yconic - Final Decision
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Final Decision

A photo of NuEra NuEra
kay so I want to pursue a CA designation, my options are Laurier BBA, Rotman Commerce, Schulich BBA and AFM-FM at waterloo, i am not 100% sure if i want to do accounting, however im leaning towards it, but still I am not 100% sure about accounting which is why im confused of whether or not i should go to afm-fm, but my requirements are basically a fun university experience as well as a top degree to easily pursue a CA designation, any thoughts on which univeristy to attend out of my four options?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of Asharq Asharq
Rotman or Laurier ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NuEra NuEra
LOL you snapped ;P after this, im doneeeee, noo idea where to gooo holyyy
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq
LOOOL as soon as I came home, I just logged into this :P
I am now like 70/30 Rotman/Laurier.
Im like in the same boat as you, I wanna be an accountant but then again I don't want to limit my options at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simplySimple simplySimple
Laurier seems to be the perfect fit imo
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NuEra NuEra
care to elaborate simply? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq

@simplySimple wrote

So you would rank Laurier over Rotman? For someone unsure about where exactly they are heading?

Where does Rotman and Laurier rank in terms of Accounting, Management or Finance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq

@simplySimple wrote

So you would rank Laurier over Rotman? For someone unsure about where exactly they are heading?

Where does Rotman and Laurier rank in terms of Accounting, Management or Finance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
They are all good schools. Since you are unsure of whether or not you want to become a CA, AFM might not be the best choice for you.

All schools are recruited, and all have obvious pros (whether it be reputation, co-op, w/e).

Consider the schools themselves. Campus, rez, atmosphere, social life, city, people, etc. Even consider costs if they are a concern.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
I say Schulich all the way. If you are unsure of what you want to do, then you can pursue Schulich accounting and then fall back on a pretty well-recognized education for marketing or finance specialization.

Laurier is alright, you'll have fun but you're not necessarily guaranteed co-op (you need the high average).

Also, the "fun" factor is pretty subjective. Sure, Schulich is at York, but the night-life is good because you'll go to either Toronto house parties or night clubs etc. Laurier parties are probably more traditional fun.

Either way, I'd consider academics first, and then see where that takes you, and then consider the "fun" factor.

Also, if you're talking about fun, def. take Rotman out of the picture lol. The only fun you'll be getting is grinding through the profs curving your average to 60%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NuEra NuEra
if you were to compare schulich bba with laurier bba with co-op, like say you got co-op in laurier bba, which would be better? in terms of education, not fun, in terms of recruitment and a better chance at landing a highhh paying job or a CA designation or a MBA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@NuEra wrote
if you were to compare schulich bba with laurier bba with co-op, like say you got co-op in laurier bba, which would be better? in terms of education, not fun, in terms of recruitment and a better chance at landing a highhh paying job or a CA designation or a MBA

Ignoring the MBA bit, as long as you get co-op at Laurier you will be on par with Schulich students. Remember, if you can't get into co-op at Laurier or can't get an internship, you aren't landing a top job at Schulich.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq
Hey G93, do you know approx. how many BBA kids get Co-op second year? not like the total applicants, just BBA
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Asharq wrote
Hey G93, do you know approx. how many BBA kids get Co-op second year? not like the total applicants, just BBA

SBE co-op numbers range from 225-300. This year they are taking ~235.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Asharq Asharq

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

Laurier takes in about 900 BBA kids right? So are all these kids (plus econ+global studies)competing for 230 spots. Do you know the percent of BBA kids that apply are able to land in the co op centre?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Asharq wrote

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

Laurier takes in about 900 BBA kids right? So are all these kids (plus econ+global studies)competing for 230 spots. Do you know the percent of BBA kids that apply are able to land in the co op centre?

~600+ SBE students are applying
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Asharq Asharq

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

So lets say you make into that 235, does that mean you are for sure getting a co op placement or are you just given access to co op jobs and apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Asharq wrote

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

Last years Co-op stats> 600 applied for 225-235 spots which is 38%. There are around 900 students in the program and I'm guessing only 600 of them make the Co-op 8GPA cut-off and therefore apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Asharq wrote

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

@g93 wrote

@Asharq wrote

So lets say you make into that 235, does that mean you are for sure getting a co op placement or are you just given access to co op jobs and apply?

The latter. Laurier SBE has a 97% co-op placement. I have heard BBA is somewhere around 94%, although I can't confirm that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0