yconic - Extra Curriculars
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Extra Curriculars

A photo of percil101 percil101
I was wondering, what kind of ECs or how many ECs would it be good to have to remain competitive when applying to Schulich, Queens etc. while having a 90+ Average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
That's a very subjective question because there are no specific ECs you must have, but commitment to activities really help. Leadership positions would also be a big help. Throughout all my applications I just emphasized how I was an all-rounder through my ECs and diversified them, I included a leadership within school, leadership out of school, and school teams. For Schulich you can list whatever amount you want, but for Queen's you have to state 5 ECs so make them good. I wouldn't worry too much about Schulich though because you can have decent involvement and still get it, they emphasize more on marks. Queen's emphasizes more on the essay so make sure you talk about ECs and tell them what sets you apart.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
To expand on what goldmansachs said, even if you have many ECs/leadership positions/long-term commitment, make sure that you are able to explain why those ECs are good (only works on some applications), and also try to show some tangible results (again, can't always do this).

You might have good ECs, but the person evaluating you might not see it that way. And vice versa- someone you think might not have good ECs could be considered to have great ECs. It's fairly subjective.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs
Yeah, think of your essays as an interview, it's the only shot you have to get them to know you personally so make every word count. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Quality > Quantity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Just fill SOMETHING out for Schulich and you'll get in 91+, Queen's weighs the essays more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whysocurious whysocurious
For Ivey & Queen's you really need to have ECs that you have had over a long period of time. They look for long term commitments. They are not interested in kids who picked up a million ECs in the last 2 years of high school. They're looking for kids who have been competing in sports since they were kids, have been volunteering substantial amounts of time for at least 3-4 years, etc... Not to say if you don't have that you won't get in, but your essays and marks better make up for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0