yconic - Final vs Midterm
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Final vs Midterm

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I want to get into Western for Business Admin. My average is 85.5, so I'm within their admission range

Only problem is that my Advanced Fuctions mark is low (66%), and I figure by the end of first semester it will be at 75%. So I have two questions:

Will they look at the functions mark specifically when deciding on acceptance (It's a prerequisite)?

Also, I plan on taking functions again next semester, and I know that Western will take your repeat mark over your initial. But I don't know if they do this for mid-terms

If I take the course again the very next semester, will they take my second semester mid-term over my first semester final?

This is getting me pretty damn nervous...

Thanks in advance for any answers or help

[size=8]EDIT[/size]

I emailed the admissions department regarding this issue, and I received the following reply:

...When a student repeats a course, we simply take the higher of the two grades. Our last offer round is based on the marks available at the end of April. If you had a midterm that was higher in April then this would replace your previously obtained final mark.

I hope that helps anyone with a similar question
So I'm definitely happy, I'll work my mark up to a 90 next semester and hopefully get into Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
They will look at your final mark anyway in June, all offers are conditional, but yeah just to be safe make sure your mid term mark is high
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mas40 Mas40
I don't think that any university will look at your midterms for your first semester. They will look at your final first semester and your midterms second semester.
Also, if advanced functions is a prerequisite for your program, then they will consider it, for sure...Good luck:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim
They will definitely look at the Advanced Functions mark.

Not sure if your mark for Advanced Functions in second semester will be the mark they see.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
I think you should call or email the university admissions department. They would be able to give you the information your looking for. As far as i know, only UFT are concerned with repeated courses. Maybe, you should send them a separate letter for why your repeating AF. I know Schulich wants a letter and a reason for repeating it. I myself am considering to repeat AF. Anyhow, Good Luck (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Follow up: I emailed the admissions department a few days ago and I got the reply email today. I've added the reply to the original post
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nehalkazim nehalkazim
That's great news! All the best!
Was this helpful? Yes 0