yconic - First year French?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First year French?

A photo of emma1330 emma1330
I'm going to UBC, and I've taken French 12, so I'm not allowed to receive credits for Beginner's French or Intermediate French. I'm wondering, will I struggle if I take Contemporary French Language and Literature? I really enjoy French but I don't want to take that course if I'm not going to do well. I took French 12 in grade 11 so I'm afraid I've forgotten a lot of it and won't be at the same level as others in the class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey there,

As long as you watch french TV and try to talk as much as possible...you'll be able to do well at uni. Also, the only way one improves and remembers a language is by engaging in it...so speak and listen to frech as much as possible...don't memorize...because you will forget what you've learnt for sure.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz
Try looking around on the university website for a French placement test. Most universities have them, and it should give you a sort of general idea of where you are and what courses you should take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Courtney33 Courtney33
I was in a similar situation. I go to UOttawa and I took core French in Highschool but we didn't have immersion. I started immersion in University and found it really difficult but as long as you stick it out, you'll pick up the language quickly. Don't lose all the hard work you put into learning as much French as you already have!
Was this helpful? Yes 0