yconic - for university of western ontario students
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

for university of western ontario students

A photo of ma7moud ma7moud
I am in Biological and medical science in university of western ontario i have three questions
1) what is the difference between psychics 1028A/B and 1029A/B and 1301A/B and 1302A/B and which one prepares you better for mcat and which is easier ?
2)i have credit hour for my calculus 1000A so i want to know the difference between calculus 1000B and 1301A/B and 1501A/B and mathematics 1225A/B and 1228A/B and 1229 A/B applied mathematics 1201A/B and 1413
3) i have credit hour for biology 1223 (1.0) can i take biology from second years while i am in the first year
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Gorges26 Gorges26

@ma7moud wrote
I am in Biological and medical science in university of western ontario i have three questions
1) what is the difference between psychics 1028A/B and 1029A/B and 1301A/B and 1302A/B and which one prepares you better for mcat and which is easier ?
2)i have credit hour for my calculus 1000A so i want to know the difference between calculus 1000B and 1301A/B and 1501A/B and mathematics 1225A/B and 1228A/B and 1229 A/B applied mathematics 1201A/B and 1413
3) i have credit hour for biology 1223 (1.0) can i take biology from second years while i am in the first year

Go to UWO's website and look up course descriptions in the Academic Calendar. That answers every question you have.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheLaw TheLaw
calc1301 is much harder than calc1000, calc1501 is harder than calc1301
from the math courses I only know about 1225 which is same lvl as calc1000 if not easier

for physics the 1028/29 is easier than the other, but i dont know which one prepares u better for the MCAT. and as stated above go look up the courses on the uwo calendar
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jplank jplank
ma7moud: You might find this helpful. Basically, it's all the first year math courses ranked according to difficulty and my recommendations of what you should take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kindayr kindayr
So I had made this huge post about each course, but then when I hit post it had logged me out and I lost it all.

Basically, the 'hierarchy' for math courses is found in jplank's link.

Methods < Calc 1000A < Calc 1500A < Calc 1301B < Calc 1501B/Math 1600

Calc 1500A is a new enriched version of 1000A. Its not more difficult per se, however it is oriented differently and emphasizes rigor and proof more than you will find in Calc 1000A.

Naturally Calc 1000A leads to 1301B. Their learning curves don't differ too much other than what should be expected by taking a second semester calculus course. 1501B expects more from the students as more Math/Physics students are attracted to it and the fact that is has more content.

My advice would be to take Calc 1000A as you're intending, and decided the second half after you have found our your results from first semester.

As to physics, both should prepare you healthly for the MCAT's. 1028/29 just has more focus and emphasis on the application of physics in a biological situation. From what I have heard, not too difficult if you have done highschool physics, and has been forged to basically make the content of physics accessible to students who are usually not necessarily interested in the bigger picture.

However, 1301/02 is more general and expects more mathematically and conceptually from its students. Physically, you get more from it, but it comes with a price of being a little more difficult than 1028/29.

Lastly there is Physics 1501/02 which is an enriched 1301/02. It asks more of its students than 13XX asks, covers more content, and is even more general than 13XX and 1028/29.

So basically its up to how strong you are in physics, how much you want to take from it, and how much you're willing to work.

Yes, these hierarchies exist in math and physics, but its really up to the person taking them. My best advice is don't get overwhelmed by the "difficult" aesthetic some of these courses may have. Just pick what you want to take and try your best with them.

Further, this link should help http://grothendieck.math.uwo.ca:8080/Exam/. It's simply a supplement and diagnostic in your choice for math courses.

I hope this all helps :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0