yconic - Food & Nutrition - anyone?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Food & Nutrition - anyone?

A photo of tatechacha tatechacha
Very little posts here about Nutrition! Anyone applied?

I'm still waiting to hear back from

- Ryerson
- Guelph
- Wester (Brescia)

Let's see how many of us are out there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of jessicadhaliwal jessicadhaliwal
Hi! I applied to all three of those universities and got into Ryerson and Brescia so far. I really just want my Guelph acceptance though. Have you gotten any acceptances yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Not yet. I've only got final marks for 2 grade 12 courses and they need 3 to make a decision.

Why do you prefer Guelph over the others? Ryerson has the highest average for students who applied according to OUAC stats. Toronto also has more volunteering opportunities with a dietetic setting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you mean about Ryerson? Well I've heard a lot of good stuff about the program at Guelph so that's the main reason I want to go there. I don't find a lot on the internet about which university is better for the Foods and Nutrition program.. I wish I could find more information!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What do you mean about Ryerson? Well I've heard a lot of good stuff about the program at Guelph so that's the main reason I want to go there. I don't find a lot on the internet about which university is better for the Foods and Nutrition program.. I wish I could find more information!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What have you heard about Guelph? I agree there's limited information online, which is why I started a thread here. I hope we can share information and ensure we're informed to choose a program that fits our needs.

I went to Ryerson's open house last week. A few observations:

- 50% of admitted students are high school students, 50% transfer/mature/other so many students are not in the 17/18 age group.
- They emphasized how competitive it is to get a DC internship and the importance of a back-up plan.
- We visited the food science lab, which looks like a home economics classroom.
- I asked student reps how they felt this program is different from others. Response, they think it's more hands on (example: they have mock interviews with actors coming in as "patients" to diagnose dietetic issues.)
- They also emphasized their geographic advantage. Being in Toronto, there are tons of volunteering opportunities just outside the door.
- 7 Tim Hortons locations on campus :)
- Admit ~100 students/year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That actually sounds good, I haven't heard a THING about Ryerson. So I completely pushed it out of my mind. Brescia sounds really good too, it's very competitive! I went to the open house last week and they actually focus on their nutrition program a lot. They're very proud of it. The class sizes are really small, the largest class seats about 80-90 student; I really liked that. The dietetic internship coordinator did a seminar on the nutrition program and she said Brescia has the highest success rate for getting the internship. 80% of the students from Brescia who apply get the internship and that's the highest in Canada. It's about 50% for others, something like that. She also talked about how girls from Brescia have gotten amazing jobs right after graduation, such as government jobs, jobs in foreign countries and jobs in popular food companies (Kraft foods, etc). Plus, the program requires you to volunteer and I thought that was great too.

I went to the Guelph open house in November and all the students in the Foods and Nutrition program LOVE it. They all recommended it. Plus, I know the head of the Dietitians of Canada is from Guelph as well. That's gotta mean something, right? This thread has made my decision a million times harder haha! But I'm glad I'm finally getting info on Ryerson. Now I wanna know more about Guelph!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@tatechacha wrote
What have you heard about Guelph? I agree there's limited information online, which is why I started a thread here. I hope we can share information and ensure we're informed to choose a program that fits our needs.

I went to Ryerson's open house last week. A few observations:

- 50% of admitted students are high school students, 50% transfer/mature/other so many students are not in the 17/18 age group.
- They emphasized how competitive it is to get a DC internship and the importance of a back-up plan.
- We visited the food science lab, which looks like a home economics classroom.
- I asked student reps how they felt this program is different from others. Response, they think it's more hands on (example: they have mock interviews with actors coming in as "patients" to diagnose dietetic issues.)
- They also emphasized their geographic advantage. Being in Toronto, there are tons of volunteering opportunities just outside the door.
- 7 Tim Hortons locations on campus :)
- Admit ~100 students/year

There are 14 Timmies @ Western campus ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bresica had an open house?! I didn't get any information! There was the Western open house 2 wks ago but I didn't find a Brescia specific agenda so I didn't go. Darn I missed out!

Sounds like the students of each program are very proud of their program. Brescia's 80% acceptance rate for internships sounds very appealing. I should've asked the Ryerson presenter this question. It'd be interesting to hear their perspective. Can you tell me more about Brescia's mandatory volunteering component?

Guelph's open house is tomorrow so I'll be there. More to come.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@heesoup wrote

There are 14 Timmies @ Western campus ;)

LOL but Western's huge!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tatechacha wrote
Bresica had an open house?! I didn't get any information! There was the Western open house 2 wks ago but I didn't find a Brescia specific agenda so I didn't go. Darn I missed out!

Sounds like the students of each program are very proud of their program. Brescia's 80% acceptance rate for internships sounds very appealing. I should've asked the Ryerson presenter this question. It'd be interesting to hear their perspective. Can you tell me more about Brescia's mandatory volunteering component?

Guelph's open house is tomorrow so I'll be there. More to come.

Well volunteering in the community is required for the nutrtition program. One of the seminars was held by the principal of the school and she said each girl who goes there NEEDS to be able to say she made a difference by the end of the program. I thought that was great since I want to be able to make a difference, somehow. The nutrition program requires you to volunteer in the community, when we were shown the cafeteria, the nutrition program had a sheet hung up talking about the differences they've made in cafeteria food. I thought that was great since they're not just learning in the classroom, but applying it in the school. Have fun at the Guelph open house! I look forward to you sharing about what you heard :-)
Was this helpful? Yes 0