yconic - Functions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Functions

A photo of Valentini Valentini
Do any mathematical geniuses have an idea of what I should do in order to find the maximum of this function?

t(x)=-2(x-3)^4+1

I know that the graph includes the points (-1, -17) (1,-2) (3,-1) (5,-2) and (7, -17)

I also know that -1 won't be the maximum y value, however, I'm not sure how to find what the max. y-value would be.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to solve this?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of phylloconcrete phylloconcrete

@Valentini wrote
Do any mathematical geniuses have an idea of what I should do in order to find the maximum of this function?

t(x)=-2(x-3)^4+1

I know that the graph includes the points (-1, -17) (1,-2) (3,-1) (5,-2) and (7, -17)

I also know that -1 won't be the maximum y value, however, I'm not sure how to find what the max. y-value would be.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how to solve this?

I can't remember at all how you would do this in just functions, but you can take the derivative then solve for the critical numbers

t`(x)=-8(x-3)^3
for C.N., t'=0
x=3
so the local maximum occurs at (3,1)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
he doesn't know any derivatives, it's 11U functions.

Simplest way is you know the vertex of the quartic function is (3,1) so you can test if its a minima or maxima by checking the function value left of 3 and right of 3. you'll notice they're all less than 1 so (3,1) is the maxima.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rt7 rt7
u can note that -2(x-3)^4 <= 0. and the max is when it's zero, which is when x=3. and when x=3, y=1. there's your max.
Was this helpful? Yes 0