yconic - Finding your first legit job...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Finding your first legit job...

A photo of xxMoonCakezxx xxMoonCakezxx
How on earth is this done?

How do you know how companies hire?

Just use workopolis/other search engines?

How do you know how the company works?

Noob questions galore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
36 replies

A photo of ederoo ederoo
Your first job is likely going to be minimum wage and at a fast food joint.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ederoo wrote

By legit - I mean in your field and not something you do part-time to pay for your expenses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
There will be job postings at your school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ederoo wrote

Even for B.Sc students?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@ederoo wrote

Even for B.Sc students?

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@ederoo wrote

By legit - I mean in your field and not something you do part-time to pay for your expenses.

How about you not be so stuck up in thinking you're too good to work customer service?

The reality is that you need job experience before becoming a scientist or working for the government. That work experience will come from working an entry-level position for many years. Don't think anything less than being a doctor isn't legitimate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@ederoo wrote

How about you not be so stuck up in thinking you're too good to work customer service?

The reality is that you need job experience before becoming a scientist or working for the government. That work experience will come from working an entry-level position for many years. Don't think anything less than being a doctor isn't legitimate.

Chill homeboy.

I already have a part-time job in a fast food joint.

Thanks for the reply though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@xxMoonCakezxx wrote

@ederoo wrote

Chill homeboy.

I already have a part-time job in a fast food joint.

Thanks for the reply though.

You're welcome.

Then restate your question. You asked how to get your first legit job. Your fast food job is a legit job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ederoo ederoo
PLEASE TELL ME IT'S AT HARVEYS
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@ederoo wrote

I'm thinkin' Arby's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@Zion wrote

@ederoo wrote

I'm thinkin' Arby's.

+1

My first legit job was at Staples. Pretty awesome. I'm now going to be analyzing bodily fluid samples in a lab this summer as well as training horses and dealing with pony brats. Awesome.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@dancee wrote

My first legit job was at Staples.

ME TOO! But I did have connections...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of dancee dancee

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

Copy and Print Centre WHAT.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@dancee wrote

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

I sold erasers, wassup.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

I sold erasers, wassup.

Equally as important ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan

@dancee wrote

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

Copy and Print Centre was my favourite. Then came aisle work. I hated doing cashier work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@leviaidan wrote

@dancee wrote

@Zion wrote

@dancee wrote

Copy and Print Centre was my favourite. Then came aisle work. I hated doing cashier work.

You worked there as well?

I liked Copy and Print because I felt like I was actually doing something and not just standing around for a while. Plus, there was a comfy chair in there (y). The odd time you'd get the weirdos in who want you print what looked like borderline ... gah I can't even mention it, but yeah. Cashier work was the worst, especially on boxing day.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I loathed working cash. I liked aisles cause I could just walk around and pretend like I was already helping a customer. :bball:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@Zion wrote
I loathed working cash. I liked aisles cause I could just walk around and pretend like I was already helping a customer. :bball:

+1

Stocking the high shelves was the best. :cheers: My co-workers and I were planning to build an apartment in the paper aisle to hide from customers.

My favourite was when I was fully in my uniform, stocking highlighters and a customer walks right past me and up to another customer (who happened to be wearing a red shirt) and started complaining about how he needs to be doing his job and how I was the only one working and blah blah blah. I was actually dyingggg.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of tcundy tcundy
Finding your first job can be quite difficult, especially if you live in a small town. The best thing to do is make up a resume that "sells yourself." Even if you have little to no job experience, make it sound like you've accomplished something huge. Then you need to just keep handing them out, everywhere. The more feelers you have out there, the more likely you are to get hired. Your best bet is to hand them back out every three months so that the company knows that you are really interested, that way when they lose an employee, they are likely to call you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@dancee wrote

@Zion wrote

+1

Stocking the high shelves was the best. :cheers: My co-workers and I were planning to build an apartment in the paper aisle to hide from customers.

My favourite was when I was fully in my uniform, stocking highlighters and a customer walks right past me and up to another customer (who happened to be wearing a red shirt) and started complaining about how he needs to be doing his job and how I was the only one working and blah blah blah. I was actually dyingggg.

Hahaha, that's epic. I remember I went in on a day-off when people were doing back-to-school shopping and everybody looked clueless and I almost felt compelled to help...but then I realized that would be philanthropy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0