yconic - First year percent drop
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First year percent drop

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93
Hi,
I'm wondering how much your first year average can drop.
I've heard 90's students in high school drop to 75%, but those stats were from students going to bigger unis. I haven't heard from Guelph students yet, which is what I'm mostly interested in.

I know it's based on how hard you work, your dedication, your ability, etc., but on average, what is it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
53 replies

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23
If you drop 15% you are pretty crazy.

Every school has its own conditional line.

Im sure with a 3-4% drop should be ok.

Western gave me an 82 conditional for Hsc
UBC has a conditional of 67 for every program.
UT just told me to maintain my marks

Im pretty sure most universities will consider revoking your offer if you drop over 15%.

I would say the average drop is around 2-3%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of egbert egbert

@Smiles93 wrote
Hi,
I'm wondering how much your first year average can drop.
I've heard 90's students in high school drop to 75%, but those stats were from students going to bigger unis. I haven't heard from Guelph students yet, which is what I'm mostly interested in.

I know it's based on how hard you work, your dedication, your ability, etc., but on average, what is it?

i know people whose average dropped over 15%, and i know people whose average went up a few percent from their high school marks. i think if you average it all out the change would be something around a 6-7% drop...it really depends on how well you can handle the testing style to be honest. first year courses rely a lot on multiple choice because there are just so many students that a 10 page midterm of problems would be a marking fiasco. so instead there are 8 pages of mc and then a few pages of problems. most people drop in average because they arent used to how things are marked but once you figure it out you will see your marks improve. Personally my grades dropped about 8% from a mid-90s in high school
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flyingpig flyingpig
Depends on the school and what course you take. I've heard some pretty cruel drops in UBC lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Cuiter23 wrote

Im pretty sure most universities will consider revoking your offer if you drop over 15%.

Try reading before replying...

I dropped around 6% in first year from high school. Most people I knew dropped closer to 10-15% but then there were people who didn't drop and some that had percentage increases.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of flyingpig flyingpig

@JNBirDy wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

I dropped around 6% in first year from high school. Most people I knew dropped closer to 10-15% but then there were people who didn't drop and some that had percentage increases.

Lol, mine would've increased if I didn't take Computer Science.

What college btw?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@flyingpig wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

Lol, mine would've increased if I didn't take Computer Science.

What college btw?

I go to UWO... and mine would have probably stayed the same if I didn't take Arabic as my elective. Absolutely hated it and it ended up being my lowest mark, and since it was a full year course I have to count it twice when calculating my average.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smiles93 Smiles93

@Cuiter23 wrote

lol, I think I've confused you with what I'm asking...?
Are you talking about dropping % in high school marks?
I was asking about how much you can drop during first year uni, after you have accepted their offer and all that.

If you were a 90's student in high school, is it possible to drop as much as 15% during first year uni
xD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
My marks dropped about 1% in first year, and another 2% in second year. I should note that I worked significantly harder than I did in high school to achieve that. And I'd say I also worked harder in second year than first.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@Smiles93 wrote

@Cuiter23 wrote

lol, I think I've confused you with what I'm asking...?
Are you talking about dropping % in high school marks?
I was asking about how much you can drop during first year uni, after you have accepted their offer and all that.

If you were a 90's student in high school, is it possible to drop as much as 15% during first year uni
xD

sry LOL I misread.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
You lucky suckas must have not heard about UTSG and the drop 1st years experience there. Just fyi, anyone who says that Guelph is hard compared to UTSG should off themselves, Guelph is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than UTSG.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@Sheldore wrote
You lucky suckas must have not heard about UTSG and the drop 1st years experience there. Just fyi, anyone who says that Guelph is hard compared to UTSG should off themselves, Guelph is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than UTSG.

like you totally went to guelph, so you totally know like how hard it is like compared to like u of t....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
(QUOTING MYSELF FROM ANOTHER THREAD): The average person's average drops by about 15-20%. The average entering average for most bio programs is about 85%. Class averages in first-year science courses are typically about 65-70%. So, yes, a 15-20% drop is accurate and not exaggerated. However, and again, that drop would be what you'd expect as an average student.

In my experience, the average student in my program was not as intelligent or, more importantly, as motivated to do well as I was. It shouldn't be a big surprise, then, that my average only dropped 2% from grade 12 to first year.

If you're a slacker in high school and somehow pull off a good enough average to get into university, and you don't change your slacker-ness by the time you get into university (a lot of slackers and quite a few non-slackers take advantage of the freedom that comes with not having a teacher who cares [to some extent] about your performance and not having your parents breathing down your neck and, thus, slack more), then your marks probably will drop by even more than 15-20%. If you do well in high school because you really want to do well and therefore commit a lot of time to your studies, and you keep up that same work ethic when you get into university, then your average will probably not drop as much as 15%.

Your success in university has a lot to do with how much effort you are willing to put into your studies. Strongly related to this is how ambitious you are; not quite as strongly related is how able you are to remain on-task and focused, how good your memory is, and how intelligent you are (specifically, how good you are at knowing the difference BETWEEN important material that likely will be tested and thus that you should memorize AND unimportant material that doesn't necessarily need to be memorized, as well as how good you are at making connections). Basically, it's quite complex.

Also, if you merely expect your marks to drop 15-20%, then your marks are more likely to drop 15-20% (a phenomena psychologists call a "self-fulfilling prophecy"). This is probably actually a major problem for most people. They don't do so well on their first set of university midterms (simply because they don't know what to expect, not at all because they are slackers or not smart), but they simply pass off their poor performance (relative to what they were used to in high school) as being acceptable because "they're in university and, therefore, their marks should drop." They, thus, end up accepting a 65-70% average, even if they are capable of being 80-90% average students.

So, in sum, if you're a motivated person who doesn't have much difficulty learning science, then don't expect your marks to drop considerably - they probably won't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
Apparently, it's 15% on average ("Freshman 15").

A drop in average isn't so bad though because of the GPA system. For example, if your average in high school was 95%, you can drop at UTSG to an 85% average but still have a 4.0 GPA (anything above 85% is 4.0 here). This assumes that all your courses will end up with a grade of 85%, of course. Since applying to graduate schools and professional schools depends on your GPA (correct me if I'm wrong on this), this is a blessing. Noting what I've said, you should keep in mind that when applying to professional or graduate schools, your GPA will be recalculated based on their GPA system (so an 85 may no longer be the perfect GPA score in another school, for example).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@littleroom wrote

I thought "Freshman 15" referred to the pounds gained. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

A drop in average isn't so bad though because of the GPA system. For example, if your average in high school was 95%, you can drop at UTSG to an 85% average but still have a 4.0 GPA (anything above 85% is 4.0 here). This assumes that all your courses will end up with a grade of 85%, of course. Since applying to graduate schools and professional schools depends on your GPA (correct me if I'm wrong on this), this is a blessing. Noting what I've said, you should keep in mind that when applying to professional or graduate schools, your GPA will be recalculated based on their GPA system (so an 85 may no longer be the perfect GPA score in another school, for example).

Uh no... "freshman15" is gaining 15 pounds in your freshman year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

From where I'm from, it refers to both the pounds apparently gained and the weight apparently lost in your freshman year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote
From where I'm from, it refers to both the pounds apparently gained and the weight apparently lost in your freshman year.

That doesn't make sense but okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@JNBirDy wrote

@littleroom wrote

Why doesn't it make sense...? That's what it meant in my high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@littleroom wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@littleroom wrote

Ha, dude, just re-read what you wrote. I know exactly what you meant to write, but what you actually wrote doesn't make sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tabletop tabletop
Freshmen 15: Gain 15 lbs and lose 15% of your average. That's what I was told last year anyway...is it true?
I didn't gain 15 pounds and I didn't lose 15% of my average...so I guess not. But it certainly is for some people.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JNBirDy wrote

@littleroom wrote

@JNBirDy wrote

@littleroom wrote

Ha, dude, just re-read what you wrote. I know exactly what you meant to write, but what you actually wrote doesn't make sense.

Oh, now I see...oops. If anyone didn't know, I meant pounds and percent. Thanks for pointing that out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
I graduated high school top student of my class with 95% (GPA=4.0). Get to first year uni, and finish with an overall average of 77% (GPA=3.3). Everyone around me who came out of highschool with the same or higher marks finished first year with a much better average. Even some people with lower marks than me who came out of high school finished much better than me (mid 80s). I'm probably taking much longer to adjust, whereas some people can adjust quickly.

So, to answer your question, it really varies from person to person and school to school. You will be competing with more people and different people...not the same people you competed with in high school. Expectations are higher, courseload is greater, and nobody will be there to make sure you study and perform to the best of your ability.

Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
My top 6 average from high school was 95.3. I dropped 0.2% to 95.1, whereas I had friends drop 15%+. That's just to show how much the drop varies. In addition, I know I could've tried harder and done better too but was pretty lazy, especially towards the end of the year. The 95% in psychology could've easily been a 98% if I'd actually studied for the exam, just as the 96% in calculus could've easily been 97%. My point is that nothing has to change if you're on the top of your game, unless you go to University of Toronto which arbitrarily decides that no one should get 90% in anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nyletak nyletak
I'll be honest, I just finished my first year of health studies at Western and my marks dropped 12%. I had an 87% going out of high school and ended up with a 75% average. However, this is because I chose to slack off and have fun with my friends. I crammed for exams. I didn't pay attention in class so learned every entire course within a week or less and I still did fine. I needed a 70% in my health sci course, which I ended up with a 79% first term and 82% second term. I needed a 70% in bio which I got an 83% first term and 77% last term. That's for honours, I would only need a 60% in those courses if I just want to major in health sci. Anyways, they said the first year average in those courses would be 68 - 72 so I still did fairly decent. Honestly, it's not that hard. If you're really worried about your marks, study and don't cram like I did. Haha.
Was this helpful? Yes 0