yconic - First year questions at UWO
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First year questions at UWO

A photo of banga574 banga574
Hello forum, I was wondering if somebody enrolled in the BMSc+HBA, or the BMsc at western could answer a few questions I have.

I would just like to point out that I missed the AEO supplementary application due to personal reasons, otherwise I would have been able to submit it without any problems.

1) What are the required textbooks for all of the necessary courses? I'm sure that the person at SAO will tell me, but I need a list now, due to the fact that I have access to another university's library and thus, am able to loan the books to study during the summer, so that going into first year, I'll have already learned most of the material. I'm not sure how long library access will last for me, so I want to procure the list ASAP. (What else are summer's for anyways...haha :P)
I.E. the textbooks required for:

i) Biology 1001A, 1002B
ii) Chemistry 1100A/B, 1200B
iii) Calculus 1000A/B, Calculus 1301A/B (I'm pretty sure that this textbook is 'Calculus: Early Transcendentals, Stewart', but I'm unsure as to which edition, the older 6th, or the newer 7th edition...which one did you use? In either case, I'll have 3 months to do both courses, and I think that should be enough time)
iv) Physics 1028A/B, 1029A/B (I'm pretty sure that this textbook is 'Fundamentals of Physics, 9th ed., Walker, but I would just like a confirmation)

2) Seeing as how I missed the deadline for the AEO supplementary application, how realistic are my chances of being accepted into the HBA program in 3rd year? In terms of academics, what do you think will be a reasonable GPA in order to be considered? In terms of extra curriculars, are there leadership opportunities on the campus? Or will I have to start up my own club? (I wanted to start a starcraft team at UWO, but sadly, I can't, cause there already exists one, sadface*)

3) I've heard that the application for a module in toxicology is extremely competitive...seeing as how you completed your first year, would you happen to have an idea on the competitiveness of an entry into that module? In terms of academics, I've heard that a competitive percentage average is 90%-provided that I maintain 8 hours of sleep per day, how many hours of studying will I have to do in order to obtain that average? Provided that I've already gone through the material in the summer, will my study time by reduced by half...a quarter...none at all?

4) Given that you've finished your first year, and thus have had adequate exposure to the various profs, which one would you recommend, for each of the necessary courses?

5) Did you take physics 1028 and 1029, or did you take 1301 and 1302? I'm sure that you did not study ALL day, and had interactions with your fellow students...which ones did they take? Which one is harder in terms of content?

6) In terms of the HBA, I saw on the site that the third year of the combined BMsc + HBA program requires 8.5 credits...shall I assume that the rest of the 1.5 credits will be towards my module in BMsc?

Thanks. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@banga574 wrote
Hello forum, I was wondering if somebody enrolled in the BMSc+HBA, or the BMsc at western could answer a few questions I have.

I would just like to point out that I missed the AEO supplementary application due to personal reasons, otherwise I would have been able to submit it without any problems.

1) What are the required textbooks for all of the necessary courses? I'm sure that the person at SAO will tell me, but I need a list now, due to the fact that I have access to another university's library and thus, am able to loan the books to study during the summer, so that going into first year, I'll have already learned most of the material. I'm not sure how long library access will last for me, so I want to procure the list ASAP. (What else are summer's for anyways...haha :P)
I.E. the textbooks required for:

i) Biology 1001A, 1002B
ii) Chemistry 1100A/B, 1200B
iii) Calculus 1000A/B, Calculus 1301A/B (I'm pretty sure that this textbook is 'Calculus: Early Transcendentals, Stewart', but I'm unsure as to which edition, the older 6th, or the newer 7th edition...which one did you use? In either case, I'll have 3 months to do both courses, and I think that should be enough time)
iv) Physics 1028A/B, 1029A/B (I'm pretty sure that this textbook is 'Fundamentals of Physics, 9th ed., Walker, but I would just like a confirmation)

2) Seeing as how I missed the deadline for the AEO supplementary application, how realistic are my chances of being accepted into the HBA program in 3rd year? In terms of academics, what do you think will be a reasonable GPA in order to be considered? In terms of extra curriculars, are there leadership opportunities on the campus? Or will I have to start up my own club? (I wanted to start a starcraft team at UWO, but sadly, I can't, cause there already exists one, sadface*)

3) I've heard that the application for a module in toxicology is extremely competitive...seeing as how you completed your first year, would you happen to have an idea on the competitiveness of an entry into that module? In terms of academics, I've heard that a competitive percentage average is 90%-provided that I maintain 8 hours of sleep per day, how many hours of studying will I have to do in order to obtain that average? Provided that I've already gone through the material in the summer, will my study time by reduced by half...a quarter...none at all?

4) Given that you've finished your first year, and thus have had adequate exposure to the various profs, which one would you recommend, for each of the necessary courses?

5) Did you take physics 1028 and 1029, or did you take 1301 and 1302? I'm sure that you did not study ALL day, and had interactions with your fellow students...which ones did they take? Which one is harder in terms of content?

6) In terms of the HBA, I saw on the site that the third year of the combined BMsc + HBA program requires 8.5 credits...shall I assume that the rest of the 1.5 credits will be towards my module in BMsc?

Thanks. :)

Hi, I'll try to answer everything I can. I was enrolled in biology and medical sciences during first year although have decided to go into physics for second year.

1.)
i) The textbook is called 'Biology: Exploring the Diversity of Life' by Brock Fenton, Tom Haffie, Denis Maxwell, Ken Davey. Tom Haffie and Dr. Denis Maxwell are professors at Western who teach first year biology. This textbook isn't very useful and I will actually advise you NOT to buy it. Biology 1001/1002 are entirely lecture based - everything on the exam is on the lectures, and the lectures are posted online. Most people study for the exam by re-watching the lectures and the majority of people don't ever read the textbook.
ii) Chemistry 1100/1200 do not use a conventional textbook. They use a 'notebook' that the professors themselves have created. Their lectures are based off the notebook and the practice problems are also found in it.
iii) Calculus 1000/1301 do use the textbook you mentioned, but I do not know which version they will use this year. But in all honesty it won't matter which one you get. If you want to do some self study for calculus but don't want to buy the wrong textbook, check out MIT's websites ( http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/ ).
iv) The textbook in 1028/1029 (I was enrolled in 1028 only, not 1029) is 'Physics For the Life Sciences' by Martin Zinke-Allmang. Dr. Zinke-Allmang is the professor for 1028/1029. This isn't a conventional physics course - it tries to incorporate physics into life science topics whenever it can.

2) Your chances to be accepted into the HBA program are reduced without AEO status, but you will still have a decent chance with good grades and EC's. There are definitely leadership opportunities in clubs, residence, residence floors, outside of campus - I don't think Ivey expects all there applicants to have started a club. I don't know much else about Ivey...

3) Except for calculus, I don't think studying over the summer is going to give you any sort of advantage during first year. Regarding hours spent on studying - it's hard to say since everyone is different.
-For biology to study you have to watch the lectures. If you're good at remembering and understanding something that you hear over and over, then you won't spend too much time studying. Lets say ~2 hours of lectures a week, and another ~2 hours of review a week except when there is an exam when you'll spend more time studying for it.
-For chemistry the best way to study is to attend the lectures, read the portion of the lecture that was covered in the notebook, and then do the practice problems until you UNDERSTAND them. When it comes to first year chemistry it is crucial that you understand more than memorize. How much time you spend studying chemistry each week depends on what is taught that week, but I think you should spend a minimum of ~2 hours doing the practice problems each week.
-You won't have to do too much studying for physics - if any. The quizzes/tests are online so you won't need to memorize anything - you can just check the textbook or the internet if you don't understand something. Also you'll probably be doing them with a group of people so they can help you as well.
-The best way to study for calculus is to do the assigned homework. I'd say spend around ~2 hours completing the problem sets a week and you'll be fine.

The material in first year and the amount of time you have to spend studying isn't a lot - but a lot of people still lose focus and get distracted with parties/social events and get behind. You don't want to have to do all the calculus or chemistry problem sets a few days before the exam - just keep up with the work and you'll get good grades and have a good shot at getting into whichever medical science program you want.

4) You don't have a choice in which biology/physics professors you get, but for chemistry I'd recommend Dr. Lee and Dr. Kalvin. They're both great and considered the best first year chemistry professors. I had Dr. Pourkia for calculus 1000 and he was fine - nothing special but definitely not bad.

5) I took physics 1028A and physics 1302B. One person on my floor took 1301A (he was in mathematics) and me and him were the only people who took 1302B. Everyone else on my floor who was in science took physics 1208A/1029B. In terms of content physics 1301A/1302B is definitely more difficult. In fact I'd go as far as to say that 1028/1029 are bird courses.

6) Not sure. I thought that if you were in Ivey/BMSc during third year you only did HBA courses.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@banga574 wrote

The extensive and seemingly daunting application was part of the selection process. By not filling out the supplementary app, you effectively cut yourself from the applicant pool at the very first available opportunity.

Not playing the game, and then claiming that had you played you would have won is like Donald Trump not running in the presidential race, and maintaining that HAD HE RUN, he would have won. Not particularly impressive.

@banga574 wrote
I am able to loan the books to study during the summer, so that going into first year, I'll have already learned most of the material.

Good luck with that.

@banga574 wrote
2) Seeing as how I missed the deadline for the AEO supplementary application, how realistic are my chances of being accepted into the HBA program in 3rd year? In terms of academics, what do you think will be a reasonable GPA in order to be considered? In terms of extra curriculars, are there leadership opportunities on the campus? Or will I have to start up my own club?

The only real stat that is ever put out is that 2/3 of the HBA1 class is made up of AEOs, and 1/3 is made up of Western students who are not AEOs and transfer students from other universities.

For questions that you should really be asking Ivey, try asking them here.

As for leadership opportunities, Western probably has more leadership opportunities than it has students. If you look for them, you will find them.

@banga574 wrote
In terms of academics, I've heard that a competitive percentage average is 90%-provided that I maintain 8 hours of sleep per day, how many hours of studying will I have to do in order to obtain that average?

A ton.

@banga574 wrote
Provided that I've already gone through the material in the summer, will my study time by reduced by half...a quarter...none at all?

My money would be on little-to-none, but hey, why not give'er a try.

@banga574 wrote

I don't see how anyone finishing first year would have adequate exposure to the various profs in any course where there is more than one prof teaching it; I'd imagine that anyone who's opinion you would value would only have taken each course once, so we would only be able to comment on the prof that we had, and not on anyone else. Different styles of teaching and testing work best for different people too.

@banga574 wrote

I took 1028, dropped 1029 when I switched to Health Sci. 1301 seems to be harder in terms of physics content, but 1028/29 you sort of have to teach yourself. So it would depend on how you learn.

Also, regarding borrowing the textbooks in the summer, good luck finding the 1028/29 textbook as the prof wrote the book specifically for the course, and I'd imagine you'd be hard-pressed to find it in some other university's library.

@banga574 wrote

Actually, the third year is just Ivey, and then your 4th and 5th years are a combination of HBA courses and BMSc courses. I would have thought that the fact that the non-HBA courses would be BMSc courses is a given, considering you're getting those two degrees and likely wouldn't have much time for anything else.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not playing the game, and then claiming that had you played you would have won is like Donald Trump not running in the presidential race, and maintaining that HAD HE RUN, he would have won. Not particularly impressive.

What I meant to say, was that I would have been able to apply for AEO; if I somehow implied that I would've achieved it, I would like to point out that that would not have been necessarily so.

So, I'm assuming that studying 3 months ahead of the September academic year will almost no effect on my grades, with the exception of calculus? Maybe Chemistry?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird
Everything's been covered well, but here are my two cents:

3. You can't achieve good marks simply by studying a certain number of hours. You have to be effective. Be smart about the way you study, so you can minimize the time it takes you to cover the same amount of material thoroughly. This is why some people study half as much as others and still have the same marks. Case in point: JNBirDy only spent 2 hours on calc problems per week. I probably spent 7. Clearly, she is much more efficient. But I wanted to make sure I knew exactly where I went wrong in each problem (and that happened often), so I spent a long time correcting. Just figure out what works for you.

For me, I never re-listened to any bio lectures. It might have been beneficial, but I found my time better spent working through things logically on my own, drawing pictures, making connections, etc.

Studying in the summer? NOOOO just enjoy your time off. I mean, if you're super bored for some reason then sure, do some light chem reading if that's what you enjoy. But you're going to be studying for eight months straight, so take advantage of having time to do other things!

4. I think I've posted this link several times now, but look at prof evaluations here: https://www.ipb.uwo.ca/evaluation/index.php

5. I actually didn't find 1028/1029 conceptually that easy, but somehow my marks were good (somewhat bird course in that sense). Then again, back in my day we actually had to write real, paper tests, so perhaps it's even more of a bird course now. And as beyondsection17 said, you have to learn it yourself mostly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17

@freebird wrote
Everything's been covered well, but here are my two cents:

3. You can't achieve good marks simply by studying a certain number of hours. You have to be effective. Be smart about the way you study, so you can minimize the time it takes you to cover the same amount of material thoroughly. This is why some people study half as much as others and still have the same marks. Case in point: JNBirDy only spent 2 hours on calc problems per week. I probably spent 7. Clearly, she is much more efficient. But I wanted to make sure I knew exactly where I went wrong in each problem (and that happened often), so I spent a long time correcting. Just figure out what works for you.

For me, I never re-listened to any bio lectures. It might have been beneficial, but I found my time better spent working through things logically on my own, drawing pictures, making connections, etc.

Studying in the summer? NOOOO just enjoy your time off. I mean, if you're super bored for some reason then sure, do some light chem reading if that's what you enjoy. But you're going to be studying for eight months straight, so take advantage of having time to do other things!

4. I think I've posted this link several times now, but look at prof evaluations here: https://www.ipb.uwo.ca/evaluation/index.php

5. I actually didn't find 1028/1029 conceptually that easy, but somehow my marks were good (somewhat bird course in that sense). Then again, back in my day we actually had to write real, paper tests, so perhaps it's even more of a bird course now. And as beyondsection17 said, you have to learn it yourself mostly.

As usual, I completely agree with what freebird posted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 04matt04 04matt04
Who in their right mind would study for university during the summer of highschool graduation! That would drive me to insanity :P Im enjoying my summer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Studying in the summer is just insane. You're going to forget it all again anyways....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The whole 'studying in the summer' thing is just a habit...a habit that's kinda hard to let loose. Besides, I'm overseas...not many job opportunities here so late in the summer anyways, and going out costs money. Without an adequate flow of income, I can't go out that often.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
OK PLEASE ANSWER THIS ASAP

Which course for physics do you think is better and Why?
1028/1029 or 1031/1032
In your answer, please consider where someone can get a high mark, help for MCAT prep and meet requirements of US universities (ie Harvard)

Also,
Which Earth Sci course would you recommend? Would the online Planet course be good as a 0.5 elective?

THANK YOU IMMENSELY!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0