yconic - For Those Becoming CA's, what made you choose this path?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

For Those Becoming CA's, what made you choose this path?

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
For those of you that are trying to become CA's, why did you choose this career?

Just want to hear from a few people about why they chose CA.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
I don't think you can call the CA a 'career'
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@immaculatedx wrote
I don't think you can call the CA a 'career'

That is correct. A CA is a designation. It is not a career.

I chose to work towards getting my CA designation because of the options it opens. Once you are a CA, you are quite hirable. There is the option to stay in public accounting and make decent money and have (generally) pretty decent hours. If you are ambitious you can work your way up. There are many different areas within public accounting that you can pursue. You can also move into industry. Having that knowledge of numbers will allow you to make good decisions. Being a CA will help you get that job. There are so many different places you can go with a CA. I also considered becoming a CMA, but I have been advised by different accountants (some CA, some CMA and some CGA) that becoming a CA is probably the best path for myself, and my gut also said CA. The other career path I was considering was an engineer. It wasn't that I didn't want to be an engineer, it was that I wanted to explore the options that a CA designation opened more than I wanted to be an engineer (or at least I hope so).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK
CA is just a designation, but it can lead to many careers. Accounting is the backbone of any company, any business. All that earning those two letters after one's name does is teaches one the language of business and opens doors for one into any industry. Understanding accounting allows a manager to make better executive decisions, an investor to perform a better analysis of a company, a banker to access risk of giving out a loan in a better way. Earning the designation usually involves working for one of the BIG 4 companies and doing audit. Which means one is going to be going to some of the larges companies in the world and have them open their books to that person. It gives an opportunity to learn any business inside and out, why it is doing well or why it is failing. CAs have global recognition because getting the designation is not just memorization of rules and laws (CGA) or just studying different business strategies (CMA). It is a designation which imposes a new way of thinking creatively so far outside the box that it looks like a dot through a telescope.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@MINTOK wrote
CA is just a designation, but it can lead to many careers. Accounting is the backbone of any company, any business. All that earning those two letters after one's name does is teaches one the language of business and opens doors for one into any industry. Understanding accounting allows a manager to make better executive decisions, an investor to perform a better analysis of a company, a banker to access risk of giving out a loan in a better way. Earning the designation usually involves working for one of the BIG 4 companies and doing audit. Which means one is going to be going to some of the larges companies in the world and have them open their books to that person. It gives an opportunity to learn any business inside and out, why it is doing well or why it is failing. CAs have global recognition because getting the designation is not just memorization of rules and laws (CGA) or just studying different business strategies (CMA). It is a designation which imposes a new way of thinking creatively so far outside the box that it looks like a dot through a telescope.

This is probably the best answer you will get on what becoming a CA means. If what was just explained sounds interesting to you, then maybe becoming a CA is a good career path (I find it interesting).

If you didn't get that from some phamplet, fantastic response, well thought out and articulated ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0