yconic - First Year Western Courses.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

First Year Western Courses.

A photo of iCobra iCobra
So first year students in science have to complete 5.0 credits apparently? How many classes a semester is normal. So far my first semester looks like this:
Physics 1301A - 0.5 Credits
Biology 1001A - 0.5 Credits + Lab
Calculus 1100A - 0.5 Credits
Philosophy1022E - 1.0 Credits

Thats 2.5 Credits for first semester but philosophy is a full year course. I need to take another 2.5 credits in the second semester. Should I take more than 4 classes a semester?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
Ok here's how this works. You take 5.0 credits a year. That is the standard student courseload, unless you're part-time (taking fewer) or in eng (taking more).

That looks like a normal first semester courseload, except you're missing chemistry.
Your first & second semester science courseloads (if you're taking philosophy as your 1.0 elective) should look like...

Bio 1001A - 0.5
Chem 1100A - 0.5
Physics 1301A - 0.5
Calc 1100A - 0.5
Philo 1022E - 1.0

Bio 1002B - 0.5
Chem 1200B - 0.5
Physics 1302B - 0.5 [not tooootally sure about this course code, I was in zinke physics]
Calc 1301B - 0.5 [interchangeable with many other math courses]
Philo 1022E - 1.0 [same course as before, but it continues through 2nd sem]

So you see here, your total course load will be 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.0 = 5.0 courses.

Any less than 5.0 credits and you're a part-time student. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
are labs and tutorials mandatory for all courses because if im taking chem bio physics and philosophy each semester and they all have 3 hour labs its going to be very cluttered and confusing. Also, do you have to physically go to Western to sign up for the courses or can you do it online because some of them are already full.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Usually tutorials aren't mandatory (though I believe that is the case with chem), and labs and tutorials alternate weeks. Some courses (e.g. physics I believe) have only a lab (i.e. no tutorial), so you only have a lab every other week. Also, labs and tutorials rarely go the full three hours (two hours is about typical).

You can do either. Personally, I recommend doing it online, that way you can register for courses ASAP rather than wait for SAO. The reason some of them are already full is because you're looking at the 2010-2011 timetable; you'll be registering for courses using the 2011-2012 timetable, which is usually released in early June, I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Usually tutorials aren't mandatory (though I believe that is the case with chem), and labs and tutorials alternate weeks. Some courses (e.g. physics I believe) have only a lab (i.e. no tutorial), so you only have a lab every other week. Also, labs and tutorials rarely go the full three hours (two hours is about typical).

You can do either. Personally, I recommend doing it online, that way you can register for courses ASAP rather than wait for SAO. The reason some of them are already full is because you're looking at the 2010-2011 timetable; you'll be registering for courses using the 2011-2012 timetable, which is usually released in early June, I believe.

If you're taking Physics 1301A/1302B there are tutorials every other week where a TA goes over everything you have learned since the last tutorial and then you take a quiz.

Also, the biology and chemistry tutorials are mandatory to attend.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iCobra wrote
are labs and tutorials mandatory for all courses because if im taking chem bio physics and philosophy each semester and they all have 3 hour labs its going to be very cluttered and confusing. Also, do you have to physically go to Western to sign up for the courses or can you do it online because some of them are already full.

First year labs and tutorials in science courses like bio and chem are mandatory, they're an integral part of your grade. Usually they alternate between lab/tutorial every other week. And yes, your schedule looks kind of cluttered - welcome to university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iCobra iCobra
Thanks for your help guys. Hope to see you next year :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
They seem to be changing their policy on which tutorials are mandatory and which are not every year. When I was in first year (it was a long time ago, I'll admit... though I don't like to), there were no physics (Zinke's physics) tutorials at all and biology tutorials were not mandatory and were widely accepted as being a waste of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

They seem to be changing their policy on which tutorials are mandatory and which are not every year. When I was in first year (it was a long time ago, I'll admit... though I don't like to), there were no physics (Zinke's physics) tutorials at all and biology tutorials were not mandatory and were widely accepted as being a waste of time.

The Zinke physics still has no tutorials, but the regular physics does. And the bio tutorials for the most part are just free marks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@JNBirDy wrote

The Zinke physics still has no tutorials, but the regular physics does. And the bio tutorials for the most part are just free marks.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nyletak nyletak
Basically the only reason you need to go to your chem tutorial is to hand in your chem lab. I had friends who just went, handed in their labs and left... however my TA made us sit there for an hour and a half while someone put up answers to practice questions on the board and THEN we could hand in our lab. It took forever, it was so frustrating. Especially during exams when you really just wanted to be studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sukeera Sukeera
hi does anyone know the marking system and scheme at western for 1st yr and beyond courses, how many assignments, how much are exams and labs worth> how friendly and good is studying at western. are good marks really achievable
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dearjasminee dearjasminee
Is 5 courses per semester the minimum for all the other schools too? and are we allowed to take less if the courseload is too much? I feel like I'm gonna die from too much stress next year already...I only have 3 courses this sem in hs and I already feel like its stressful.. lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dearjasminee wrote
Is 5 courses per semester the minimum for all the other schools too? and are we allowed to take less if the courseload is too much? I feel like I'm gonna die from too much stress next year already...I only have 3 courses this sem in hs and I already feel like its stressful.. lol

5 courses per semester is the MAXIMUM you can take during first year (unless you're in engineering where you take 6). Most full-time first year students take 5 course per semester but if you'd like you can take 4 and still be a full time student. But remember that if you take 4 in a semester you will have to do summer school.

Honestly, 5 courses in first year really isn't that bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@laney wrote

@Sukeera wrote
hi does anyone know the marking system and scheme at western for 1st yr and beyond courses, how many assignments, how much are exams and labs worth> how friendly and good is studying at western. are good marks really achievable

I have a similar question. I was just wondering how many quizzes/labs/assignments/tests you normally get for first year science courses. And in addition, I was also wondering how much of an influence each would have on your final mark for the course (each lab/test etc.). Also, i'm guessing that you have both a midterm exam and a final and I was wondering how much each of them is worth for your overall mark. Thanks :colors:

Edit: Sorry I have another question too. What would you guys recommend between the physics for the biological sciences and the regular physics? I am doing reallllly well in the grade 12 physics right now and was wondering whether or not it would be better for me to take the regular physics (since it would be easier for me because most of the course topics seem to be a review of grade 12) or the physics for the biological sciences (because I've heard that it's a lot easier to do well in and most of the information would actually be useful to me since i'm in the med sci program). I also plan on writing the MCAT, so which physics would be more beneficial to take, in terms of preparation for the MCAT?

Here are some 2010/2011 outlines of courses you might take... if you want to find others just google for example "uwo calc 1301 outline" and you'll find one.

Calculus 1000: http://www.math.uwo.ca/~tfoth/calc2010/outline2010.pdf
Calculus 1301: http://www.math.uwo.ca/~ecoskun/outline.pdf
Physics 1301/1302: http://www.physics.uwo.ca/undergraduate/courses/pdf_files/Physics%201301A%20Course%20Outline%202010-2011.pdf
Physics 1028: http://www.physics.uwo.ca/undergraduate/courses/pdf_files/Physics%201028A%20Course%20Outline%202010-2011.pdf
Physics 1029: http://www.physics.uwo.ca/undergraduate/courses/pdf_files/P1029B%20Course%20Outline-2009-2010.pdf
Chemistry 1100: http://www.uwo.ca/chem/staffdocuments/courseoutlines/1100.pdf
Chemistry 1200: http://www.uwo.ca/chem/staffdocuments/courseoutlines/1200.pdf

I couldn't find the bio ones but the marks are from tutorials, labs, midterms, and the final exam.

---

If you're doing well in grade 12 physics and enjoy it I highly recommend taking the regular (1301/1302) physics. During first year I took Physics 1208A first semester but really didn't enjoy the way it was taught and how simplified it was. It ended up being my second highest mark behind calculus but I found it very boring. Second semester I took Physics 1302B... I really enjoyed the course and didn't find it that difficult (I didn't do grade 12 physics) and have now decided to do an honours specialization in physics as apposed to medical sciences as I had originally planned. I'd think the regular physics would be more beneficial to you if you wanted to do the MCAT as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Sukeera Sukeera
thanks so much for the links for western. by the way are there links like these bout course outlines and rules for UTSC
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw

@beyondsection17 wrote
Ok here's how this works. You take 5.0 credits a year. That is the standard student courseload, unless you're part-time (taking fewer) or in eng (taking more).

That looks like a normal first semester courseload, except you're missing chemistry.
Your first & second semester science courseloads (if you're taking philosophy as your 1.0 elective) should look like...

Bio 1001A - 0.5
Chem 1100A - 0.5
Physics 1301A - 0.5
Calc 1100A - 0.5
Philo 1022E - 1.0

Bio 1002B - 0.5
Chem 1200B - 0.5
Physics 1302B - 0.5 [not tooootally sure about this course code, I was in zinke physics]
Calc 1301B - 0.5 [interchangeable with many other math courses]
Philo 1022E - 1.0 [same course as before, but it continues through 2nd sem]

So you see here, your total course load will be 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 1.0 = 5.0 courses.

Any less than 5.0 credits and you're a part-time student. :)

One piece of advise, I know many ppl who fnished calc 1000 with flying colours but had a lot of trouble with 1301m look into math 1225, its very easy and counts as the requirement for biomed (unless you wanna take calc in upper years, or going to biophysics)

@Sukeera wrote

there are labs every other week for bio, chem and phsyics, calc might give u assignments are quizzes depending on the prof. also know that a lot of course change from year to year and semester to semester, for bio we had to do online assessments (14 questions i thinks) every once in a while, but they changed that for the 2nd semester. Same goes for midterms. Bio had 1 midterm while chem had 2 for first sem. but then bio had 2 and chem had 1 for the 2nd sem.
If you put in the effort, high marks are not hard to get.

Was this helpful? Yes 0