yconic - first year AFM courses at Waterloo?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

first year AFM courses at Waterloo?

A photo of peterv peterv
How hard are AFM courses at Waterloo? Is it possible to achieve high marks in them?

Specifically, these AFM courses:
- AFM 101 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- AFM 131 Introduction to Business in North America
- AFM 137 Introduction to Global Capital Markets
- AFM 102 Introduction to Managerial Accounting

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of dbdudgh dbdudgh
I've heard that it's not extremely difficult to get high marks in AFM as long as you do your work.
I've also heard that co-op employers don't look at your marks that much as long as you're not failing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peterv peterv
in terms of high marks, what range would they be in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm not sure about AFM or CFM people, but for math/CAs, their average was something like 87% last year..(an upper year said)
I know a friend in AFM-pa who just finished her first year and she had like mid to high 90's(she's very smart and hardworking) so as long as you put in the effort, I think you should be able to get at least high 80's or 90's..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dbdudgh wrote
I'm not sure about AFM or CFM people, but for math/CAs, their average was something like 87% last year..(an upper year said)
I know a friend in AFM-pa who just finished her first year and she had like mid to high 90's(she's very smart and hardworking) so as long as you put in the effort, I think you should be able to get at least high 80's or 90's..

The average for AFM is ~75-78
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LeafsFan16 LeafsFan16

@g93 wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

The average for AFM is ~75-78

for first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying

@dbdudgh wrote

Sorry but I kinda sorta doubt that, there are a couple of people with 'mid' 90s, but they are the exception rather than the norm. Managerial accounting absolutely rocked everyone this year. Psych is also usually a huge GPA killer (which you guys don't have to take anymore). Can you attach a name to this friend? Kinda curious, PM me ;D

Marks aren't super hard to come by, but its because your classmates are generally a bright bunch. The dropout rate isn't like 40% because its super easy (remember you only need a 75% or 70% to stay in program, can't remember). I also really doubt math/ca average is 87, usually only the bright get 87+ in math/ca
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@whatchusaying wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Sorry but I kinda sorta doubt that, there are a couple of people with 'mid' 90s, but they are the exception rather than the norm. Managerial accounting absolutely rocked everyone this year. Psych is also usually a huge GPA killer (which you guys don't have to take anymore). Can you attach a name to this friend? Kinda curious, PM me ;D

Marks aren't super hard to come by, but its because your classmates are generally a bright bunch. The dropout rate isn't like 40% because its super easy (remember you only need a 75% or 70% to stay in program, can't remember). I also really doubt math/ca average is 87, usually only the bright get 87+ in math/ca

Actually, the Math/CA average this year for first years was 88 and it was 87 last year. This was confirmed by all the current Math/CAers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of whatchusaying whatchusaying

@immaculatedx wrote

@whatchusaying wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Actually, the Math/CA average this year for first years was 88 and it was 87 last year. This was confirmed by all the current Math/CAers.

Where would they get that sort of information?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@whatchusaying wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@whatchusaying wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Where would they get that sort of information?

I wouldn't know but I'm guessing from UW. It's not surprising really, Math/CA'ers are the ultimate keeners.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Arctic Arctic

@dbdudgh wrote
I've heard that it's not extremely difficult to get high marks in AFM as long as you do your work.
I've also heard that co-op employers don't look at your marks that much as long as you're not failing.

Small-medium firms in my experience do care. One interview went 'Tell me your accounting marks', another interviewer told me that he looked at accounting marks, then looked at your average, then interviewed you to see if you could have a decent conversation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EmilyyW EmilyyW

@dbdudgh wrote

can you please define how hardworking she was haha? Like how many hours did she spend on schoolwork each day?

and like was she naturally smart?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@EmilyyW wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

can you please define how hardworking she was haha? Like how many hours did she spend on schoolwork each day?

I'm not really close with her but apparently she procrastinated a lot and slept like 4 hours/day. but I don't think she was a type that studies and works all day because she was involved in ECs and had an exec. position in the AFSA(did i spell that right?) although I don't remember what the position was.

I can't comment on her natural smartness because I really don't know her that well.. sorry :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JadedWrex JadedWrex

@immaculatedx wrote

@whatchusaying wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Are you crazy? That's a lie dude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dbdudgh wrote

@EmilyyW wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

I'm not really close with her but apparently she procrastinated a lot and slept like 4 hours/day. but I don't think she was a type that studies and works all day because she was involved in ECs and had an exec. position in the AFSA(did i spell that right?) although I don't remember what the position was.

I can't comment on her natural smartness because I really don't know her that well.. sorry :P

FYI, there were no first years who had an exec position on AFSA this past Winter term. If they said that to you, they are clearing lying and boasting themselves. To be honest, getting 90s is possible in university and you guys shouldn't worry about it right now.

Just go into university with a good positive attitude versus an uber competitive dog-eat-dog attitude and you'll do just fine. It takes more than just pure smartness to be successful in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Arctic wrote

@dbdudgh wrote

Small-medium firms in my experience do care. One interview went 'Tell me your accounting marks', another interviewer told me that he looked at accounting marks, then looked at your average, then interviewed you to see if you could have a decent conversation.

^ Yup I completely agree with you! Sure, you don't need high 90s to get a good co-op placement but you can't expect to get a job at an accounting firm with just 70s.

The Big 4 firms tend to look at things beyond marks but generally, you need marks in the mid to high 80s to have a shot. There are definitely exceptions and I'm not going to argue about it but honestly, it's a lot more than just marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0