yconic - Failing a course?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Failing a course?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi there. I'm looking to apply to UBC Arts and the average of my top four courses is approximately 90% , but I am failing another course, unrelated to the faculty. I've heard that when you apply you need to enter in all your course marks, however, they will only take your top 4. My question is, especially since UBC is trying to do more broad based admissions this year, will having a low/failing percent in this course but high marks in the other ones affect my admission?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Joshki Joshki
That depends on how many completed grade 12 courses you have when submitting your marks. If you only have 4, then they'll use all 4 to calculate your average. If you already had completed grade 12 courses, then they'll take the top 6. With that being said, if you have all 90s except 1 failed course and someone else had all 90s, preferences may be given to the all 90s studnet according to UBC.

If ur failing a course, you should really drop it before full disclosure.....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of OnionMage OnionMage

@Joshki wrote
That depends on how many completed grade 12 courses you have when submitting your marks. If you only have 4, then they'll use all 4 to calculate your average. If you already had completed grade 12 courses, then they'll take the top 6. With that being said, if you have all 90s except 1 failed course and someone else had all 90s, preferences may be given to the all 90s studnet according to UBC.

If ur failing a course, you should really drop it before full disclosure.....

Doesn't UBC only use your top 4 courses to calculate your admission average? Where did the "top 6" come from? Also, I'm pretty sure that you are guaranteed a spot in UBC Arts with a 90% average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Im from Ontario and for us, it uses the top 6 courses, might be different in other provinces.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
The best way to find out is to call UBC and ask them how they calculate admissions averages.
Was this helpful? Yes 0