yconic - From my marks and EC's,do I have any chance of getting in a business program at all?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

From my marks and EC's,do I have any chance of getting in a business program at all?

A photo of lianev lianev
I'm currently taking a 5th year in high school,after changing my mind to head into business instead. I've been looking at past posts of people who have been accepted into competitive business programs in Canada and I can't imagine myself being accepted after looking at them :( If I'm unlikely to get into a good business program university, I think I might have to change paths again...
In terms of top marks so far
World history: 90
English: 85
World Geography: 90
Business Management (M Course): 95
International Business:92
Advanced functions: 70

I haven't taken calculus yet and will take functions again next semester to boost up my marks. Math is my weak point though and I currently have an 87 average, not counting calculus yet.
My dismal EC's include:
-Deca Provincials and exec
-Shift supervisor @ gift wrapping program
-Part time job

I'm planning to apply to Rotman commerce at UofT SG and co-op management at UofT Scarborough, business management at Ryerson. I'm also considering either BBA or iBBA at Schulich or Business administration at Wilfrid Laurier.I'd appreciate any help/ advice at all,thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
did u take calculus...you need that for rotman and Scarborough...i dont noe about ryerson pre-req but u should get into their program...out of what you mentioned...ryerson seems like a safe bet...and if u didnt take calc...u should've taken a second math course...business pre-reqs are usally two of three maths...some require advanced functions some require calculus...some require both
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Don't know why you're so pessimistic - you may not get into the best schools, but you'll still get into a good program. You definitely have a chance at UTSC (I think you'll get an alternate offer for regular management, not co-op, but it's still good). You'll get into Ryerson and Laurier. For Rotman, your math marks will be crucial. Keep in mind that Rotman doesn't accept repeated marks; they'll just consider your first attempt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lianev lianev
Viking- Yes I'm going to take calculus next semester. I'm guessing I'll get a 75-80.

Aeryn- I'm prepared for the worst XD. I just know people who have pretty decent marks and EC's not getting into programs like Rotman and Schulich. UTSC is my second choice, because of the fact that it's close to toronto and it has co-op. Ryerson and Laurier sound good though. Do you know how intensive math is at Rotman by any chance?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BudsFan94 BudsFan94

@lianev wrote
Viking- Yes I'm going to take calculus next semester. I'm guessing I'll get a 75-80.

Aeryn- I'm prepared for the worst XD. I just know people who have pretty decent marks and EC's not getting into programs like Rotman and Schulich. UTSC is my second choice, because of the fact that it's close to toronto and it has co-op. Ryerson and Laurier sound good though. Do you know how intensive math is at Rotman by any chance?

You are required to take a linear algebra class as part of the mandatory Rotman Commerce year 1 curriculum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Soccerboy Soccerboy
Okay, got the York number through email. Then went on the website, it says we only have 30 minutes to submit the supplementary form after we see it? Wtf...

shouldn't the supplementary form be found somewhere and then we print it out, and attach it with hardcopy of references?
whats the process this year?

other then recomendation + supplementary form, what else do you submit to Schulich?

thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0