yconic - foreign students..
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

foreign students..

A photo of Talya91 Talya91
Hey
I always wonder how you feel about international students in class.. and overall at your school( uni , college, high school) is there lots of them?
Do you care if the school has lots of intl. students?
Do you think this reflects the school global reputation?

How do you guys communicate with students who came from different parts of the world and do you think your school can provide them with the necessity help to graduate with a good overall grade?
Do you think you can make them feel comfortable in class? If som what did you do?

I'm intl. student myself(from Spain) and doing a little first year research for my ( International studies course) about how Canadian students in university level can interact and adjust with foreign students in their classes. I have examined students at my current school ( U of Alberta) and yeah I got lots of different/surprising opinions. I would like to hear from you since of course not all of you at U of A.

Feel free to talk, I know some of you don't care about this matter that much, or treat these internationals as jokes or so.. I can recognize that very well. However, my topic is about your opinions and I'm welling to listen, and I'm sure you have had international students at least once in your academic life.

Let me know about your thought!

Talya
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of TWilliams TWilliams
This isn't from my personal experience but my sister goes to UofT and Toronto is already a very diverse city and she has met many students from different parts of the world and she gets along with them very well.
I don't mind if a school has many international students, I actually think that it's beneficial to interact international students and share life experiences. It helps people to overcome differences and focus on similarities (ex: student life, family etc.). From what I've heard and seen most people seem to get along and some people even connect more with international students that with local ones.:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rabbit404 rabbit404
Cultural diversity is the prime representation of Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Hmmm well, I'm not in university yet, but I can speak from a high school perspective.
I go to a high school where the international to non-international student ratio is probably somewhere around.. 2:1.
I have a LOT of international students at my school, most of them being Asian.
They make up at least 35-40% of the population.
I rarely talk to any of them because, well, they don't know enough English to talk back..
but I do know that it's hard to get a lot of school spirit going around the school since almost half the school won't know what's going on.
But for the international students that do speak English quite fluently, I think they're genuinely really nice.
My chemistry lab partner is an international student and we always joke around and have a good time.
:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemons lemons
i prefer making friends with int students..you can learn so much more from them
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@lemons wrote
i prefer making friends with int students..you can learn so much more from them

Yeah that is very true, especially if you're into learning about different cultures and customs.
But it gets hard when the other student barely speaks any English, as is the case with lots of international students at my school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AbbraKaufmann AbbraKaufmann
I think it's awesome! :) You can learn so much from them and you've also got to have some respect for them especially when they come for an exchange and just go to a different country by themselves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
yea honestly it one of the reasons i want to go to uoft next year. Toronto is a good representation of what it means to be multicultured. Someone in my family (not bloodline) was once an international student, hes one of the smartest guys i know and hes a prof. I have great respect for anyone who can come to a country and really put forth the effort to learn a language and contribute. I couldnt stand french class so i cant imagine what it'd be like to have to go through that everyday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ILovePeach ILovePeach
They're just like regular students except their preferring to stay in their own social circle...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ILovePeach ILovePeach
They're just like regular students except their preferring to stay in their own social circle...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
I haven't met too many people at Queens who are international but i think you would be fine. I am Canadian but i grew up in many countries so i was a bit different from other people. Whenever i meet people and tell them i lived in place X they alway think it is cool. Being from Spain i think a lot of people will be interested in you, living abroad has been a great conversation starter for me(works surprisingly well with the ladies :p). People will be a bit ignorant of your view, its just human nature, but i think you will be able to help improve the views of people around you. I have had the opportunity to educate people about parts of the world they had a very narrow view of.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of al1993 al1993
Foreign students are just like any other student.
I don't view them any differently, although there may be language barriers at times.

I remember we had 2 French exchange students at my high school last year and they got along well with everyone. They went to prom with students, partied, got good grades, etc. But for some foreign students, it is difficult for them to settle in the new environment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of laviola laviola
I've had 'foreign' students in my classes in high school. we had some germans and brazilians. in university I feel like a LOT of people at least in my program are international students. I've met quite a few french exchange students too (usually from lyon). It's something I've gotten used to, so I don't see them as any different. I like having them in my classes too, they can bring really different perspectives to the table and just make it a little more interesting. Honestly though in general I don't notice the difference between international and domestic students. you can't really pick out the international students here based on anything.. a lot of people raised here have the same accents, lol.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Malinka Malinka
Foreign students are a wonderful contribution to the learning experience. They offer new perspectives and ideas that would not otherwise come up in class, and have many unique experiences of their own to share from their country of origin. I've always found international students to be wonderful to party with, exceptional conversationalists, and able to cook really amazing food.

I don't understand what is meant by the whole language barrier issue. If you are studying outside of Quebec in Canada, you must pass and English language assessment test that basically means you are fluent in English. I have never had a language issue with any of the international or exchange students I have met. This includes people from Trinidad, Barbados, Jamaica, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Chile, Spain, France, UK, Poland, Austria, Italy, Norway, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Sudan, India, UAE, Egypt, China, Japan, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some places.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
It doesn't make a difference to me where the student is from, as long as he's a cool guy. It can be an interesting experience to meet someone from another part of the world though. Get to learn about other cultures, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0