yconic - FOUR OFFERS ALL RECEIVED! :D PPL COME AND HELP ME PICK ONE PLZ
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

FOUR OFFERS ALL RECEIVED! :D PPL COME AND HELP ME PICK ONE PLZ

A photo of Antidote Antidote
Received:
Waterloo computer science co-op
Waterloo software engineering co-op
U of T computer science
Queen's computing

I'm not really considering Queen's. However, I've been struggling to choose one from the other three. Anyone has any suggestions? :D Btw I'm doing horribly in Chemistry... Don't know if I'm gonna fail if I go to soft eng :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of greygoose greygoose
It depends what you're interested in. You sound like the choice is between U of T and Waterloo, really.

Remember that software engineering focuses mostly on applications and software development, and computer science has more theory.

U of T is in downtown Toronto. Some people really don't like the small-town character of Waterloo. But for that reason, Waterloo is cheaper to live in, and you won't need to commute/commute nearly as far.

The programs' reputations are pretty much equal. Waterloo has a little bit more student community than U of T has, I would say.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Vingilot Vingilot
Hey, was just wondering, why are you concerned you'd fail software eng? is it much harder than compsci? prospective software eng here :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
OMG GO TO WATERLOO SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. U get the highest paid co-op in the WHOLE WORLD. U will likely get hired even before u graduate. Plus u will be graduating from WATERLOO SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. Thats like graduating from MIT(well, not really). Those 4 years will be torture, u will not get to go clubbing, play sports and whatnot, but lets get real, its Waterloo, not western. Dont turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity in fear of failure. U will not get another chance. Be brave and embrace ur future.

K goodnight
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Vingilot wrote
Hey, was just wondering, why are you concerned you'd fail software eng? is it much harder than compsci? prospective software eng here :)

LOL for personal reasons, I'm doing horribly in Chemistry.. and it requires to take chem in second year.... so I'm like.. @_@
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of utkarsh utkarsh

@Antidote wrote
Received:
Waterloo computer science co-op
Waterloo software engineering co-op
U of T computer science
Queen's computing

I'm not really considering Queen's. However, I've been struggling to choose one from the other three. Anyone has any suggestions? :D Btw I'm doing horribly in Chemistry... Don't know if I'm gonna fail if I go to soft eng :S

Flip a coin.
Heads ; Waterloo Computer science.
Tails ; Waterloo software engineering.
lands vertically ; U of T computer science.

PROBLEM SOLVED :clown:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bscit Bscit
May I ask, what is your admission average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Bscit wrote
May I ask, what is your admission average?

Gr.11 92.7%
Gr.12 89.4%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
I'd say rule Queen's out.

All of the others are good, but from what I've heard, most people taking Waterloo Computer Science/Software Engineering with Co-op are very likely to get a good job after university :)

Btw if I may ask, what was your admission average for UofT computer science?? And your Calculus mark?? I'm still waiting for my acceptance to that :(

Edit: If I could just know what you got in calculus...realized you already answered the average question :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cm0011 wrote
I'd say rule Queen's out.

All of the others are good, but from what I've heard, most people taking Waterloo Computer Science/Software Engineering with Co-op are very likely to get a good job after university :)

Btw if I may ask, what was your admission average for UofT computer science?? And your Calculus mark?? I'm still waiting for my acceptance to that :(

Edit: If I could just know what you got in calculus...realized you already answered the average question :/

I'm taking a non-semester school, so i just started calculus in late Jan, and no mark entry was sent to u of t before i got the offer.

May i ask why you want to get into u of t? What are its advantages?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
UW SE! You won't regret it and if you don't like it you can drop out to UW CS program.

I wanted to go to UW, but was financially restricted so I decided on UTSG CS so if you have any questions for UTSG CS hit me up!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of applesnack applesnack

@broodp4 wrote
U will not get another chance. Be brave and embrace ur future.

Antidote could switch into software engineering if he/she is not into the computer science XD ...its not 'once in a lifetime' lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
I would say UW SE, but I'm a little biased haha :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of frozenyogurt frozenyogurt
The choice should be very easy...
Waterloo Software Engineering
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@applesnack wrote

@broodp4 wrote

Antidote could switch into software engineering if he/she is not into the computer science XD ...its not 'once in a lifetime' lol

Ah will I waste time if I switch from cs to se? Like do I have to take one more year to graduate?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Antidote wrote

@applesnack wrote

@broodp4 wrote

Ah will I waste time if I switch from cs to se? Like do I have to take one more year to graduate?

Haha nice joke. Switching into software engineering from CS. This made me laugh so hard. Let me explain. Switching engineering programs, even within the engineering faculty at waterloo is unheard of. Switching into Software engineering... Well I can only wish u good luck. And if U are trying to switch to SE from CS, This is the answer u will most likely get

SO, as i said before "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to glow,
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime!"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@broodp4 wrote

@Antidote wrote

@applesnack wrote

@broodp4 wrote

Haha nice joke. Switching into software engineering from CS. This made me laugh so hard. Let me explain. Switching engineering programs, even within the engineering faculty at waterloo is unheard of. Switching into Software engineering... Well I can only wish u good luck. And if U are trying to switch to SE from CS, This is the answer u will most likely get

SO, as i said before "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to glow,
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime!"

Wait... so basically u can switch from se to cs but not from cs to se? That confuses me... isn't cs harder than se....? ಠ_ಠ
Was this helpful? Yes 0

LOGIC is a key word here. If CS was harder than SE would it be logical to have an option to drop out of SE into CS? I think that should answer your question. Again pls pick SE, if u think u have what it takes. In the end it's your decision. TO BE software engineer(UW) OR NOT TO BE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0