yconic - Finance, or Computer Science?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Finance, or Computer Science?

A photo of waazup waazup
Having a decision. Let's get one thing straight - I got only a bit of programming experience, but I believe I can enjoy being in computer scientist. My passion is also in the finance sector of business, or let's just say business as a whole. Now, I read that comp sci is growing, so is finance. Computer science just seems more "easier" to do, less stress, get hired, etc. Computer science programs also require a lower average. Now, I was thinking a DD in Western with Ivey + Comp sci, but now that I look back at it - it looks like it can be REALLY tough. Usually, I like being one of the top students. Doing these 2 concurrently in my 4th/5th year - will it affect me? Remember, computer science is heavily based on MATH and algorithms, etc. HBA is just a tough program since it's jam-packed with all terminology + math. I can end up doing below my potential in both perhaps, if I do them at the same time. But maybe I am underestimating myself?

I can also do computer science alone at WLU, leaving my Finance dream
But I can also do HBA alone (no DD), leaving my computer science potential passion

Let's say I really like both. Really don't know which to go into, Computer science although has just grown into me recently, and the great space I have in my heart to let it in tells me something. What do you guys recommend
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of g93 g93
I think you meant CS at UW, not WLU.

I would probably suggest a DD, either Western Ivey + CompSci program or the WLU/UW Business + CompSci program. They will be difficult, you won't be a able to waltz your way through. But if you put the effort in, you will have two options, and a better understanding of what do go into. Maybe you will choose to go into finance in a quant position. Who knows? If you find you like one much better than the other early on, you could always drop one of the other (maybe easier to do at UW/WLU?).

That is my recommendation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Thanks for the reply, I meant UW. If I chose to do Comp sci alone, I'd do it at Waterloo.

I am not too fond of doing Business/Comp Sci, I'd rather do Ivey and comp sci or comp sci and math or something.

Do you know about Ivey alot? I'm wondering if you can still switch out of the DD after 2nd year, before starting HBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LXY LXY

@waazup wrote
Now, I was thinking a DD in Western with Ivey + Comp sci, but now that I look back at it - it looks like it can be REALLY tough. Usually, I like being one of the top students. Doing these 2 concurrently in my 4th/5th year - will it affect me? Remember, computer science is heavily based on MATH and algorithms, etc. HBA is just a tough program since it's jam-packed with all terminology + math.

Everyone wants to be one of the top students. If you go to a kindergarten class now, you will be the top student. Doesn't mean you should do it. Suck it up and work for it. No deposit no return. Easy as that. The chances that you will be top of your class immediately are rare.

Yes it will affect you. You suck it up and move on. Ivey + Compsci is a good combination(btw, ivey + computer engineering is probably better to recruiters...).

The math in HBA is probably elementary compared to the math in CS.

BTW, WLU= wilfrid laurier university, UW= University of waterloo.

I don't understand "I'm not too fond of doing Business/compsci, I'd rather do Ivey and compsci"...
...Ivey is a business school...
You apply to a double degree with Ivey either in 2nd or 3rd year(not too sure).

Also consider DD at waterloo/laurier, or CFM at Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I think you're a little confused here.

If you choose to go to Western (UWO), you will be apply for computer science as well as AEO. You will be doing computer science ONLY in year 1 and 2 (+electives of course). You have the choice as long as you have your 80 average to join Ivey HBA If you had your AEO. With all this being said, you don't actually declare an intention to do a dual major till later (I believe late second year) so if you don't like the comp sci or change your mind on business you have flexibility later on.

If you choose to go to Waterloo/Laurier for their computerscience/business double degree, you apply to Computer Science/BBA or Laurier/Waterloo BBA/Computer Science. You can drop the compsci or the bba at any time you want.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
[quote=waazup]Thanks for the reply, but I did mean WLU. If I chose to do Comp sci alone, I'd do it at Waterloo.[/QUOTE]You said "I can also do computer science alone at WLU, leaving my Finance dream". That's why I said I think you mean UW- which you do, don't you?

I am not too fond of doing Business/Comp Sci, I'd rather do Ivey and comp sci or comp sci and math or something.

here isn't a huge difference between Ivey/CompSci and UW/WLU Bus/CompSci. Ivey is more prestigious for business, but UW trumps Western for CompSci, so you have one big plus in both.

Do you know about Ivey alot? I'm wondering if you can still switch out of the DD after 2nd year, before starting HBA.

I don't know a ton about Ivey. But if you were doing compsci at Western (maintaining AEO), you wouldn't have to do a DD. You could plan to do it, then not, or vice versa (until late 2nd year, early 3rd year anyways). But if you find out you don't want to do compsci, you are pretty much stuck in compsci until 3rd year and Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LXY wrote

@waazup wrote
Now, I was thinking a DD in Western with Ivey + Comp sci, but now that I look back at it - it looks like it can be REALLY tough. Usually, I like being one of the top students. Doing these 2 concurrently in my 4th/5th year - will it affect me? Remember, computer science is heavily based on MATH and algorithms, etc. HBA is just a tough program since it's jam-packed with all terminology + math.

Everyone wants to be one of the top students. If you go to a kindergarten class now, you will be the top student. Doesn't mean you should do it. Suck it up and work for it. No deposit no return. Easy as that. The chances that you will be top of your class immediately are rare.

Yes it will affect you. You suck it up and move on. Ivey + Compsci is a good combination(btw, ivey + computer engineering is probably better to recruiters...).

The math in HBA is probably elementary compared to the math in CS.

BTW, WLU= wilfrid laurier university, UW= University of waterloo.

I don't understand "I'm not too fond of doing Business/compsci, I'd rather do Ivey and compsci"...
...Ivey is a business school...
You apply to a double degree with Ivey either in 2nd or 3rd year(not too sure).

Also consider DD at waterloo/laurier, or CFM at Waterloo.

CFM, Cs/BBA double degree at waterloo are good options.

If you go Western, you won't have any business exposure in year 1 or 2 with the exception of Business 2257
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
Sorry everyone, I am clearly mistaken - I thought WLU was Waterloo for some reason.

What I am talking about is only UW and UWO, let me edit and fix it.

And sorry for the misunderstanding, I pretty much meant I didn't wanna do BBA at something like Waterloo, I'd do business in Ivey.

And, to immaculated, you said I am stuck in comp sci till 3rd year? Can't I switch to something like that fin. modelling or BMOS within years 1/2??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well you apply to science and pick whichever major and module you want.

I still don't think you understand when we say Waterloo, we mean The Waterloo AND Laurier Double degree.

I know you're in grade 11, but just read a little on what programs are available to you. You've posted a lot of threads and questions really about the same thing now.

www.einfo.com
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@immaculatedx wrote

I still don't think you understand when we say Waterloo, we mean The Waterloo AND Laurier Double degree.

I know you're in grade 11, but just read a little on what programs are available to you. You've posted a lot of threads and questions really about the same thing now.

www.einfo.com

Okay, I understand. The waterloo DD is actually growing on me, I could never imagine. I've imagined and wished going to a top tier business school, not something like waterloo. But now that I am seeing an option in waterloo computer science (which I still cant believe I am actually considering), combining it with double degree has no harm!! There's nothing to lose, I can actually (sort of) get the best of both worlds. Although the business aspect wont be as strong, the comp sci may actually be.

However, I don't think it's worth the risk of giving up something like Ivey. But it is still a consideration - that a major one. Right now, I gotta still focus on GETTING into these schools. The fact that I am now confirmed of the option to select DD after 2nd year sheds some light - I got a whole 3+ years to decide! (Although the school I'd be going to would affect what I'm doing).

I don't know though. Still undecided. What do you guys recommend? Do you see the tech rise as a smart move to go into it? I like both of them, which is wierd that I am saying that because I have yet to experience proper programming, but I have a feeling I'll like it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@waazup wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

www.einfo.com

Okay, I understand. The waterloo DD is actually growing on me, I could never imagine. I've imagined and wished going to a top tier business school, not something like waterloo. But now that I am seeing an option in waterloo computer science (which I still cant believe I am actually considering), combining it with double degree has no harm!! There's nothing to lose, I can actually (sort of) get the best of both worlds. Although the business aspect wont be as strong, the comp sci may actually be.

However, I don't think it's worth the risk of giving up something like Ivey. But it is still a consideration - that a major one. Right now, I gotta still focus on GETTING into these schools. The fact that I am now confirmed of the option to select DD after 2nd year sheds some light - I got a whole 3+ years to decide! (Although the school I'd be going to would affect what I'm doing).

I don't know though. Still undecided. What do you guys recommend? Do you see the tech rise as a smart move to go into it? I like both of them, which is wierd that I am saying that because I have yet to experience proper programming, but I have a feeling I'll like it.

Laurier is still an excellent business school, and you do get co-op. Although for finance especially, Ivey is better. But it's not as if Laurier is a bad school. Same goes for the comp sci part- Western is still a good school, but Waterloo is better. Either way, you have one part being really good, and one part being even better.

The DD program at Laurier is definitely more popular, there's quite a lot of people applying. I would think that it may be better in a way in that you would take both business and compsci courses in first and second year, so you may get a better understanding of which one you prefer or what direction to head in than at Western, because you will not really do business until 3rd year. Waterloo/Laurier you have co-op as well, although Ivey is probably better for finance (although Waterloo/Laurier is no slouch). It's a tough choice.

I think it is a good idea, if you think you like both. It gives you two options and more time to decide, plus you will graduate with two degrees. Maybe you will go into comp sci and find out that you don't like it, so you could pursue your finance dreams in that case. I just think that if you go to a business-only program, you might end up wondering how things would have worked out if you did compsci, and if you went into compsci without much experience you may end up hating it and want to go into business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@g93 wrote

I think it is a good idea, if you think you like both. It gives you two options and more time to decide, plus you will graduate with two degrees. Maybe you will go into comp sci and find out that you don't like it, so you could pursue your finance dreams in that case. I just think that if you go to a business-only program, you might end up wondering how things would have worked out if you did compsci, and if you went into compsci without much experience you may end up hating it and want to go into business.

Exactly what I wonder too. Are you guys sure that if I choose comp sci at western, I HAVE to do it until 3rd year? Isn't it possible to switch to Financial modeling or BMOS, since those are easier programs to get into and I meet all requirements?
Was this helpful? Yes 0