yconic - F*CK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

F*CK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
Star investigation on "private schools", a term that pops up quite a few times here....

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1054778

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1054780

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1055379

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1055391

Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of garethdomingo garethdomingo
There's a school in my area called Beacon. You pay 1000$, all of a sudden your 85% in calculus becomes a 99%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul

@garethdomingo wrote
There's a school in my area called Beacon. You pay 1000$, all of a sudden your 85% in calculus becomes a 99%.

I EARNED TWO 99%'s with pure sweat and blood!

I don't know if you guys have any idea how ridiculously difficult it was in the normal school system at a reputable high school in my city.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
This is nothing new for me and the hard working students of my enhanced learning school. Students (We like to call them delinquents or mainstreams) go to Beacon and they turn their 52 in Advanced Func. into a 95. I think this is outrageous. However, there ARE private schools like UCC and Appleby that are very prestigious and have the best teachers in the country which deserve their marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of JohnC JohnC
i worked my ass off on adv function, and yet, I didn't get 99%. Even the smartest person in school didn't get 99%. Private school is BS, fking unfair
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of w18 w18
Don't worry so much! Admission officers in all the universities know this. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SevenFlow SevenFlow

@w18 wrote

^this. and like VladimirB said there are private high schools in Ontario where students do have to earn their marks and take enriched curriculums (Appleby, UTS, Crescent, UCC, Appleby, St.Mike's).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@SevenFlow wrote

@w18 wrote

^this. and like VladimirB said there are private high schools in Ontario where students do have to earn their marks and take enriched curriculums (Appleby, UTS, Crescent, UCC, Appleby, St.Mike's).

There's plenty of kids that get accepted to top business programs that paid for their marks. Some of these kids will fail in first year, but it's not as if admissions officers see this little glowing button beside their name that says they bought their marks, and then they hit that button as fast as they can to reject them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94
Although it is a huge problem, I'm pretty sure if you don't have a firm grasp of the basic math/writing concepts, you'll fall flat on your face during first year. But yes it's unfair and lots of kids (around 20+) at my school take private school courses to get their marks up so they can get into uni. Many of these kids are going into business too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@greatwallpaul wrote
F*CK EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

umadbro?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
This is probably why Ontario/Canada needs standardized testing for secondary school students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround
Honestly, who cares.

These are the kids who get into programs too tough for them, pay all sorts of tuition and fees, and drop out after a month. You should be thanking them for funding your education.

In my opinion, if you are totally busting your ass just to get that 99 in calc, you need to evaluate your priorities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shandal shandal

@BudsFan94 wrote
Although it is a huge problem, I'm pretty sure if you don't have a firm grasp of the basic math/writing concepts, you'll fall flat on your face during first year. But yes it's unfair and lots of kids (around 20+) at my school take private school courses to get their marks up so they can get into uni. Many of these kids are going into business too.

My english is alright, i got an 88, and an 83 on the exam. my advanced functions mark is a 91, and an 89 on the exam. Calculus is like ranging from low to mid 80s, but i have a 85ish so far...i don't try in school at all and get these marks.(no my teachers are not easy, i just have a high iq and learn quickly i guess) but still, if you were to give me basic math, id have some trouble....but if i learn the course from a teacher, textbook i can do very well. i guess im kinda textbook smart in math. English...everyone's got basic english lol. But im worried about math in first year uni...you have any comments or suggestions? thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of viii viii

@kiddinaround wrote
Honestly, who cares.

These are the kids who get into programs too tough for them, pay all sorts of tuition and fees, and drop out after a month. You should be thanking them for funding your education.

In my opinion, if you are totally busting your ass just to get that 99 in calc, you need to evaluate your priorities.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0