yconic - FSF4U (Grade 12 French) Discussions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

FSF4U (Grade 12 French) Discussions

A photo of brady23 brady23
How is this course going for the gr12s here?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23
This course is very hard for me only because listening and reading is so hard! I'm very good at writing, okay at oral presentations, but horrible in reading and listening! This is a course that I'll have to work very hard in!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
Man I'm in grade 11 right now (except the immersion grade 11 version), and this class is wooping me (I have like a 78-80) , I'm the opposite of you, my oral is good, reading is fine, but i couldn't write to save my life... God I hate subjective courses... I don't wanna take this next year, but if I do I get my immersion certificate, and I can see it helping me get accepted to places.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nalrad Nalrad
I've got this course this semester.

Do any of you guys who took it have any advice? Were there any really difficult parts of the course I should watch out for?

Also, what play/book did you guys read? We're reading The Phantom of the Opera (or rather "Le Fantôme de l'Opéra") and I'm interested in knowing what the other possibilities might have been.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

@Nalrad wrote
I've got this course this semester.

Do any of you guys who took it have any advice? Were there any really difficult parts of the course I should watch out for?

Also, what play/book did you guys read? We're reading The Phantom of the Opera (or rather "Le Fantôme de l'Opéra") and I'm interested in knowing what the other possibilities might have been.

I took it last year, but Grade 11 and 12 + IB stuff were kind of combined so I can't really say which parts were difficult. But I do know we read Manon des Sources... I liked it :)

The advice for French is the same as it always is I guess, practice lots and expose yourself to the language. Read books, watch movies, do those grammar worksheets, and try speaking it more often. :)

I think for many students, especially those not in immersion, speaking tends to be more difficult whereas we write better because of the heavy focus on grammar (sometimes I even find our grammar is better than those in immersion, but they seem much more fluent), so the only way to improve that is to speak and read more! Personally, I love French, so there are days when I try to think to myself in French, and speak it to friends/family (ie. my sister) who understand French.

So basically, regular practise is key. I've always found that French is not one of those things you can cram before a test/ exam (unless it's all spelling/ grammar with no reading comprehension or writing involved)... you just have to be comfortable with the language.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RML0245 RML0245
I had an 11/12 split French class (because of decreasing numbers at my school) and I felt like it was pretty easy overall. I didn't get as much oral practice as I could have used. We read the petit prince, which I'm not sure I liked.

As for advice, the key is to practice. There really are less verb tenses to learn in grade 12 than you did in 10 or 11, so if you did okay on grammar there you'll be fine. The bigger issue is writing an essay, but as long as you take time to write it well, it's not that big a deal. Listening is hard, but what I find helps is to watch any movies you like with the French audio. Even if you have English subtitles on, it's great practice. As for oral, try having conversations with friends in French...it can be kind of fun :)

Good luck to anyone who has it this semester!
Was this helpful? Yes 0