yconic - Finished First Year At Laurier - Here's My Perspective
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Finished First Year At Laurier - Here's My Perspective

A photo of Source22 Source22
First Things First

Going to Laurier was the best decision I ever made! I can't believe how fast it went by and if I could I would relive it all over. The past eight months have been the best of my life and I'm already looking forward to next year!

Academics

I found first year to be pretty easy. The business classes are not that difficult and unless you get stuck in a really bad group, you should get at least an 80% in the lab component. Economics and math are also compulsory and both are a walk in the park if you've taken calculus and economics in high school. I honestly found some of my electives to be harder then my main courses and I would suggest you do your research. I'll recommend taking CP102 and SL100 for sure but make sure you look into what profs teaching it as the curriculum may change. Also be sure to pick your courses ASAP because the easy ones fill up quick.

My best advice academically is to make sure everything gets done on time and you study a "fair" amount for midterms and exams. Also be sure to go to lectures because a lot of profs may give a fair amount of marks just for participating (showing up to lecture). I ensured I did well during the year so I wasn't too stressed for exams. For every one of my classes I went into the final exam with a 80%+ and that took a lot of stress off me for studying.

All in all, do all the little things as best you can (online quizzes, participation in class, etc.) and study a "fair" amount for the exam and you should be able to achieve at least an "A-" GPA

Social Scene

Choosing a university with a live social scene was very important to me. I like to "work-hard, play-hard" and Laurier definitely fits the bill and has some great night-life. You can go out any night of the week and have a great time. I spent a lot of nights at bars and clubs but wish I knew of more house parties and keggers. So my best advice would be to get with a good core group on your floor (if your in a dorm) and network. Which brings me to my next point.

I lived in a dorm first year and would recommend it strongly over an apartment. It's been the best experience of my life and I got to meet a lot of people. Everyone is pretty open to everyone whether you are a jock or nerd in high school. It's a new start on life and you should socialize with your floor from the first day (but don't come off too creepy). If your like me and like to get good grades and still have fun, get tight with a really close group of people and go from there.

If your more into campus clubs than night life, I apologize because I wasn't that involved. However I know Laurier has a lot of clubs and great intramural sports events. The orientation week program is the best in Canada and is another memory I will not forget. Get involved in whatever your interests are (or try something new) and you won't regret it.

Last Thoughts

Once my first year at Laurier has been the best time of my life. I'm getting a good education with the BBA (although first year is kind of a joke) and I'm having the time of my life. My advice is ensure you complete all your work and study for your exams but also have a go out on weekends with your buddies and have a good time. Leave your shell and get out there!

If you have any questions let me know.

First year has been the bets time of my life and I'm already looking forward to second year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of foreverting foreverting
Congrats on finishing your first year.

I also have a brother who also finished today. I just have a question. He is insisting that I live with him off-campus. I know that Res is a once in a lifetime experience, but more expensive. If I do go for off campus housing first year, what will I miss out , exactly?

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shandal shandal
Wow, seems like you have had a successful year. Both academically and socially! :D

I was wondering, if you don't mind, on giving me a perspective of the the Laurier BBA/Financial Math students. How much more difficult is it for them to achieve an 80%+, and if financial math is something to be worried about..especially if a student was okay in math during high school. Any additional information you think that would provide me with a wider scope into the program...please mention! Thanks a lot, and congratulations on first year!

Oh and one more thing, is it crucial to have accounting knowledge from grade 12 accounting to be successful in Laurier's first year accounting program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@shandal wrote
Oh and one more thing, is it crucial to have accounting knowledge from grade 12 accounting to be successful in Laurier's first year accounting program?

Short answer: No.

First year business at Laurier has next to no accounting in it. We did a bit of ratio analysis but the prof covered everything you need to know in lectures. That being said, having taken grade 12 accounting makes that part of the course a little easier, but not drastically so.

I just finished first year in the Math/Business DD (with UW) so I can't comment on accounting in other years. Taking grade 12 accounting can only help you, but I don't think it will be too bad if you didn't take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman
What are you doing for the summer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeyboy3893 hockeyboy3893
Are you SR freeman
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bcd92 bcd92
thanks source. your post was really useful.
can you please share some details on the coop offered?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@caveman wrote

Who was this directed at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul

@North wrote

@caveman wrote

Ben North, is that you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@greatwallpaul wrote

@North wrote

@caveman wrote

Ben North, is that you?

No, sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@North wrote

@caveman wrote

OP I suppose, but you can answer it if you like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cloevia cloevia
Thank you so much for this post!!!!!
I just accepted my laurier offer of admission last week and am so excited to go!
Thanks for your tip on dorm style I was torn but I now I think I will go Dorm style single room for sure!
Thanks!:colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jdizzy jdizzy
Congratulations on the completion of your first-year. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me:

1) What res building were you in?
2) What is your ethnicity? (just to see if there's any relation with the social success)
3) Which elective course would you recommend? GS101, SY101, GG101, or PS101? Which one is EASIEST?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thinkup thinkup
Congrats with finishing first yr!
I want to ask is it hard to stay in the program for second yr? I know laurier accepts 700+ students, how many make it into 2nd yr? and what GPA or avg do u need to maintain in order to continue to second year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0