yconic - Future Teacher or Engineer? Help?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Future Teacher or Engineer? Help?

A photo of Carolecsuarez Carolecsuarez
This has been a big struggle for me because I can't seem to choose which path to choose. I really do want to go into engineering, especially civil engineering or environmental engineering. But at the same time I want to go into teaching maybe for french or music. I'm enrolled in a french extended program which is pretty much similar to french immersion and I'm probably more guaranteed a job as a teacher. I'd probably prefer elementary though. Would it be possible to be a substitute teacher adn at the same time pursue a career in engineering or would that be too much? :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I would say it would probably be too much to be a substitute teacher while being an engineer. Plus you would have to do a lot of school for that. Why not just be a tutor and an engineer? That'd be more manageable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You can switch from being an engineer to a teacher although i dont know if you will be able to become a music or french teacher. My grade 12 math teacher was a civil engineer before she decided to go into teaching. I think the idea of engineering while tutoring on the side sounds best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
Since you mention wanting to be a music teacher, you could always give private music lessons on the side. That would give you a lot more flexibility in your schedule.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue
Go get your engineering degree. Then once you have it, you can decide if it's for you or not. If you don't end up liking engineering, you can always go back to school for a year to be a teacher. You said you'd be more interested in teaching elementary, so you don't have to worry about all that "teachable" stuff. That said, if you did opt into teaching you'd most likely be stuck with math and physics as your teachable subjects if you did civil engineering in your undergrad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Carolecsuarez Carolecsuarez
Ah, thank you very much :)
I never really thought about tutoring. And maybe completing engineering first would be better? Do you know how long approximately would it take to become a teacher after?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725

@Carolecsuarez wrote
Ah, thank you very much :)
I never really thought about tutoring. And maybe completing engineering first would be better? Do you know how long approximately would it take to become a teacher after?

1 year in teacher's college, I believe.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ElainaWalker ElainaWalker
Substitute teaching would be the best option for you. You can teach few classes in a school whenever you are getting time. This would satisfy your passion in teaching. And then carry on with you engineering career. Also as far as pay is concerned engineering career would definitely pay you more as compared to that of teaching. But then it would be very hectic and you wouldn't get any time off, and it may happen that due to restlessness you are unable to give your best in both the profession. So you have to compromise one way or the other.
Was this helpful? Yes 0