yconic - Fast Tracking through uni
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Fast Tracking through uni

A photo of izumiisa izumiisa
I'm currently in my First year and I was told yesterday that I could potentially graduate in two years. (So two more winter terms and one summer.)

Conflict ensues.

If I fast track, I will only be getting my degree requirements. (No French minor that I was thinking about.) Also, no co-op.

BUT. I'd have only done 3 years, instead of the 5 that is usually required for co-op. I could go straight to grad school. I could take those years to travel or work. Or both...

Thoughts?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
..don't fasttrack..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Don't. Undergrad is awesome and you'll most likely regret not spending more time in that stage of your life.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I completed undergrad in 3 years because I got into professional school but if I could have deferred my acceptance and completed a 4th year before moving on, I 100% would have. And I was pursuing a psych minor (3 courses short of obtaining it), didn't get that either. True I'm shaving a year's time + tuition/other expenses off, but it's worth it to slow down and spend more time with your friends, enjoy new experiences etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
whats the hurry
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cookietiara cookietiara
Do it. Why bother spend another year doing undergrad when you can move onto the next stage of your life?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You plan to do graduate school afterwards? From what I've been told it's better to take some graduate level courses in your field study in upper years than to fast track. Did you have a load of credits from APs or something?

Fast tracking through uni is much more common in the USA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
If you plan on going to grad school I think you will severely hurt your chances if you fast track. You will miss out on being able to take relevant courses as well as the ability to gain research experience and build relationships with your professors.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
I'd like to fast track if possible. Might as well try to make up the two years I've lost running around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
Will fast tracking bring down or raise you GPA average?
You want to have your transcript look good as well.

Are you truly thinking of applying for graduate school?
^Some grad schools like students who are able to finish their education early,
but some expect you to finish 4 years of undergraduate education. You need to research the schools you are planning to apply to see what fits with your future plans.

Sure you will be able to save some money, but will you be facepalming at the fact that you didn't finish some requirements that could have made your degree even more valuable?

It's your call.

Just think about your future plans first.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
Why?

If you really are not enjoying and learning much at undergrad, by all means go for it.

What are you going into grad school for exactly? What are your career goals? Does having a more solid undergrad experience or maturity or life experience or work experience help your odds of getting into grad school OR help with your success at grad school?

It's not a race. You have the rest of your total life ahead of you. Hurry up...to do what exactly?
Was this helpful? Yes 0