yconic - Failed a UBC science course
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Failed a UBC science course

A photo of jzrevolution jzrevolution
Hi, everyone:

I'm currently in the faculty of science and I'm planning to transfer to commerce or arts next year, but I failed a course (biol 112) at UBC.

I wonder if I will still be able to apply for faculty transfer even with a F on my transcript.

But more importantly, will I even be in UBC after failing a course......

Can someone please kindly clear my doubts. Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of AbinahTee AbinahTee
What are your other marks like? I'm pretty sure you can still transfer
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cjt cjt

@jzrevolution wrote
Hi, everyone:

I'm currently in the faculty of science and I'm planning to transfer to commerce or arts next year, but I failed a course (biol 112) at UBC.

I wonder if I will still be able to apply for faculty transfer even with a F on my transcript.

But more importantly, will I even be in UBC after failing a course......

Can someone please kindly clear my doubts. Thanks.

Ah, Biol 112. I know a lot of other people who didn't enjoy that one. Did you have Spiegelman? I love him.

Anyway, I just looked up the commerce transfer requirements. You need a minimum GPA of 2, which you likely have even with a failed course, and you need to have taken the courses on their list. Here's what it says, from this page: http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,199,295,131

[size=4]College/University Transfer Students (including UBC students transferring faculties)
Students who have completed 27 transferable credits (with a minimum grade point average of 2.00 on a 4-point scale) at an accredited post-secondary institution are eligible to be considered for admission to second year of the B.Com. program. Students must have completed the following UBC courses (or their equivalents):

ENGL 112 (ASTU 150, ENGL 100, Arts One or a Coordinated Arts Program satisfying the 3-credit Writing component of the Faculty of Arts Writing and Research requirement is acceptable), with a minimum grade of 60%
ECON 101 and 102
MATH 104
15-18 credits of electives

Electives must not include any business courses. Statistics courses will be included in the admission average; however, they will not count toward the B.Com. program. Applicants to the B.Com. program are required to complete all core courses in English, economics, and mathematics, as these are prerequisites to most second year courses. Students must complete the above courses by the document deadline of June 30.

Admission to Year 2 of the B.Com. program is based on academic performance and overall records of leadership and accomplishment. Successful applicants are motivated and focused, actively participate in extracurricular activities, and demonstrate leadership potential and teamwork skills.

Admission and grade point average requirements are available from the Faculty.[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jzrevolution jzrevolution
my grades are like this so far:

biol 112: 39%
math 102: 66%
phys 101: 66%
chem 121: 56%

next semester I'm taking (have to take 6 classes because I failed one in semester 1):

engl 112
math 101
ling 100
ling 101
econ 102
japn 100

I will be taking econ 101 in the summer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0