yconic - Extracurricular Activities - How much is enough?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Extracurricular Activities - How much is enough?

A photo of thegoal08 thegoal08
Extracurricular Activities

- Local soccer team since 2007
- Indoor soccer during winter (2007 and 2008)
- Studied Mandarin overseas during summer 2010 successfully earning a credit with a final mark of 92%.
- Took English course in summer of 2009 to lighten course load in grade 12
- School soccer team during all 4 years of high school
- Played competitive rep soccer 4 years
- Coached youth soccer last 2 years
- Co-coached youth soccer as well last 2 years
- Track & Field team during grade 9 year
- Army cadet in 2009
- O.S.A.I.D. (Ontario Students Against Drunk Driving)
- H.E.L.P. club in charge of Communications
- Outdoor club
- T.N.T. (Teens Need Teens)
- Club 222

I'm going to apply to Western and Ivey AEO this year, and I know they place a lot of emphasis on extracurricular activities and I'm not sure how my extraccuriculars stack up. I was wondering if I could get a second opinion? Do i need more? Is it well rounded?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Apparently AEO is limiting the amount of activities you can list to 3 this year.

But for all other applications, it's quality over quantity anyways. As long as you can sell what you did to have meaning, then you're good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
QUALITY not QUANTITY, like immaculatedx said. That means that you showed leadership and initiative and hopefully did something new and exciting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
Its what you do with them. For example, playing on a sports team is not a huge EC. Coaching a sports team is though. Schools want people who will be the leaders of tomorrow, by starting organizations at school, getting involved, or just showing an overall drive. So if youre the president of all those clubs that would be great, but if it was say a few hours of commitment every now and again for a group meeting or something, it just doesnt demonstrate the same level of commitment
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Pick a couple extra curriculars. As a whole, they should make you appear academically successful and have the ability to hold commitments. It doesn't hurt to have a couple more "unique" ones that make you appear human and actually interested in things. If all else fails, you can always exaggerate the extent to which you helped! Don't worry, your supplementary likely won't be carefully filtered through or checked for proof.
Was this helpful? Yes 0