yconic - First year dropout rate?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First year dropout rate?

A photo of KingSpades KingSpades
I've heard it is between 30-40% in certain schools like uoft, mcgill, uwo or queens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
30-40%? That's crazy. Maybe it's 30-40% of people who switch majors, and even then I think 30-40% is a little high lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
I'm pretty sure that the average graduation rate across Ontario universities is something like 80%... definitely not 30-40% dropping after 1st year. I know that at Queen's nearly 90% of 1st years will graduate (not necessarily within 4 years though).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CRAZYBUBBA CRAZYBUBBA
When I last checked Queen's-McGill had the highest 5 year graduation rates, at aprox 96%. You can find the current stats in Maclean's Guide to Canadian Universities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Toronto12 Toronto12
30-40% is way too high. Realistically it should be 10-15% because during my first
year classes after the midterm or semester at UofT at least 10% people did drop (overall and not just in courses). However as you progress through upper year courses, you will find that regular classes may get smaller and smaller...This isn't really due to drop outs by rather different specialization and courses taken by your peers. Overall, I think 10-15% is a reasonable estimate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoblackout xoblackout
my teacher keeps saying that only 33% of university students graduate =/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Your teacher is crazy. There is no way that is true.
Was this helpful? Yes 0