yconic - EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

A photo of jennynd jennynd
In some of the scholarships I apply for they always ask to write about my extracurriculars. Do school teams/clubs count as EAs? EAs are defined as "those activites you engage in an outside academic context"
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of veronicacho92 veronicacho92
School teams and clubs definitely count as extra curricular activities. Anything really goes as long as it's outside of the academic classroom where you're taking classes that will count towards your GPA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KathleenE KathleenE
Basically anything you do that you dont get graded on counts.

Such as any school teams/clubs/student governments, volunteering outside of school, working outside of school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cynaburst cynaburst
All of the things that you have listed count as extra-curriculars. If it's after school or just outside of school, and it's relevant, feel free to put it on your application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blake414 blake414
Anything you do outside the class room counts as extra curricular activities.

like sports teams, clubs, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BLauren BLauren
Clubs count yes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Student0001 Student0001
Make sure you write in any criminal records or any illegal deeds you've done because it'll give you higher chance of being noticed. It's a great extra curricular activity to put by the way.

Make sure to let them know what you've done and who you are!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MReiser MReiser
I found the most important thing to remember was that unless they specify the time limit for extracurriculars the groups that offer scholarships are often in hearing about past extracurriculars. You might not think that what you did in junior high is relevant but it can show a continuous commitment to involvement, which they love to see!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Aima Aima
Extra curricular are great for scholarships as well as university applications. They cushion your application,so do the best you can to get into sports, student government and other clubs in your school. You can start a club as well, but do it early, otherwise it looks well, like you did it for a scholarship. Who knows, you might find what you are passionate about through the activities that you join =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kelly7501 kelly7501
Make sure outside of SCHOOL teams and clubs you write anything you do in the community,too! Do you volunteer at a youth group? play city-soccer? Put it down!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Student0001 wrote
Make sure you write in any criminal records or any illegal deeds you've done because it'll give you higher chance of being noticed. It's a great extra curricular activity to put by the way.

WTF:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JennaLynMarie JennaLynMarie
I'm entertained by the criminal record comment. Anything you do that you aren't marked or PAID for counts as an extracurricular. Good luck applying!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of richard1001 richard1001
Yes, they are counted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TanuJ TanuJ
Yes, teams, councils, (professional) sports, music, that you do counts!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tantanuy tantanuy
they do count as extra currics! some scholarships have separate parts for school-related eas and community-related eas.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Louise Louise

@blurX wrote

@Student0001 wrote

WTF:batman:

Ditto. O_O

Well thank you for posting this, I had the same question in mind. xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kathleenMARIE kathleenMARIE
:alien: Thanks guys, I was curious about it to (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@Student0001 wrote

:batman:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kdenis2 kdenis2
I don't know if you should be writing down your criminal record... If a university happens to ask if you have a record, don't conceal it but don't bring attention to it either. I don't understand that comment at all.

As for ECs. Like everyone else has said, anything you do outside of the classroom counts. If you are involved in the community through sports or volunteering write it down. Community involvement is always very valued. Universities like knowing that the person they are giving money too will likely benefit their community.

Also, if they ask for references, make sure you get some of those references from your community! Not just for paid work. Character references always look great.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
To give you a straight answer: yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Definately!
I'm involved in many EA's at my school and teams/clubs count!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leeannmartin leeannmartin
Any clubs, sports teams or anything outside of school that you participate in is considered. When completing applications that deal with this it is good to mention everything that you have participated in during high school. It is a good thing to be involved because it will help you in the end!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sroberts sroberts
Anything you are involved in counts with scholarships. They want to know what kind of person you are, and putting everything you're a part of shows that you have many interests and are well-rounded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taym taym
When it comes to scholarships, every activity you particpate in is very important. The people behind the schlorship, the ones who are deciding the winners, want to see who you are, and they want to see what you like, and what kind of activities you are involved in. Anyways, a few examples that come to mind are: school clubs, student council, sports teams, and community volunteer events.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhazz jhazz

@KathleenE wrote
Basically anything you do that you dont get graded on counts.

Such as any school teams/clubs/student governments, volunteering outside of school, working outside of school

I could be wrong but I don't think many scholarships count working outside of school as EA's, which sucks since many of us have to work in order to stay in school! :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0