yconic - First Day of University
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First Day of University

A photo of RhiannaJK RhiannaJK
I'm unbelievably nervous.

I've lived in a small rural community and gone to tiny schools my whole life (my high school has less than 400 students in it, and not much cultural diversity). I'm going to U of T St. George next year, so I'm expecting a huge amount of culture shock in terms of all the people (I'm sort of shy, so of course knowing absolutely no one will be scary, too).

Other than that, I was wondering about what to expect on the first day. Is anyone willing to share their experiences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
Hey don't worry about it. I went to a school on the other side of the country, and I had no friends either when going into university. I would suggest going to the orientation-week events and getting to know the people in your dorm room. If you express an interest in people, they'll definitely return the favour. A lot of other people will be nervous too (it's everyone's first time), so I think you'll find common ground with people regardless of where you're from or what you've done to this point. Good luck! Speaking from personal experience, it's really not as bad as you think. It's just another version of high school, only on a grander scale; or I dunno, maybe I just feel that way.

One more thing, don't try to change yourself to fit in. Do what you're comfortable with, and don't worry if it doesn't click right away. I've always liked friends more than "friends" if that makes any sense. Do whatever you think will work for you because it's ultimately your life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@RhiannaJK wrote

I've lived in a small rural community and gone to tiny schools my whole life (my high school has less than 400 students in it, and not much cultural diversity). I'm going to U of T St. George next year, so I'm expecting a huge amount of culture shock in terms of all the people (I'm sort of shy, so of course knowing absolutely no one will be scary, too).

Other than that, I was wondering about what to expect on the first day. Is anyone willing to share their experiences?

Yeah, to repeat what SUMmer123456 said, frosh/o-week and rez activities prior to first day are great opportunities. Later I would suggest joining clubs, going to events or playing intramurals.

As for first day, it's totally not weird to sit down beside someone and either shake their hand (probably more if you're a guy) or just introduce yourself. Most people will not know very many people either, so say hi and start up a conversation: "oh where are you from?" etc. Everyone else will be somewhat scared/nervous/shy too. The first lectures are often just you sitting there listening to the prof going over the syllabus/course outline and telling you what the course will be like, and at Waterloo anyways most labs/tutorials are cancelled first week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mnborka mnborka

@RhiannaJK wrote

Don't worry im from a small town too, what college are you in? im in new college and studying health studies in humanities come the fall.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7
I'm on the same boat as you. I don't know any of my friends who are going to U of T, let alone Victoria College as well.

However, from what I have heard, it is heavily recommended to attend Frosh Week/O-Week (I think U of T calls it O-Week for Orientation). That's because everyone from our college will get to know each other, and people tend to make their friends from that first week.

I'm confident that there will be other people who will be at Vic College in U of T who will be experiencing the same thing as us. It's nice to know that we're not alone! :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 6x7 6x7

@caveman wrote
As for first day, it's totally not weird to sit down beside someone and either shake their hand (probably more if you're a guy) or just introduce yourself. Most people will not know very many people either, so say hi and start up a conversation: "oh where are you from?" etc. Everyone else will be somewhat scared/nervous/shy too. The first lectures are often just you sitting there listening to the prof going over the syllabus/course outline and telling you what the course will be like, and at Waterloo anyways most labs/tutorials are cancelled first week.

What makes me scared is that a lot of people are attending university as a group of friends, and some people tend to have the "I don't need anymore friends," or "I'm going to be extremely selective with who I want to talk to," mentality, which freaks me out about being rejected. Have you ever experienced that in your first year? Even if you approach a group, are people that welcoming?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456

@6x7 wrote

@caveman wrote

What makes me scared is that a lot of people are attending university as a group of friends, and some people tend to have the "I don't need anymore friends," or "I'm going to be extremely selective with who I want to talk to," mentality, which freaks me out about being rejected. Have you ever experienced that in your first year? Even if you approach a group, are people that welcoming?

You will find all sorts of people. Yeah, some people will be more welcoming than others, but you have to be able to deal with rejection if you want to make friends. It's really a hit or miss sort of thing, tbh. But unless you take that chance, nothing will happen for you. Thing is: the kind of people you're talking about are usually not the best friend material anyways, so don't fret over it too much. Be open-minded, and have fun! With that being said, most people will be welcoming because a lot of people don't know many people coming into university; I know some people who came here with a lot of friends too, but they ended up growing apart from them, and found new friends in their own programs (nothing is fixed). So yeah, don't worry about it. I just approached people, if it worked, great! If not, I moved on. There's LOTS of people; I doubt you'll run out anytime soon with potential options XD. It's really not as bad as it seems. Good luck :).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan
You shouldn't be afraid of not making any new friends, everyone is coming from somewhere different and feels exactly the same way you do.

I think the bigger transition is coming from a small town to a roaring city. You're coming from a small and close knit community to a city with millions of people. It'll surely be a new experience, but isn't that why you're going to university in the first place? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I went to university with a group of friends and we definitely were open to meeting new people and ended up with a whole new group by the end of my degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RhiannaJK RhiannaJK

@mnborka wrote

@RhiannaJK wrote

Don't worry im from a small town too, what college are you in? im in new college and studying health studies in humanities come the fall.

I'm in Victoria College. I'll be studying English. :)

Thank you to everyone who replied for all your wonderful advice! This definitely makes me less nervous.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
well im kinda the opposite

i moved around alot when i was small....i think from grade 1 up to university i've been to 6 or 7 schools in total. lol lost count. never stayed at one school for more than 2-3 years. before we bought a house my parents moved around a lot. pretty diverse too as half of the schools were downtown toronto the other half in the GTA...

just finished my first year at uni...and i can tell u one thing its really easy to make friends, and i rememeber on the very first day at ive never seen so many people eat by themselves in the cafeteria lol.....so dont worry everyones in the same boat
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SmartyPup SmartyPup
Just remember: in first-year, you and every other first year student are going through the same thing. Everybody feels the same way about being in a new place with new people. All you have to do is just be yourself and meet some people that you like, and everything will turn out okay after that :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0