yconic - EXTRA CURRICULARS? HELP PLEASE
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

EXTRA CURRICULARS? HELP PLEASE

A photo of ImPro ImPro
Im almost done my grade 11 year at highschool and I am beginning to worry about EC's since ive been not involved at all up until this point. Aside from several sports teams the most volunteering I've done is coaching a hockey team. I basically have this summer to get my sh!t together. So, what sort of EC's look best? I can't magically get a exec position in a club after never being a member so what else can I do?

Regards,

Lazy kid
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Hakureikken Hakureikken
hmm... you've made it really difficult for yourself since you have a really short amount of time left before you apply for uni next year.

I guess you could try to start a club? It's really late but if you are truly passionate about something and you pour lots of hours into it, it could potentially work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Start a club and/or tutor. You could try a summer program at a university or something like that. It's not about the number of EC's you're involved in, or even how much you're committed, it's about how well you write about it. That being said, the more EC's you are involved in, and the longer you've been involved in each one, the easier time you'll have writing a great essay about whatever EC you want to write about. Sports is always a good one (esp if you were captain), and if you can write about it in an epic manner, it should take you a long way, enough that your other EC's can be pretty average I think.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Topiary Topiary
You play hockey so you've got money!

I suggest starting (as in founding/becoming the President) an NPO to support a cause - something against racism or supporting Africans.

Also, travel to a country for a couple of weeks to help rebuild a community or build a school. Something that looks good.

If you do those two things you're SET.

Bonus time: Start up a club next year in your school. It can literally be anything. Ping Pong Club, Gay-Straight Alliance, Atheist Club - anything.

If you do those three things you'll be sailing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ImPro ImPro
Thanks alot!
@Topiary - Just because I play hockey doesnt mean I can afford to pay the $4000+ to go to Africa to build houses. The NPO is a good idea though thanks!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ren416 Ren416

@Topiary wrote
an NPO to support a cause - something against racism or supporting Africans.

Also, travel to a country for a couple of weeks to help rebuild a community or build a school. Something that looks good.

Was this helpful? Yes 0