yconic - French immersion- University of Ottawa
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

French immersion- University of Ottawa

A photo of SHAZYZANG SHAZYZANG
Hey folks! I'm thinking of going to University of Ottawa, for their french immersion program, but I'm not sure how it works. I'd like to know everything about it, but I don't know how to ask that. What I'd mainly like to know is how the classes work. Would a major in business be my only courses, with the french taking a minor's place? Or could I also minor in film studies? For that matter, I don't understand what majoring/minoring really means. Thanks for any assistance
Was this helpful? Yes 1
7 replies

A photo of sllencer sllencer
First some definitions.

Program- ...Your subject of study, for example Engineering program, Psychology program, and Arts program.

Majoring/ Major - It's another way of telling ppl what you studied specifically. For example you may be enrolled in an ARTS PROGRAM and you're MAJORING in history. Kinda like ... what you're specialty is.

Minoring - Let's say I'm a math major, so my core courses would be math. But if I take a certain number of economics courses in university, I can apply to the school and have them say I MINORED in economics (i.e. Major in math, with a minor in economics).

From what I briefly read on the U of O site, french immersion isn't a "program". It's kinda like extended french from middle school or high school. You would do your program and major in whatever, BUT if you're in the french immersion, your courses will be taught in FRENCH.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks! That makes sense now. Could anybody who's in french immersion tell me what that's like?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of winning winning
I plan on doing French immersion if I get accepted to my first choice program at Ottawa.

I can't speak from experience, but immersion.uottawa.ca is really useful. There's also a really useful general facebook page and a lot of the student ambassadors are immersion students. They can answer all sorts of questions.

http://www.facebook.com/uOttawa.amb

There's also a student ambassador chat thing on the website and some French immersion at ottawaU youtube videos.

I don't have the time to look them up at the moment but send me a PM if you can't find anything that I mentioned.

K.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmorassut jmorassut
Bonjour,

I am one of the French Immersion student mentors at the University of Ottawa. As the last person has mentionned, one excellent way to find out about the French Immersion program is via our website: http://www.immersion.uottawa.ca/index.php?lang=eng. If you are looking for specific anwsers about the program, the student mentors such as myself would be happy to anwser your questions by email. (email address and other useful information found at the following link: http://www.immersion.uottawa.ca/resources.php.)
The French Immersion program is for any student who wants to learn French and take their courses in French as well. How it works, is you pick a program of study (example: Health Science, Psychology, History, etc.) and you choose to have that program be in French Immersion. What this means is that you would take certain amount of your courses in French. As well we offer many FLS (French as a Second Language) courses to French Immersion students to help develop their French skills apart from taking for example one of your program courses in French.
Here is an example: Your program is a major in History. You would take some of your program classes, ie. your history classes in French as well as taking some FLS classes to develop your French in general.
We offer lots of help to Immersion students who are in these French classes, so do not be intimidated! If you would like more info and specific information about the French Immersion stream, feel free to get ahold of one of us mentors via email or phone!

Bonne chance!

Jessie
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of jmorassut jmorassut
I would just like to add that it says I am a "Frosh" but in fact I am a "Senior"! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jmorassut wrote
Bonjour,

I am one of the French Immersion student mentors at the University of Ottawa. As the last person has mentionned, one excellent way to find out about the French Immersion program is via our website: http://www.immersion.uottawa.ca/index.php?lang=eng. If you are looking for specific anwsers about the program, the student mentors such as myself would be happy to anwser your questions by email. (email address and other useful information found at the following link: http://www.immersion.uottawa.ca/resources.php.)
The French Immersion program is for any student who wants to learn French and take their courses in French as well. How it works, is you pick a program of study (example: Health Science, Psychology, History, etc.) and you choose to have that program be in French Immersion. What this means is that you would take certain amount of your courses in French. As well we offer many FLS (French as a Second Language) courses to French Immersion students to help develop their French skills apart from taking for example one of your program courses in French.
Here is an example: Your program is a major in History. You would take some of your program classes, ie. your history classes in French as well as taking some FLS classes to develop your French in general.
We offer lots of help to Immersion students who are in these French classes, so do not be intimidated! If you would like more info and specific information about the French Immersion stream, feel free to get ahold of one of us mentors via email or phone!

Bonne chance!

Jessie

Thank you! I intend to study business, and it would be great to ask any immersion students about their experiences, especially a business student. I'm still not sure if it's right for me, since I'm not very good at french (and I've only ever studied core french, currently grade 11).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mhamadi mhamadi
Hey there,

I’m also a student at OttawaU; I’m in my third year doing a bachelor of Health Sciences in immersion. I've met tons of people in my program in immersion that have only done French core and they're doing great! I actually did French core up until grade 8, then I did French extended throughout high school, but I really didn't find it all that different, except that I had to take French every year and history + geography in French.

French Imm here is a really great program with many benefits that I haven’t found elsewhere! For example, in your first 2 years of study here, you can choose to “hide” the mark of the courses you take in French, so if you do really bad, it won’t show up on your transcript. If you pass the course, it will show up as an “S” meaning satisfactory, and if you don’t pass, it will be an “NS” – non-satisfactory. You can do this for up to 8 courses that you do in French in your first 2 years. And believe me, this is super great, especially if you have an admission scholarship; hiding your mark could help you keep your GPA high enough to be able to maintain an 8.5 GPA and renew your scholarship the following year!

Speaking of scholarships, a really great bursary that just came out this year is an automatic $1000/ semester for every student in French immersion that’s taking at least 2 courses in French per semester. There’s no application or paper work to fill out (unlike many other scholarships) and you get it regardless of your GPA (which is not the case for your admission scholarship and that’s why most students lose their scholarship after the first year). So you improve your French and get money at the same time for that! Honestly, I see it as a win-win situation :)

Another added bonus is that it’s a super flexible program! Over the course of 4 years doing your undergrad, you just have ensure that you do 42 credits in French (14 courses). Normally, a full time student takes 4 or 5 courses per semester, so you have lots of room meeting this requirement (but this also depends on the flexbility of your business program). The thing is, you don’t have to take any additional courses outside of your program. For example, I took some of my health science courses in French since I have to do them for my program anyway and at the same time, they can count towards my immersion requirement, so why not? Doing your program courses in French is useful since you get to learn the vocab associated with your field in French and you become comfortable with it before you would have to use it on the job.

However, by no means are you restricted to only taking your program courses in French! You can take some Francais Langue Seconde (FLS) courses, which are classes of about 20-30 students (sort of reminds you of high school) with the objective of improving your French. There are different FLS courses for grammar, writing, oral expression, and they’re all at various levels, depending on your French language competencies. I’ve done a handful of FLS courses since I felt that my grammar and oral expression in French wasn’t so great, and I feel like these courses have really improved my French skills!

In regards to your other question, a minor constitutes 30 credits or 10 courses. Here's a link that better describes the structure of major, minors, etc. :

http://web5.uottawa.ca/admingov/regulation_2.html

Btw, I added a minor to my degree just recently and I'm still balancing it with immersion :)

I hope this has answered some of your questions! Good luck with your studies and if you do end up applying to French immersion, best of luck with that as well!
Was this helpful? Yes 1