yconic - first year taking third year course
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

first year taking third year course

A photo of dsire33 dsire33
Hi!

I'm kind of desperate right now. I wanted to take this 3rd year economics course (Economics and law) all along and I already have the pre-reqs. I did micro and macro this past semester and I did really well in one and all right in the other.

Anyways, all the courses that I wanted to take (all the first year/second year courses) are full, and this one had one opening and I signed up because I need a fifth course for the semester.

Is it a bad idea? I have the pre-reqs...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Shouldn't be a problem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Good luck. Have fun.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
No it's fine
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Psh, why stop there? I'm sure with a potential like yours you can do 4th year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sn86 sn86
You did say you passed the pre-requisites so it should be fine. Also, by doing this subject you get it out of your way when you reach 3rd year =) good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dsire33 dsire33
Okay cool. Thanks for the responses.

I went to the class and it didn't seem too bad. The professor made it clear that he wasn't really expecting anyone to be econ masters and we were going to review what I learned last semester anyways. It's just a different structure from the first year courses I'm getting used to, but that's fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@dsire33 wrote

I went to the class and it didn't seem too bad. The professor made it clear that he wasn't really expecting anyone to be econ masters and we were going to review what I learned last semester anyways. It's just a different structure from the first year courses I'm getting used to, but that's fine.

Why wouldn't you take the first/second year course first? The chances of you acing the course seem pretty high, this will raise your GPA - Skipping to third year is foolish
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@Qq wrote

@dsire33 wrote

Why wouldn't you take the first/second year course first? The chances of you acing the course seem pretty high, this will raise your GPA - Skipping to third year is foolish

OP already took the first year prereqs for the course. There's no reason why not to take an upper level course if you already took the prereqs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rockbaby rockbaby
If you can take the class and it is in your major do it. I am a second year English and I did a third year course in the summer between first and second year and I found it easier (plus the 3rd year class I just did) than some of my second year classes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joanne22 Joanne22
If you have the pre-req's and have done well in similar courses, I'd say go for it if you are comfortable doing so.
If you find you are struggling there is always tutoring, help from profs/ea's/students etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0