yconic - Faculty Vs. Faculty (Trash Talk) at University
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Faculty Vs. Faculty (Trash Talk) at University

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't know if this is the right section to post this thread, but anyways to those of you who are in University how often do you come across students from other Faculties or even in your own that insult other faculties?

I'm kind of worried about this because I hate how some people can be arrogant to the point where they just like to upset others.

An example is:

Faculty X insults Faculty Y on their job prospective's and career outcomes.

Or Faculty Y insults Faculty X on how they have no social life.

Is this a common thing that occurs in University?

I'm sure everyone aware of the unwritten hierarchy's we have in today's education system.
In High School it's:
Applied Vs. Academic Classes

Then when it's post secondary it's:
College Vs. University
University Vs. University
Faculty Vs. Faculty
Program Vs. Program
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of caveman caveman
The big one at Waterloo is Engineers making fun of Arts students. I'd assume this happens at almost any university.

There's some other minor ones (all it takes is for one kid in pick your faculty to start making fun of pick your other faculty), and then there's some faculty competitiveness, such as the Engineers vs the Mathies at Waterloo (they have a love-hate relationship but also a mutual respect and shared experiences and interests).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote
The big one at Waterloo is Engineers making fun of Arts students. I'd assume this happens at almost any university.

There's some other minor ones (all it takes is for one kid in pick your faculty to start making fun of pick your other faculty), and then there's some faculty competitiveness, such as the Engineers vs the Mathies at Waterloo (they have a love-hate relationship but also a mutual respect and shared experiences and interests).

Funny you say that, my sister was one of those Engineering undergrads at Waterloo who would usually make fun of the Arts students. I have a feeling I'd get into a major argument with an engineering student, my dads an engineer and he has that "engineering attitude" LOL
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I hear U of T students rip on Ryerson ALL THE TIME. It really irritates me as it comes off as very arrogant. There's always an element of the program vs program competitiveness, but it's mostly just for fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

Funny you say that, my sister was one of those Engineering undergrads at Waterloo who would usually make fun of the Arts students. I have a feeling I'd get into a major argument with an engineering student, my dads an engineer and he has that "engineering attitude" LOL

Yeah, that's really the only faculty that consistently makes fun of another faculty. You're going to get some engineers who have that "attitude" and make a big deal of it, and you're going to have those that don't care (see here), or at least won't say anything.

Almost every engineer at Waterloo seems to know this joke (or slight variations of it):

The graduate with a Science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an Engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an Accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an Arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
I hear U of T students rip on Ryerson ALL THE TIME. It really irritates me as it comes off as very arrogant. There's always an element of the program vs program competitiveness, but it's mostly just for fun.

Yeah, the same for Waterloo vs Laurier. Some of it is just a friendly competitiveness (they are right down the road from each other) but some people take it really far. The Laurier students make often make fun of Waterloo students for being nerds who do nothing but study and have no social skills (all of the massive stereotypes), but Waterloo students throw in the "I'll have a job" and "your program/school is stupid and useless" type of thing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

Yeah, that's really the only faculty that consistently makes fun of another faculty. You're going to get some engineers who have that "attitude" and make a big deal of it, and you're going to have those that don't care (see here), or at least won't say anything.

Almost every engineer at Waterloo seems to know this joke (or slight variations of it):

LOL "Do you want fries with that"

That's a good one I must say :P

But in all seriousness I'm sure the majority of people going into Arts and Science understand that they'll need to go beyond their Bachelors level education to actually make a career out of their degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uncharted1111 uncharted1111
We have a pretty awesome rivalry with one of our peer schools. We trash talk each other at sporting events and crack jokes about them but most of the time it's all in good spirit. However I know someone who takes our prestige and rivalries way too seriously. I just came back from a conference hosted at another peer school and he couldn't help but mention to people that our school's endowment is much larger than the hosting school's endowment and acted condescendingly to the students from other schools. I have never wanted to tell someone to shut up more in my entire life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AgriGen AgriGen

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

But in all seriousness I'm sure the majority of people going into Arts and Science understand that they'll need to go beyond their Bachelors level education to actually make a career out of their degree.

Its sad that we have to get a masters just to get a career. Extra time + money.. wheres an undergrad suffices for some other majors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AgriGen wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

@Medic93 wrote

@caveman wrote

Its sad that we have to get a masters just to get a career. Extra time + money.. wheres an undergrad suffices for some other majors.

Well in my cause I seriously love the fact that I can stay in University for like 10 years, If I can do research and work with other grad students and profs/researchers making contributions to science I don't mind. I know If I go all the way with my plans for Neuropsychology I'll be spending a long time in Uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
At Mac, most faculties rip on health scis. Mostly that we're all condescending and uptight snobs, that profs let us choose our own grades, and that the program is ridiculously easy.

Not really sure which faculty gets ragged on the most at Guelph, because their arts programs are quite well respected so it's probably not the traditional science/eng vs. arts.

Oh and for inter-school rivalry..both schools I went to hate Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yep. Like a lot of people have said, I think there's a mutual respect between science students and engineering students and a belief that all other faculties are subordinate. A lot of my fellow science students would think the psychology courses I took were a joke and would wonder why I was studying for them, as they must be super-easy.

As for inter-school rivalry, Western-Queen's is definitely a big one, probably the biggest rivalry of all Canadian university rivalries. It's a fun one though. Nobody takes it too seriously. I'm sure it stems simply from the fact that a lot of people who go to those two schools had to decide just which one they preferred most and now, after-the-fact, are seeking more justification for that choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0