yconic - Finance : QC vs. Laurier BBA/Fin Math
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Finance : QC vs. Laurier BBA/Fin Math

A photo of durres durres
Hi everyone, I still haven't been able to make a decision lol. I've got some advice from a few people here but I am just curious if anyone else has thoughts on this.

I am planning to pursuit a CFA and i've broke it down to these two schools (over afm-fm) queen's commerce and laurier bba/financial math. I know that queen's is perstigiou but how much will that help, won't it be better to have a co-op job at laurier and have a connection with your employer even before you graduate. Also is it possible to get a good summer job if I were to go to Queen's (i.e.) summer jobs. I am really lost lol, so if someone whose been to one of these programs, or whose going there, if you can please let me know why to chose that program?

Thank you to anyone who responds, I really appreciate your time!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Queen's gets better placements - better recruitment and better alumni network.

Laurier BBA/Fin Math isn't as good as the BBA/Bmath, which is good for quant jobs supposedly. The BBA/Fin Math is good, but QC is better.

I'm not really a finance guy, so that's all I can tell you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres

@g93 wrote

Laurier BBA/Fin Math isn't as good as the BBA/Bmath, which is good for quant jobs supposedly. The BBA/Fin Math is good, but QC is better.

I'm not really a finance job, so that's all I can tell you.

thanks for the response g93, I've read other posts of yours which have been really helpful thank for that :P

Also I know alot of people say queen's has better placemnents, recruitment, alumni etc. but is thre a website or something where I can find this information because I've been looking and I can't seem to find anything. I say that because I've heard alot of grads without any work experiernce (co-op) have a hard tiem finding a job ( specifically a few queen's grads I know of). Just curuious what are quant jobs lol. Thaks again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@durres wrote

@g93 wrote

I'm not really a finance guy, so that's all I can tell you.

thanks for the response g93, I've read other posts of yours which have been really helpful thank for that :P

Also I know alot of people say queen's has better placemnents, recruitment, alumni etc. but is thre a website or something where I can find this information because I've been looking and I can't seem to find anything. I say that because I've heard alot of grads without any work experiernce (co-op) have a hard tiem finding a job ( specifically a few queen's grads I know of). Just curuious what are quant jobs lol. Thaks again.

There are salary/employment reports somewhere.

Some people know how many people got placements where for QC and programs like Ivey as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst

Quants in the simplest term possible is someone in finance who uses math/calc/technical stuff a lot. <- Super over simplified version btw :P
Supposedly UW/WLU DD and engineering or CS degrees or engineering/CS DDs are good for that.

I really don't know a lot about finance. I will but out here and let someone else take over.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca
going to ivey/QC doesnt mean ur guaranteed a job upon graduation..

I dont really know about Laurier, but seems like a good number of QC kids have landed some decent finance job during the summer of junior yr. Actually quite a few QC kids have landed finance jobs at the big four (Ernst & Young, KPMG .. etc.) and some have got their summer internships at BB (CS, MS, Barcap .. etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres

@GoBarca wrote

I dont really know about Laurier, but seems like a good number of QC kids have landed some decent finance job during the summer of junior yr. Actually quite a few QC kids have landed finance jobs at the big four (Ernst & Young, KPMG .. etc.) and some have got their summer internships at BB (CS, MS, Barcap .. etc)

Yea i was thinking about getting a summer job, but when school ends its between april-august i believe, and I'm not sure if companies hire during that time.

PS manu is winning tomorrow :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@durres wrote

@GoBarca wrote

Yea i was thinking about getting a summer job, but when school ends its between april-august i believe, and I'm not sure if companies hire during that time.

PS manu is winning tomorrow :P

maybe i should phrase it better, i meant they have landed some decent finance jobs FOR the summer ...

generally internships last for 6 ~ 8 weeks (july&august) and dont worry about it, u will know when the recruiting season begins : )
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@g93 wrote

What's the difference between BBA/Fin Math and BBA/Bmath?

I don't know too much about QC, but in my opinion, the Math background at Waterloo might be an advantage to have if you are going into Finance. A CFA (Although from what I understand from my friends parents in IB, a dying designation) is nice but I imagine you will want to pursue an MBA or a Masters in Finance/Economics at some point, where Math skills will be a big advantage.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

I don't know too much about QC, but in my opinion, the Math background at Waterloo might be an advantage to have if you are going into Finance. A CFA (Although from what I understand from my friends parents in IB, a dying designation) is nice but I imagine you will want to pursue an MBA or a Masters in Finance/Economics at some point, where Math skills will be a big advantage.

The BBA/Fin Math is at Laurier only, not Waterloo. Hence it not being as good. Still decent, but QC is likely a better choice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Asset Management Finance - perhaps your DD will be better
Corporate Finance - QC

Where you should go: depends on your fit with the school and learning style.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

What do you mean by a dying designation, I've heard that CFA is an international designation, and needed around the world (from what I understand, I'm not sure, I talked to Patty from Waterloo and that was her opinion )

Also on another note, is accounting very important in finance, would it be more important than financial math, b/c at waterloo afm you learn both in accounting and finance)

Alsoo I know alot of people say good things about Queens (I love the campus) but its very hard to get a job after you graduate, and I've talked to a few professors from different schools, and different programs and they all emphasize the importance of co-op, as most likely you can land a job with your co-op employer before graduating.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@durres wrote

@kiddinaround wrote

@g93 wrote

What do you mean by a dying designation, I've heard that CFA is an international designation, and needed around the world (from what I understand, I'm not sure, I talked to Patty from Waterloo and that was her opinion )

Also on another note, is accounting very important in finance, would it be more important than financial math, b/c at waterloo afm you learn both in accounting and finance)

Alsoo I know alot of people say good things about Queens (I love the campus) but its very hard to get a job after you graduate, and I've talked to a few professors from different schools, and different programs and they all emphasize the importance of co-op, as most likely you can land a job with your co-op employer before graduating.

It depends on what kind of finance job you are talking about.. co-op is great but u prob wont have access to some top firms.. if your not that ambitious and u simply wanna "get a job" after u graduate, then it doesnt really matter which one u go?

btw, u chose the wrong team, Man U got owned, so be careful choosing ur school : p
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of durres durres
It depends on what kind of finance job you are talking about.. co-op is great but u prob wont have access to some top firms.. if your not that ambitious and u simply wanna "get a job" after u graduate, then it doesnt really matter which one u go?

btw, u chose the wrong team, Man U got owned, so be careful choosing ur school : p[/quote]

LOL I know I was so disappoined, but its just b.c i like Rooney lol :P

But I think you can get a job at top firms any school you go to if you're at the top of your class with good ecs. I've heard of kids at waterlooo going to wall street, and laurier kids working at the trump tower.

I think that at luarier the advantage is you learn techincal skills like financial math and can concenctrate in finance with the bba, at waterloo you learn accounting and finance, and at qeens you can specialize in accounting or finance and most likely develop soft skills. I guess one has to chose which is most important to them :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0