yconic - Fitness
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Fitness

A photo of DKDG DKDG
Any weight lifters on this forum?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I do, not competitively though (not sure if that's what you meant). Have been for a few years now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I've been lifting weights and running since last June, but just for personal fitness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
Iv been doing it since the summer. i dont do it competitively i do it for myself. Im jus curious about other people's training methods, diets, goals etc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I work out for about 75 minutes. I take half a protein shake before and half after.

Saturday, and sometimes Tuesday or Thursday depending on how much time I have available, I go for a run (approximates to 3 miles running, 2 miles walking). I don't eat any dairy or fat foods on that day, and I make sure to drink lots of water.

I still eat quite a bit of junk food in general, but I've gained some decent muscle mass. As I said, it's really just for personal fitness.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dyipper dyipper
I go to the gym and weightlift 3x a week. I'm working on losing my Christmas fat. I'm also trying to get back into cardio.
If you had to choose one, would you rather have strength or endurance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
Since im working on size right now, I prefer strength, because strong muscles usually mean big muscles. I started to try some german volume training this week? Has anyone tried it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I've just recently switched from pretty much pure strength training (via weight lifting) to more balance overall fitness training. I did this for two reasons: 1) I want to have a six pack (i.e. be ripped) by summertime and 2) I've been strength training for at least a year now without seeing any gains (and, in some cases, I've seen losses, despite being disciplined, switching up my exercises, working out support muscles, taking creatine, etc, etc...). At this point, I am very convinced that the only way I'd be able to see gains is by going on the juice.

I'd like to keep my current muscle mass and frame but with less body fat and be able to play sports essentially without tiring, so now I'm watching my calories, eating healthy (when you train for pure strength, you generally don't care about the calories you'd get from slamming back a Hot and Ready, just that it supplies you with a solid amount of protein and tastes good), and going heavy on cardio of various sorts. My routine is something along the lines of the following:
Monday - heavy weights, upper body exercises
Tuesday - cardio (20 minutes of fat burn/warm up, 20 minutes of intervals, 5 minutes of cool down) + abs (crunches and leg raises)
Wed - ball hockey (3 on 3, VERY intense)
Thursday - light weights (high reps and little rest), upper body exercises
Friday - cardio again (same idea as above) + abs (obliques exercises)
Saturday - squash (but relatively light-paced)
Sunday - relax
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
It's all about diet, count your calorie intake if you're not sure what you're getting..

As well if you just go to the gym and lift dumbbells all day like a fool then you're just hurting yourself, do different excersises everyday.
If you're trying to get bigger (bulking) please don't do cardio everyday, you can do HIIT running 2-3 times/week but you should be working out a lot and not just the arms, everywhere.
If you're cutting then do cardio 4-5 times for 30+ minutes with a calorie deficit of at least 500 and working out (especially the abs if you're aiming for a better physique).. If it's abs you're aiming for then you need to get your body fat to under 10% - If you're a twig and you just want abs.. Don't bother you won't get girls like that

Some people look at those Hollywood actors and think if they just stop eating and lifting weights they'll get to that point but those people have personal trainers and work out for at least 3-4 hours a day to get that body
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG

@Qq wrote
It's all about diet, count your calorie intake if you're not sure what you're getting..

As well if you just go to the gym and lift dumbbells all day like a fool then you're just hurting yourself, do different excersises everyday.
If you're trying to get bigger (bulking) please don't do cardio everyday, you can do HIIT running 2-3 times/week but you should be working out a lot and not just the arms, everywhere.
If you're cutting then do cardio 4-5 times for 30+ minutes with a calorie deficit of at least 500 and working out (especially the abs if you're aiming for a better physique).. If it's abs you're aiming for then you need to get your body fat to under 10% - If you're a twig and you just want abs.. Don't bother you won't get girls like that

Some people look at those Hollywood actors and think if they just stop eating and lifting weights they'll get to that point but those people have personal trainers and work out for at least 3-4 hours a day to get that body

u think calorie surplus is neccessary for new muscle?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes and no. You need energy (calories) to build new muscle. That being said, you don't necessarily need a surplus to build new muscle because your body will find ways to take energy away from some sources (e.g. fat, and others) and use it to build muscle. However, it will find a balance between taking energy away from other parts of the body and building muscle. e.g. let's say you work out hard and your body wants to devote 500 calories to building some more muscle. If you provide it with an excess 500 calories in the form of food, then it will gladly devote most of those calories to building muscle. On the other hand, if you don't provide it with excess calories in the form of food, it will need to take energy from your body's energy stores in order to build muscle. Energy stores exist for a reason, so your body is generally reluctant to give up a lot of energy. So, instead of devoting 500 calories to building new muscle, your body only releases, let's say, 250 calories, and you only build 250 calories worth of muscle (i.e. ~ half the mass of new muscle that your body would have made if you had provided it with sufficient excess calories). You lose fat in the process though.

Your body is a lot more complex than that, but that's the gist of it. Basically, when you work out, you have to choose a specific goal, because most fitness goals are, for the most part, mutually exclusive. You can't aim to get really big and lose lots of body fat at the same time. You can do one or the other, or some mixture in between. It all depends on what you want and where you are now. For example, I think I can't really get any bigger (my genetics simply won't allow it), so I'm now focusing on just getting really toned. To do so, I'm focusing on cardio, caloric deficit, and still lifting weights but not as often. If you're 6', 130 lbs, then I'd say screw worrying about calories; eat big and work hard, and you'll soon not be so small/lanky.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
true true. im trying to do both, build muscle and burn fat right now. so my meals allinclude protein, i try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies, and drink a lot of water. I do resistance training 3 times a week and twice a week i have swimming practice.
Can anyone comment on what they think of this routine?
Monday: push ups (with pushups bars, theyre hard lol) 10 x 10
wide pull ups 10 x 10 (except its more like 5 each set lol)

Wednesday: bicep curls 10 x 10
seated shoulder press 10 x 10

Friday: bench dips 10 x 10
chin ups 10 x 10

I take 60-90 second breaks between each set, depending on the exercise. And I do Ab Ripper X after each resistance session too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you have a gym membership?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
Ten sets is ridiculous. You shouldn't need any more than three. Just do more reps/use more weight.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@DKDG wrote

@Qq wrote

Don't listen to that idiot and what you're doing (build muscle, burn fat) is just going to get you lean.. meaning if you're a twig already then your gonna burn off your fat, get abs and your muscles will get shaped out; they won't increase in size.

You MUST increase your intake on food; try for an addition 500 calories.. In your bulking process you might lose your abs but your muscles are going to get bigger in size. You do this bulking for a few months then start cutting again (calorie deficit+more cardio) and getting that 6-pack back - This way your whole body overall will get bigger.

That's the proper way to do it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG

@Zion wrote
Ten sets is ridiculous. You shouldn't need any more than three. Just do more reps/use more weight.

I want to try this "volume training", I've heard good things about it
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG

@Qq wrote

@DKDG wrote

@Qq wrote

Don't listen to that idiot and what you're doing (build muscle, burn fat) is just going to get you lean.. meaning if you're a twig already then your gonna burn off your fat, get abs and your muscles will get shaped out; they won't increase in size.

You MUST increase your intake on food; try for an addition 500 calories.. In your bulking process you might lose your abs but your muscles are going to get bigger in size. You do this bulking for a few months then start cutting again (calorie deficit+more cardio) and getting that 6-pack back - This way your whole body overall will get bigger.

That's the proper way to do it

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/bulkingAndCutting.htm

^^I dont think he agrees with you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Just started doing light lifting with my mom a couple times a week. also doing cardio almost every day. Trying to get fit and lose a few pounds lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samturc samturc
I train for Strongman, I work-out everyday, working something different (ex. back and legs one day and chest, shoulders day 2), if you want to bulk up you need lots of calorie and protein intake. Wednesdays are a rest day and I usually do cardio on wednesdays, ride the bike or run for 45mins.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hockeytyradog hockeytyradog
It's all about staying fit and having fun...right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
Once I'm done my exams, I'll start going 4-5 times a week again. Check out Scott Hermann's videos on youtube. They are so good.

I do some cardio and a lot of weight lifting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0