yconic - Failling student wanting to go to University?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Failling student wanting to go to University?

A photo of ticklemuffin ticklemuffin
If you can pull your marks up into at least the mid 70s for grade 12 you can probably get into university somewhere. You could definitely get into college. It sounds like you've been screwing up for a while, it would take a pretty big transformation for you to change in grade 12 (it won't happen easily).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
If you can pull your marks up into at least the mid 70s for grade 12 you can probably get into university somewhere. You could definitely get into college. It sounds like you've been screwing up for a while, it would take a pretty big transformation for you to change in grade 12 (it won't happen easily).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stoichiometry stoichiometry
You'll probably have to go to college and then transfer to university. But definitely try harder.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan
All I can say is that if you're really serious about wanting to go to university, you'll fix your habits at no cost. There's no drug or special voodoo top performing students have. It's all about your focus, organization and priorities.

I don't want to say this but if you don't see yourself doing well in grade 12, then you can see why you weren't serious about going to university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhenry137 jhenry137
I have to agree with a lot of these responses. If you absolutely want to do better, you need to try. You need to be organized and adament on sticking to a schedule. It's not too late to try, that's for sure. You can get into a college and transfer over, or you can do a victory lap after you graduate or even take a few extra classes in summer school, night school or online courses. There are plenty of options! Good luck! :thumleft:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of willotree willotree
If you are not going into a math based program and have good/decent marks for English and prerequisite then you are good to go. However, if you are going into the sciences & math I definitely recommend you working extra harder if it is your passion. Don't let anyone discourage you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mnborka mnborka
Here's the deal, Im terrible at math aswell, have never done well. I ended up taking calc multiple times and finally got a 70. I did have to take an extra semester in gr13 and i really didnt want to but it was so worth it.I got into u of t :) so ask me any questions, i have been exactly where you are. find a loop hole too-regarding where you want to go in uni. I applied to humanities (which doesnt req calc in top 6) but got in anyways with my 70 in my top six ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

So it's not too late to try hard?

I'm getting a 93% in English. So I guess that is good but the thing is..... I just don't want my universities to look at my Grade 11 marks for Term 1 and 2. Term 3 I am determined to get it up........
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course not, grade 11 marks are only for early acceptance and a 93% in english is a really good mark. What programs are you planning to get into? Check university websites and their prereqs. If you aren't going into sciences or engineering your math mark won't even matter because it isn't a prerequisite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

Thank you for the reply.

The thing is, I don't know what program I want to be in yet. I know I want to be a teacher for sure. If the employment rates in Canada are not very high for teachers by the time I graduate, I want to teach abroad..

I'm only taking Maths because I know it opens more pathways, even though it isn't my best subject....

I don't know how to choose a program to go into, I don't really have a specific interest in mind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey no problem! I am only in grade 10 but I have done my research for post secondary!

Also if you want to become a teacher you should look into it, google will be your best friend. If you check university websites they list the prerequisite courses you need. A helpful website for me is: http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/page.php?id=35

You can find a list of programs, what courses you need to take, an admission mark. If you want to become an elementary teacher I'm sure it doesn't matter what undergrad you do.. I think you can go into math, social science, english, it doesn't matter. However a highschool teacher might be a different case since you are teaching a specific subject. Make sure you check that out since I am not exactly sure.

If you don't have any specific interest in mind then it is good to keep your options open like you stated. However, I am not discouraging you but if math is not your forte, you can't force yourself because it will only get harder in university right? But if you are passionate and believe you have room for improvement then for sure keep working at it. Remember, do not let anyone discourage you or make you feel less about yourself because at the end of the day you are the one who is choosing the pathway for your future. Do what you love because you seem like an amazing person (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@ticklemuffin wrote
In Grade 10, I completely messed up. My marks were really bad in Grade 10. Well, actually they were okay, but my math mark... I failed math in Grade 10 with a 43%.

So I went to summer school and got a 65%.
Which still isn't very good.

In Grade 11, I was going to try harder, but I messed up my first term and most of my second term. Pretty much a big half of the year.
I'm still failing Math with a 47%. I got 33% first term, but right now I'm getting 47%. My teacher is really stubborn and even though I've done pretty well recently, I just don't seem to be passing still?

The thing is, all my other courses, I'm getting like 60s.
I know it's because I haven't done my fair share of work earlier in the year.

Is it too late to try hard? I just want to get into university.

Will my terrible background in Math for both Grade 10 and most of Grade 11 screw me over? I know in Grade 12 I will get back on track, I have more motivation already.

But, the thing is. If I've already screwed up, I don't know how I'm going to get back on track.

Well, judging from what you have said about math... stay away from UW next year :) Haha, you can do anything you set your mind to, and I KNOW that is pretty cliché, but it is very true. Use the remainder of grade 11 to begin changing your work habbits slowly, and take everything one day at a time. Here is a list of things you can do, to ensure you begin changing your ways:
-If your problems are rooted with homework: ALWAYS DO HOMEWORK! Especially in Math and Science! There's no way you can consolidate the concepts taught in class unless you practice them at home.
-If your problems are related to tests and test taking atmospheres: DON'T PSYCH YOURSELF OUT! Approach every problem with a positive mind set, and if you cannot figure it out within 30 seconds of reading and analyzing then SKIP IT, and COME BACK after.
-If your problem is with the computer/TV/electronics: Turn off the computer unless you need it for schoolwork, OR just lock it with a password. Make the password something long, and hard to type out so you won't want to waste time in typing it out. Cover your tv with a blanket, or do anything to keep your mind focussed on your work. Electronics off as well, unless you enjoy a little music while working.

Set times, and become organized:
-Working for 1 hour, taking a 10 minute break to get a small snack/fruit.
-Take everything day by day, but be prepared for upcoming days with calenders or agendas.
-If you get a bad mark on a test: focus on what you have done before, and what you can do after. If you're doing well so far, then one test might not hurt you that much. If you don't know how well you're doing so far, and it's your first test, then TRY HARDER and DON'T GIVE UP!

IN THE SUMMER:
-Create a list of goals for grade 12, print it out, LAMINATE IT SO IT DOESN'T GET DAMAGED, and pin it up above your desk. Everytime you accomplish one of the goals, cut off that piece from list and put it in a safe place. If you're ever feeling depressed, find all the goals you've accomplished up to that point as a reminder of how far you've come.

WHEN YOU START TO APPLY TO SCHOOLS:
-Apply to places where you KNOW you can be admitted, and you KNOW you'll want to study.
-Apply to programs that offer things you WANT to learn, not things that you NEED to learn.
-If you need to learn biochemistry for a job your parents want you to fulfill, but you want to study history, then study HISTORY :)
-Don't waste money on schools that are too far away, or that you know you won't go to. APPLICATIONS ARE EXPENSIVE! Use your money wisely!

THE BEST OF LUCK IN GRADE 12, PRINT THIS LIST OUT IF YOU FEEL THAT IT WILL HELP! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SuccessIsLife SuccessIsLife
I thought yours was bad. In Grade 10 & 11 I didn't try at all whatsoever and pulled a 63% average. In grade 12 was when I knew I had to focus and at the end pulled an 81% average I got accepted two weeks before. End of the day, if you try really hard and pull yourself just to a 75% you could even get into some sciences in some Universities. But no worries with a 75% you'll still get somewhere. Don't stress and let your adrenaline work for you. Don't study like a maniac and take it easy but DO YOUR WORK! The work load that's done is what really count. DO YOUR WORK AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE! If you're taking Chem physics and Bio and you're planning to go to a science program in Uni and not an Engineering program then Drop Bio. But make sure you're taking the Advanced Functions. Calculus and Vectors is not really needed but you could take it.

Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
As for your marks, you don't need to worry too much. I mean, don't expect early acceptance, but really, it's Grade 12 marks that they actually look at, no matter what other people say :)
But look, you really have to get down and dirty with your homework and focus. I can tell you, I'm an 88% average student, but it takes SO MUCH work to get an average like that. Luckily I worked hard throughout high school, so I've been a straight 88% average student throughout high school. But you really need to change your habits. ALWAYS do your homework. You can maybe slack one day or two if you have too much, but seriously. Especially for math. I can tell you, I'm not the best at math, even though I do ALL my homework and study my butt off, I still have a 69% at the moment -_-. I suggest applying into a Humanities program instead of a math, if it's not your forte. ALWAYS do assignments. Never accept a zero.

You can do it :) Just got to work for it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@ticklemuffin wrote
In Grade 10, I completely messed up. My marks were really bad in Grade 10. Well, actually they were okay, but my math mark... I failed math in Grade 10 with a 43%.

So I went to summer school and got a 65%.
Which still isn't very good.

In Grade 11, I was going to try harder, but I messed up my first term and most of my second term. Pretty much a big half of the year.
I'm still failing Math with a 47%. I got 33% first term, but right now I'm getting 47%. My teacher is really stubborn and even though I've done pretty well recently, I just don't seem to be passing still?

The thing is, all my other courses, I'm getting like 60s.
I know it's because I haven't done my fair share of work earlier in the year.

Is it too late to try hard? I just want to get into university.

Will my terrible background in Math for both Grade 10 and most of Grade 11 screw me over? I know in Grade 12 I will get back on track, I have more motivation already.

But, the thing is. If I've already screwed up, I don't know how I'm going to get back on track.

This is an incredibly simple problem. Try to pass Gr.11 math, then take no maths in Gr.12. If you suck at sciences, don't take them in Gr.12. if your struggling in these courses in high school trust me you don't want to study them in university. Follow your strengths. If your good at English, I strongly recommend going into a liberal arts program for undergrad and doing a masters afterwards in a related field. I failed Gr.11 math. Now I'm in university getting a high gpa, preparing to go to law school because I followed my strengths and interests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
Do you do your math homework everyday? You must be motivated in doing your math homework everyday and reviewing. ( I should do that for next year so don't worry you're not the only one)

I've got a 60-something in grade 10 math then I got a 77 in grade 11 but in grade 11 math I never did my homework I just reviewed the day before a test; which I didn't in grade 10...

Anyways my point is review, review and review more. If that doesn't help then ask for extra help or even find a tutor. The smartest students in my class gets like 90s+ with ethier tutors or they do their homework everyday and review. It's seem quite hard at first but it is very do-able.

Good luck! Hopefully you will get into a good university... see you there ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatWarrior1995 CatWarrior1995
Edit: Double posted... my apologies!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted