yconic - Frosh Week
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Frosh Week

A photo of caveman caveman
Hey current university students.

Could anyone give a detailed description of what happens on Frosh Week (or the various other titles it goes by)?

I just see it being awkward at first. Like you show up all alone and then there is a bunch of other shy, scared, lost people who show up and there are a couple rowdy upper-year students leading and some that talk quietly to each other and ignore everyone.

Seems massively awkward to me. If someone could give more detail, that would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically for UW if possible :)

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
21 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
I was wondering why you assumed everyone would be shy and scared, until I saw it was about Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
I was wondering why you assumed everyone would be shy and scared, until I saw it was about Waterloo.

Yeah... I forgot to mention that I am not living on rez so it probably makes it more awkward.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@Zion wrote

This LOL.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mxfire mxfire

@Zion wrote

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@Zion wrote

Haha.

From what I heard from my friends at Waterloo last year...

-There is a mathematics contest?
-Something to do with pokemon.
-A concert (marianas trench played last year).
-And I'm not sure if this is for all programs, but some programs (or all) have to write an english exam.

Have fun!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
This thread should have been closed after Zion responded.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Can someone please answer the question? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@JNBirDy wrote

@Zion wrote

Haha.

From what I heard from my friends at Waterloo last year...

-There is a mathematics contest?
-Something to do with pokemon.
-A concert (marianas trench played last year).
-And I'm not sure if this is for all programs, but some programs (or all) have to write an english exam.

Have fun!

I don't think there is a math contest - maybe someone was talking about the math readiness test which is written during your first class

Each faculty has a different theme for their events each year and the events vary each year. My sister's year had Medieval Times as their theme (Faculty of Arts) and last year Pokemon was the theme of the Math Faculty

Everyone at UW has to write and pass the English Language Proficiency Exam (ELPE). Most people write this at some point during O-Week. The time depends on your faculty. Some people (typically those with strong high school english marks) write it at the beginning of the winter term.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of freebird freebird

@caveman wrote
Hey current university students.

Could anyone give a detailed description of what happens on Frosh Week (or the various other titles it goes by)?

I just see it being awkward at first. Like you show up all alone and then there is a bunch of other shy, scared, lost people who show up and there are a couple rowdy upper-year students leading and some that talk quietly to each other and ignore everyone.

Seems massively awkward to me. If someone could give more detail, that would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically for UW if possible :)

Thanks!

I can't give you details on UW, but for UWO we try to have a lot of events that are fun and get frosh acquainted with campus, rez, and available resources at the university and such.

Yes, it is awkward for most people, but everyone's in the same boat. The majority of frosh know practically no one and so usually everyone just talks to everyone else because they all want to meet people. Every conversation basically goes, 'Hi, I'm _____.' and then What program are you in? Where are you from? Which rez are you in? etc. and then some people you will never see again and other people will become your friends. So don't worry too much, by the end of the week it'll be a lot better. But there are always a few frosh who are so uncomfortable they just get hammered and make fools of themselves. Don't be that person.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@caveman wrote
Can someone please answer the question? :)

Well, I didn't personally participate hugely in Frosh week, but I still got something out of it! Not the best week of my life but certainly a bunch of fun. Living on campus is not a requirement by any means, though it may make it a bit more difficult to attend the evening events. I believe they have some special stuff for off-campus frosh, as they do for each residence community.

http://www.orientation.uwaterloo.ca/

That's the main, non-faculty-specific website, though no information is up yet.

The nice thing about frosh week is that it is an opportunity to get to know people. Even I met a bunch of people, and I wasn't particularly into it. I met one of my best friends in first year on my frosh team, and am good friends with a lot of my frosh leaders as well. Actually, I thought the most awkward night would be this "Playfair" thing on the first, which was a good hour of "icebreaker" events, but it turned out to be one of the least awkward and most fun events of the week. The Math faculty scavenger hunt night was also great fun! I wasn't crazy about the games in the park, though that might have been because of how sunburned I got...

If you're not big on rooms crammed with people, avoid the big cross-faculty events squashed into the SLC like Boars, Tools, and Ties and Monte Carlo. Even though the second is a formal, the building doesn't have the capacity for that many people, and it just gets jammed and hard to talk to anyone.

But basically, what I'm trying to say, is though not everyone will like every event, there is something for everyone. The nice thing about frosh week is people are much more willing to just talk to strangers and make friends, so I'd say it's less awkward than you imagine. Try to participate in as much as you can, and maybe you'll like some stuff and maybe you won't, but there won't be any loss in trying!

Don't stress about it, it's supposed to be fun :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SparklingBG SparklingBG
Frosh Week is one of my favourite experiences everyday because its always different. I don't know how Waterloo does things but based on my friends who go to Waterloo, I HIGHLY doubt you will be doing exams and pokemon during that time. The whole point of Frosh is to give Froshies the school spirit that the upper years 'should' have and to orient you to all the resources you have on campus. At the beginning, it will probably be awk only b/c you don't know everyone there but once you get your matching shirts on and they do ice breakers, you will at least know a couple of names by the end of the day (unless you have a memory like me in terms of names..i forget them almost instantly). HOpefully by the end of the week, you will have no voice b/c of all the cheers and chants you will be doing...for Waterloo, google last years Frosh website. HOpefully they have one and it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Regardless of what you guys do, i encourage you to go b/c if you don't go, everyone that went will be talking about it. It's a good way to start university before you have to have your face in a book for 4 months before the holidays
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SparklingBG wrote
I HIGHLY doubt you will be doing exams and pokemon during that time.

I beg to differ. As an attendee of Math Orientation 2010, I watched people write the required first year English exam (ELPE) and played lots of Pokemon ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kiddinaround kiddinaround

@greygoose wrote

@SparklingBG wrote
I HIGHLY doubt you will be doing exams and pokemon during that time.

I beg to differ. As an attendee of Math Orientation 2010, I watched people write the required first year English exam (ELPE) and played lots of Pokemon ;)

wow. that is sad

If you're in res (hopefully you are), Frosh week is your most "risk-free" chance to get to know everyone, seeing that most people will go to school without friends, and be eager to make new ones. Just be social, find out the events on campus and coordinate with people in your residence and try to go together. Alcohol sometimes can help if you drink, don't overdo it though. No one likes the "retardedly drunk kid".

My frosh week consisted of me and my now best friends (kids all from my residence), a few 24s, some drinking games, a condom poker tournament, a few bars, and some lifelong memories. But i'm just a drunk so caution my advice. I think Alexisonfire played but I couldn't tell you for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Yaroslav64 Yaroslav64
Get buzzed, meet people, play games, get drunk, pass out, wake up repeat X 6

Seriously though there's no reason to be shy during Frosh week, everyone is EAGER to meet new people. It's completely expected to walk up to random people and strike up conversations and the games will put you in good positions to meet new people without it feeling forced. Just remember to be out going and in a good mood.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaytotz kaytotz
LOL the ELPE is "a 300-500 word impromptu essay [written] in 60 minutes." Big deal. Most will probably finish it within 15 minutes so it's not reason enough to completely ridicule UW's frosh week. And it can be written in December or April.

LEAVE WATERLOO ALONE! haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kiddinaround wrote
wow. that is sad

@kiddinaround wrote
But i'm just a drunk so caution my advice.

Uh huh. I think I'll caution your opinion too, buddy...

In all seriousness though, *please* don't be the idiot getting shipped to the hospital to have his stomach pumped. They always exist. Don't be him. You can enjoy alcohol without consuming it at toxic levels and losing control of your bodily functions... and I suggest if you are drinking for the first time, only do it with people you trust, and start on things with lower alcohol concentrations so you can learn your limits and pace yourself. Make damn sure it's not on an empty stomach.

@kaytotz wrote
LOL the ELPE is "a 300-500 word impromptu essay [written] in 60 minutes." Big deal. Most will probably finish it within 15 minutes so it's not reason enough to completely ridicule UW's frosh week. And it can be written in December or April.

Can you even write that many words in 15 minutes? People forget what it's like handwriting exams. I know it was a huge jump for my AP classes--practicing writing a 5-page essay on paper in 40 minutes was like half the exam.

Anyhow, you are required to write it during frosh week, depending on your faculty. Others write later. Just because there exist rewrite times doesn't mean you want to do that. Everyone else does it, it takes all of an hour, so just suck it up, read the goddamn requirements, and pass the first time. Take 5-10 minutes to plan it out, write it in 30, and spend the rest of the time proofreading, checking it over for grammatical errors. Read the requirements in advance, learn what you need to do, and you're golden. Never have to think of the ELPE again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@greygoose wrote

@kaytotz wrote

Can you even write that many words in 15 minutes? People forget what it's like handwriting exams. I know it was a huge jump for my AP classes--practicing writing a 5-page essay on paper in 40 minutes was like half the exam.

Anyhow, you are required to write it during frosh week, depending on your faculty. Others write later. Just because there exist rewrite times doesn't mean you want to do that. Everyone else does it, it takes all of an hour, so just suck it up, read the goddamn requirements, and pass the first time. Take 5-10 minutes to plan it out, write it in 30, and spend the rest of the time proofreading, checking it over for grammatical errors. Read the requirements in advance, learn what you need to do, and you're golden. Never have to think of the ELPE again.

It's got to be easier than the AFMAA (which wasn't that hard) :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the help guys.

Does anyone know, for people who aren't living on residence (like myself) how do they fit into things? Just show up, stay awhile and then leave? I realize you aren't going to get the "whole atmosphere", but anyone have any thoughts on this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote

Does anyone know, for people who aren't living on residence (like myself) how do they fit into things? Just show up, stay awhile and then leave? I realize you aren't going to get the "whole atmosphere", but anyone have any thoughts on this?

Not sure about frosh week, but probably. I mean, it's the same as living in residence, only instead of going back to res, you go home.

If you mean on a general basis, it's the same as any other upper year living off campus! Not too intimidating. And I'm sure you're aware your Watcard functions as a bus pass.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greygoose wrote

@caveman wrote

Not sure about frosh week, but probably. I mean, it's the same as living in residence, only instead of going back to res, you go home.

If you mean on a general basis, it's the same as any other upper year living off campus! Not too intimidating. And I'm sure you're aware your Watcard functions as a bus pass.

I meant for frosh week. Like won't I be missing out on stuff they would tell you to go to if you were in rez. I can't be at school from 8am to 12 pm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@caveman wrote
I meant for frosh week. Like won't I be missing out on stuff they would tell you to go to if you were in rez. I can't be at school from 8am to 12 pm

Well, if you pack food, I don't really see why not, but that's neither here nor there. Choose the events you think will be worth going to and attend those. There was a lot of stuff that was great, but a lot of stuff I thought wasn't so awesome.

It's not that hard, it's not like anyone gave me a detailed guide to frosh week three months prior... :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0