yconic - Fine Art and Design should have its own section.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Fine Art and Design should have its own section.

A photo of BLauren BLauren
At Fine Art and Design schools we are not considered 'Arts and Science', so why on StudentAwards.com, are we in there?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
You're lucky you get included at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jacobtreeslayer Jacobtreeslayer
Fine art is obviously in the "Arts" category, so why shouldn't you be included?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ahcros Ahcros
I agree..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elletia elletia
it does say "& Arts" at the end of the title, so we're technically being included!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz

@BLauren wrote
At Fine Art and Design schools we are not considered 'Arts and Science', so why on StudentAwards.com, are we in there?

It is understandable that you feel that way, but think about it for a second.

The people running these forums could easily make separate forums for each major faculty (Arts, Business, Sciences, Humanities, etc.) but then what you would have would be 20 different forums, which takes a lot more work to manage. Additionally, since the social sciences, humanities and arts are all sort of related (obviously not in all cases) they put them under one heading so that people with similar interests can go to one, single forum to discuss anything remotely related to the arts, humanities, social sciences, etc because these terms themselves can be very broad and far-reaching.

The reason why faculties like Business have their own entire forums is because business by itself is a very broad and very popular subject, so of course it will generate a lot of discussion on its own. If you were to have individual forums just for arts and just for social sciences, etc they would not generate nearly as much discussion as the more popular subjects like business or engineering would on their own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MegWidmeyer MegWidmeyer
I somewhat agree with the above post but while I was applying on OUAC I was really wishing that Fine Arts had it's own section.

When I selected a school and then proceeded to select the theatre arts program I wanted at McMaster I honestly couldn't find it for the life of me. It was partially because the program selection isn't exactly computer user friendly, and partially because the fine arts was hidden within other sections.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LacyW LacyW
I'm loving this idea, having our own page... Good on ya! Although, it has come to my attention that very few people are in here... Hmmmm, SPREAD THE WORD! ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of swoodrow swoodrow
I agree. For example, I don't understand how programs like music and theatre can go under the same category as social work and psychology. The topic "Social Sciences, Humanities & Arts" is far too broad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MegWidmeyer wrote
I somewhat agree with the above post but while I was applying on OUAC I was really wishing that Fine Arts had it's own section.

When I selected a school and then proceeded to select the theatre arts program I wanted at McMaster I honestly couldn't find it for the life of me. It was partially because the program selection isn't exactly computer user friendly, and partially because the fine arts was hidden within other sections.

That is why you should have found the program code earlier as everyone recommends, so then all you would've had to do was put in the code and there it would be.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emattila1987 emattila1987
I would say it's just fine as it is. The term Arts lets you know enough to go there. You did, and I did, didn't we?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
fine arts should have its own section and not be affiliated with science
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keyons Keyons
I hate how much people bash the arts. My friend, who's going into business, said that "when people go into the arts it's just because they have no idea what they're doing." It made me so mad. The arts is such a broad area of study, I completely disagree! There's sooo many things to do!
I also agree with stephaniegould, Fine Arts should be on it's own.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KPerreault KPerreault
I agree that the arts is such a broad subject. It is not for people who dont know what they want to do, its for people who are passionate about art. Thats why there are entire Universities dedicated to art.OCAD, NSCAD, ACAD just to name a few.
So ya arts important, it deserves its own section
Was this helpful? Yes 0