yconic - Fine Art
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Fine Art

A photo of aceer aceer
Hey,

What school has the best fine arts program?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of lgfield lgfield
Do you mean a general BA in Fine Arts, or do you have a specific area of interest?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aceer aceer
More of a general BA, I tend to dabble a lot. I have heard that OCAD requires that students declare a major in first year. That kinda sucks for someone who wants a more interdisciplinary education.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I attend OCAD in the faculty of design, and we declare our majors in first year. However, in the faculty of art (for those pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts), you don't declare until second year. In first year you choose from many electives - drawing, painting, sculpture, time based media, photography, etc. - so you can try a little of everything and decide what you want to focus on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aceer aceer
Ohhh lovely, I didn't know that. Thank you.

Do you like OCAD?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're welcome.
I love OCAD, but it is a tonne of work! I feel like there's a real focus on working as an artist or designer in the "real world" as there are always lots of opportunities presented to students to exhibit their work or participate in events and discussions in the local arts scene (that is, if you can find the time between the numerous projects you always have to work on).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bearie Bearie
I'm pretty curious to know as well! I've been thinking about OCAD and maybe Emily Carr...I was wondering as well. What do you guys think about fine arts programs in schools that aren't specifically geared towards art? For example, at UBC, or UofT or something like that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I believe that at schools that aren't "art-specific" your course breakdown is close to 50% studio courses and 50% liberal studies (science, history, humanities, maths, etc.) At OCAD it's closer to 70% studio and 30% liberal studies. Of the ten courses I take in first year, 3 are liberal studies courses, and the rest are all hand-on studio classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emattila1987 emattila1987
OCAD is always good. I also hear good things about Seneca.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brontehutchinson brontehutchinson
McKenzie College of art & design, in Halifax Nova Scotia.
http://www.mckenzie.edu/site/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of efdalida efdalida
Im taking my BA at the university of calgary. but there are a lot of schools out there that are great. one of them is the art institute, they are located in a lot of places in north america. i also wanted to go to emily carr in vancouver.
i hope that helps (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vrbx vrbx
If you can get into OCAD, I would definitely advise going there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quaider24 Quaider24
I am currently attending Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario. I'm taking a two-three year course in Visual and Creative Arts and I'm loving it! If you're looking to maintain a bachelors degree they have and illustration and an animation program that is something worth bragging about. Visit their website www.sheridancollege.ca
Hope I helped and good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0