yconic - Fixed or Floating?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Fixed or Floating?

A photo of kayleerae kayleerae
What interest rate is affixed to your student loan? Which would you recommend? I'm on Canada Student Loans and the site says you get to choose when you finish school so I'm trying to figure out which is best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Ideally you pay off your student loan before you finish your final year, because the great thing about those student loans is that they have no interest unitl then. If that is not possible, then interest will start after you graduate. Now, you should really talk to a finacial services rep (most likely at your bank/credit union) but seeing as interest rates are at historically low levels and the economy is picking up, which will cause interest rates to rise again, I would suggest fixed. However, I'm not sure the spread between fixed an variable, so once again, go to a proffessional
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Hard to say. That's something that you can only really consider when the time comes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MReiser MReiser
Talking to someone financially savvy is definitely the best way to approach this question. Most banks have employees that would be willing to meet with you and discuss your financial options.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moments moments
Go to a counselor at your school, public forums are usually not the best financial advisory for large amounts of money like student loans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0