yconic - For those who don't get accepted into BCom programs,
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

For those who don't get accepted into BCom programs,

A photo of Buzz Buzz
In doing my research for the programs I wish to study I talked to several very successful friends of my parents. One has an undergraduate from Brown's, PHd in physics and english from MIT and Harvard MBA, and her husband is a professor at MIT. As well as their obvious great academic credentials they have been financially successful with discoveries and science based companies, some of which have gone public. They both said don't do an undergraduate in business if you wish to do an MBA some day. Follow your passion - do math, biology, engineering, even economics. MBAs repeat a lot of material and you may well be better set for a successful career with a combination.
Another one has an undergraduate degree in geography and psychology from Queen's and an MBA from Queen's. He has been highly successful financially but also with an interesting and diverse career.
A local very young bank manager was accepted into Ivey and Queen's B Com, chose Ivey and became very interested in english and ? at Western and decided to complete that degree. He is now obviously in a financial stream for employment. He said that it might just take a couple years longer to get to the financial position you desire but you may be more ready for it and more well rounded and valuable.
Another one, a fund manager at McKenzie, did an economics degree, then law (but not the bar) She says there are many pathways to interesting and coveted financial positions.
This is not to undermine the value of a BCom degree by any means, and it depends on exactly what you wish to do (ie chartered accountant) but it does give some positive feedback for those unsure about their choice, or who don't make it into the highly selective BCom programs. There are many paths to financially lucrative and interesting employment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thanks for sharing! :thumright
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LampShade LampShade

@Buzz wrote
In doing my research for the programs I wish to study I talked to several very successful friends of my parents. One has an undergraduate from Brown's, PHd in physics and english from MIT and Harvard MBA, and her husband is a professor at MIT. As well as their obvious great academic credentials they have been financially successful with discoveries and science based companies, some of which have gone public. They both said don't do an undergraduate in business if you wish to do an MBA some day. Follow your passion - do math, biology, engineering, even economics. MBAs repeat a lot of material and you may well be better set for a successful career with a combination.
Another one has an undergraduate degree in geography and psychology from Queen's and an MBA from Queen's. He has been highly successful financially but also with an interesting and diverse career.
A local very young bank manager was accepted into Ivey and Queen's B Com, chose Ivey and became very interested in english and ? at Western and decided to complete that degree. He is now obviously in a financial stream for employment. He said that it might just take a couple years longer to get to the financial position you desire but you may be more ready for it and more well rounded and valuable.
Another one, a fund manager at McKenzie, did an economics degree, then law (but not the bar) She says there are many pathways to interesting and coveted financial positions.
This is not to undermine the value of a BCom degree by any means, and it depends on exactly what you wish to do (ie chartered accountant) but it does give some positive feedback for those unsure about their choice, or who don't make it into the highly selective BCom programs. There are many paths to financially lucrative and interesting employment.

+1. And a degree in something that's not a BCom like engineering, math, or economics are actually much more impressive than a Bcom with MBA. So many people with Bcoms now adays thats its kinda hard to distinguish... You really should do what you love, you may find that it will find its way back to you in the future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jdot111 Jdot111
Good Post,

That was one of the things I did not like about Bcomm, the MBA is not that much more specialized or more difficult, but it trumps Bcomm every time. no matter what. I eventually would consider getting an MBA, but only if my employer will pay for it. Rotman MBA is over 90,000 including textbooks, supplies, tuition etc. Remember, its not your degree that gets you places, its what you do with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Buzz Buzz
A friend of my parents (I know, yet another one) is a professor at Ryerson in the MBA program. When my Mom asked him why someone would do their MBA there when U of T is right there, he said price. I forget exactly but I think it was something like $20,000. Don't know what he is like as a prof. but he is an intelligent, compassionate and articulate man.
Was this helpful? Yes 0