yconic - For those who did not summer school grade 12 English....
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

For those who did not summer school grade 12 English....

A photo of milliex51 milliex51
How did you guys complete four essays in 2 hours??!?! My exam is 3 months from now but many of my classmates are summerschooling grade 12 English this summer to avoid the exam D: Ahhhh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm guessing you're from Ontario.
I'm from BC and took English 12 in the summer, online as well.
I think the biggest tip to give you is to plan out your essays. Take 15 minutes to write a VERY rough outline, using point form ever, so that when you get in to writing your essays, you'll know exactly what you're doing so you won't have to hesitate.
Wow, I think that was a run-on, but you get what I'm trying to say!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Write fast. I'm taking ENG4U right now. Writing on demand has never been a problem for me, and I don't think it will be. 30 minutes per essay is pretty reasonable...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

That's the problem... I'm not good in English nor do I write FAST. I remember at the beginning of the year, my teacher made us write an argumentative essay about the article she gave us, and I didn't even finish! D; I could only write the intro and 1st body and that was it. We had an hour to do it, and sigh. :( I got a 63% on it because my teacher was nice enough to give me that mark but she said I would have gotten somewhere in the 50s :( I have an 87% on my English right now but I'm pretty sure it'll drop D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Is it weird that I only had to write 2 essays in 2 hours? And one of them wasn't even an essay, it was an essay explication then we gave our opinion on it. Heheheheheheh
Was this helpful? Yes 0

aww man, lucky!! D:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Practice makes perfect then.
Just find a bunch of prompts from Google or some database and sit down and time yourself.
There is no way to perfect your writing skills without writing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
There's really not much you can do in my opinion, you're either really good at writing essays or not. I'm horrible at writing essays myself, so I worked extremely hard on presentations to bring up my English mark.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TMLeafs TMLeafs
In summer school, all we did was one essay for the two hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TaylorShandraw TaylorShandraw
I'm from ontario and our exam is three hours long and we only have to write one essay? I've never heard of anyone having to write 4 essays in 2 hours :\
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Really!? Woah. I remember when I summerschool-ed grade 11 English, my exam was 2 hours with only one essay and then reading responses. But my school's grade 12 English exam consists of 4 essays, reading responses in 2 hours. Most students finished 2-3 out of 4 and usually the ones who are really good in English finished four in 2 hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vslow vslow
I've taken English in day school before and I've never had to write 4 essays for my English exam. But then again I didn't go to a semester school, it was a school where the course was for the whole year and our midterm was an essay and then at the end of the year it was an essay and a presentation but it wasn't scheduled during the exam period. I went to high school in Ontario as well (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I go to a non-semestered school too, but I just don't get it how we have to write four essays in 2 hours. However, one of my fifth year friends (I'm still in grade 11), who did the exam when he was in grade 12 said that the teachers will tell you that you have to write an essay in 25 minutes for each.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
4 essays? Wtf I've only had to write 1 in 2 hours.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of infinitoria infinitoria
i'm an ontario student who did english first semester. we had one essay and a set of written questions that ended up being around the essay's length. i think it was 2.5 hours, too.

do you know how long each essay is? sometimes people get really psyched out by the word "essay" even if it's referring to something like a two-page reading response.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan
Two hours for four well written essays? Seems unlikely all the essays are structured and supported for the students who finished.

On my grade 12 english exam I got two hours to write one essay. (In Ontario too)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of terryaki26 terryaki26
I'm in Ontario too and I've never even heard about writing 4 essays in 2 hours.

I'm in grade 11 and all of my past english courses had no essay writing on them whatsoever.

Are you sure they're 4 essays? Not argument paragraphs or something?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RheyDCD11 RheyDCD11
Write wat u say and say wat u mean...avoid "fluff" as a lot of my teachers call it and write straight to the point with the minimum amount of detail to justify whatever you are proving...well at least for Ontario high school students...try not to edit urself while your writing because a lot of my friends told me that was the problem they had when they wrote midterms...it is time consuming and of course budget ur time...best of luck:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you guys for the feedback and tips!!

@RheyDC: Yeah I get what you mean about writing "fluff" because I do that a lot. I tend to hide behind the bush instead of writing straight to the points, especially when it comes to essays. Furthermore, I'm terrible at writing essays-- really. I also edit myself while writing which what you said is true, it is time-consuming but I don't know why-- it just automatically comes D: but thank youu!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RheyDCD11 RheyDCD11

@milliex51 wrote
Thank you guys for the feedback and tips!!

@RheyDC: Yeah I get what you mean about writing "fluff" because I do that a lot. I tend to hide behind the bush instead of writing straight to the points, especially when it comes to essays. Furthermore, I'm terrible at writing essays-- really. I also edit myself while writing which what you said is true, it is time-consuming but I don't know why-- it just automatically comes D: but thank youu!

lol ur a perfectionist? again hope all goes well :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0