yconic - First year English at UWO
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First year English at UWO

A photo of darkchoco darkchoco
Hey
I heard that many first year students (about 50% or more) drop out after first year.... is that true??
Is it really that hard to keep GPA up?? - I know this question being asked frequently, but I mean for first year students, how come so many people drop out (because it is hard to get high GPA?)??

Right now im kind of scared especially with English
At my school all the english teachers are terribly tough markers and they are not being flexible... especially my teacher, she is soooo bias, some people are getting such a low mark because she is picky on them but others get high 80s because she marks it easily. Apparently, she doesn't like me (I can feel it that she doesn't like me... which I don't know why she hates me exactly) so im getting such a low mark...
i mean low low low B.... T.T

So I want to know if university English is tough or not.
I decided to go UWO, so anyone from UWO, could you give me some advices about first year English at UWO??
Would it be impossible/possible to get about 3.0~3.5 ish??

Please help me!!
Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Whoever has been feeding you information is an idiot.

1) The dropout rate is nowhere near 50%. 5% is more likely; 10% tops.

2) English is not a required course. If it isn't something you like and/or isn't something you think you'll do well in, then don't take it. Simple as that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh really??thank god!!
Thanks so much for the information mynameismattgotmlgo!!
so I don't need first year of English??!!
because some people say first year english is required course and some people say it's not. so I was confused lol

Then what courses would you recommend for Biomed??
other than bio, chem, physics i mean
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh really??thank god!!
Thanks so much for the information mynameismattgotmlgo!!
so I don't need first year of English??!!
because some people say first year english is required course and some people say it's not. so I was confused lol

Then what courses would you recommend for Biomed??
other than bio, chem, physics i mean
Was this helpful? Yes 0

People usually take bio, chem, physics, and calc (though you can take another type of math, like linear algebra or stats), and then you have to take a non-science elective. That non-science elective COULD be English, if you're into that. Most people take psych because it is pretty sciency as far as non-science courses go. I recommend taking whatever interests you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Take what interests you. English is NOT required for biomed. The reason some people recommend that you take it is because some med school want you to have taken a first year English course. That being said, most don't have an English requirement. You don't need to take it, it's just a requirement for certain schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes, first-year English is actually required for quite a few professional programs (not just med). I wouldn't be too concerned about taking it for that reason at this point, unless you seriously plan on applying to a professional program you can get into after first year. You should have no problem fitting it into your schedule at any point in your undergraduate career. I didn't take first-year English till fourth year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0