yconic - First Year UofT engineering student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First Year UofT engineering student

A photo of IneedHalp IneedHalp
Im in ece and just about to wrap up my first semester, ask me anything you'd like future engineers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
How'd you find the workload so far?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Workload? How many hours a week do you find yourself either in class, or doing work/studying, etc? Are you able to balance the social life with the academic?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

First semester at uoft has been pretty easy so far. Its mostly just highschool stuff with extra stuff added on top. However, at other schools, I have friends who already started integration and stuff.

For example:
My calculus course at the moment starts from the basics of math (im talking trig functions etc, and ends with the beginning of integration)

My physics course at the moment is just typical plug and chug type of physics.

However, I suggest you guys learn programming before hand like in the summer because it can be a bitch for beginners.

You will find yourself doing about 2-3 hours of homework per night if you are efficient and you have plenty of time to work in your breaks.

However, I can't say the same for engineering science because that program doesn't start with review on highschool material and jumps right into new material. In my opinion, unless you want to do research or something after graduation, please don't go into engsci. Trust me, I know alot of engscis that regretted their choice and dropped out of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel

@engineersrock wrote
I hear the same about eng sci, it is ideal for graduate studies and research. I'm interested in that.

If eng sci is truly that much more work, I don't really see the point, when you can get into grad school and get research opportunities in any discipline. I think it really comes down to a prestige thing and the awe that surrounds eng sci for some reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

just be prepared to work your ass off in eng sci, you can always switch to a regular stream if you end up not liking eng sci though, but its somewhat of a hassle since you would have to catch up in all of the work for the stream you switch to
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney
hey do u think its possible to try for medical school while in ece if u take the bioengineering minor? I am interested in ece but I would also like to keep my options open and try for medical school to (if i decide to later on). Would i be able to find time for the extra curricular activties and maintain a good gpa? thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moneymoneymoney wrote
hey do u think its possible to try for medical school while in ece if u take the bioengineering minor? I am interested in ece but I would also like to keep my options open and try for medical school to (if i decide to later on). Would i be able to find time for the extra curricular activties and maintain a good gpa? thanks!

doubt it, ece is known for raping gpas and souls, if you are aiming for med school, go for life science or something

ofcourse, there is nothing stopping you from trying, but realistically this is no way possible lol

sorry if i sound like a dick but this is the truth

However, the biomedical stream is a very interesting field, one of the profs did a presentation on it and he was talking about how they made a computer program to simulate how cells move and work in our body

Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
Hey, so how is the residence life at U of T for engineering? Is there a lot of social-outgoing people at residence life ??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well for rez, most engineers choose chestnut or new college, however if you want social/out-going people i would not opt for the engineering floors, however its harder to study on the other floors so each has its ups and downs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney

@IneedHalp wrote

@moneymoneymoney wrote

doubt it, ece is known for raping gpas and souls, if you are aiming for med school, go for life science or something

ofcourse, there is nothing stopping you from trying, but realistically this is no way possible lol

sorry if i sound like a dick but this is the truth

However, the biomedical stream is a very interesting field, one of the profs did a presentation on it and he was talking about how they made a computer program to simulate how cells move and work in our body

lol alright
just wondering, what was ure entrance average for engineering? like the top 6 courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
What other schools did you get into? Why did you choose U of T specifically?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My entrance avg was 92 and I also got into Waterloo and Mcmaster. I chose uoft because of their rep and their ece department plus UofT engineers have skule spirit.
Was this helpful? Yes 0