yconic - Faculty switching after admission? (UBC)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Faculty switching after admission? (UBC)

A photo of keving keving
Hello guys, first time poster so i'm not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but I'll ask it here anywayz lol.

So I just wanted to know for ubc(im from BC), how hard is it to transfer/switch to another program/faculty, because I think im only able to get in arts with my marks, and I would like to transfer to science after I got in ubc, is that possible??

I mean how hard is it? or is it going to college(langara etc)first then transfer to ubc more of a wise choice
?
thnx in advance...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of theboydetective theboydetective
I asked a UBC representative this question at one of those post-secondary fairs. Their reply was a very condescending and bewildered "no", as in "how could you even ask such a stupid question?" I'm rarely offended by people's blunt indelicacies with intonation, ie. when people don't even try to feign social niceties, but I was in this case offended.

tl;dr UBC rep said no.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin
it's very possible but i doubt u can switch right away. i think people do a year at least in whatever faculty their in, maintain a high GPA before switching over.

it's not impossible like the above poster said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
It's definitely possible.
I thought about this too and I'm also from BC! :)
I thought my marks would only be good enough for Arts but I really want to go into Science, so I considered applying for Arts then transferring.
You can definitely do it, but it's not recommended.
When I went for my UBC tour, I talked to them and I told them my situation and they were like.. You should just apply for your first choice.
You wouldn't be able to transfer into Sciences right away, it might take you a few years.. especially if you want to go into a professional program like pharmacy, dentistry, etcetc.
You need to make sure you have all the required courses and credits and such.
If you're wary of getting accepted into the faculty of science, do the supplemental.
If your average is in the ballpark of 90.. anywhere from 85-89.. I would say do the supplemental and you'd have a fair chance at getting in, assuming you had some pretty outstanding extracurriculars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
It's definitely possible to transfer between faculties at UBC. I have friends who transferred from Arts to Commerce and Science to Engineering. Just maintain a high average, take as many courses as you can that are related to that faculty (so if you got into Arts, take your math and sciences first year so that you're not really behind if you transfer), and in some cases, you'll need to pick up extracurricular activities (I know Sauder requires them even for transfers).

Also, it's spelled "admission." I hope you have a good excuse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of keving keving
Ahh..I see thanks, but what is better between going to college first then transfer versus getting in arts and transfer to science, which option is better, and which one have higher chance getting in.
And thanks Zion for the heads up on the title, I typed it on my iphone... what can you expect,lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@keving wrote
Ahh..I see thanks, but what is better between going to college first then transfer versus getting in arts and transfer to science, which option is better, and which one have higher chance getting in.

I think most universities are partial to transfers from another faculty rather than another university (unless it's like Harvard), so it's probably best to go into Arts and take first-year science courses, then transfer to Science in second year.

And thanks Zion for the heads up on the title, I typed it on my iphone... what can you expect,lol.

That's a good excuse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
It would definitely be a lot easier to transfer between faculties rather than from college to UBC.
If you go with the college route, you have to get into UBC for general admission and THEN also into the faculty you want to get into.
But if you just transferred between faculties, at least you're already IN UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@cyynthiia wrote
It would definitely be a lot easier to transfer between faculties rather than from college to UBC.
If you go with the college route, you have to get into UBC for general admission and THEN also into the faculty you want to get into.
But if you just transferred between faculties, at least you're already IN UBC.

Exactly. The only reason to do it the other way would be if you want to live at home to cut costs, or something like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0