yconic - General Life/Medical Science Questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

General Life/Medical Science Questions

A photo of nicka94 nicka94
I have applied to:
Western - Bio-Med
Western - Science
Queens - Science
MacMaster - Life Sci
MacMaster - Honours Kin

I recently got a couple mark updates and I'm really disappointed in what I have gotten. My marks have dropped quite a bit since before the break and I'm kind of panicking as to how much this will impact my chances of getting into these programs. My marks as of today are:
English - 88 *finished in summer school
Biology - 85-86
Chemistry - 81-83
Advanced Functions - 77 *was an 84 all year until the last test. have no idea how it was worth so much as i didn't fail or anything

Can any of you give me some answers about what the cutoff this year is likely to be. Other information about how my marks are shaping up to be, as well as any info on the programs is greatly appreciated as well.

If this is of any need, here are my relevant grade 11 marks:
Biology - 86
Chemistry - 93
Physics - 83
English - 81
Functions - 91
Marketing - 90

Thanks in advance,
Nick
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

This post was deleted

Well....thanks. thats a little bit disconcerting. Honestly, i have no idea how I'm doing so poorly in functions. throughout high school I've gotten 90s in math so right now I'm considering taking it again second semester. I can pretty much guarantee my second semester marks are going to be better anyways as this year is kind of an abnormality for me.

Anyways, do you think i should be applying for some other programs. If so, what would you recommend that is similar to the ones I've picked, either at the same schools or any that are considered pretty good. (I.E UofT, Waterloo, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amandeepsaharan amandeepsaharan
Western - Bio-Med: High 80's to low 90's
Western - Science: Low to high 80's
Queens - Science: High 80's
MacMaster - Life Sci: High 80's (88, to be safe)
MacMaster - Honours Kin: Why not try University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), need a mid-70's + its honors also!

There is so much competition this year. I don't want you to be stressed out but I think you have to be realistic. Yes your dream school might be those, but if your marks don't translate, then its not going to work and your going to end up staying another year just to UPGRADE! It is defiantly something you do not want to do. Your marks are good for university but just not competitive enough for the programs you are looking at. But hey! YOU STILL HAVE EXAMS! Just start studying, do like an hour of studying each day START TODAY! NOT TOMORROW, BUT TODAY! I guarantee your marks will increase.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

What about UWO Health Sciences? eInfo says that its low 80s and i have talked to friends actually taking it first year and they say its pretty similar to Bio-Med other than that you have to take the 'Health Sciences' course
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of amandeepsaharan amandeepsaharan

@nicka94 wrote
What about UWO Health Sciences? eInfo says that its low 80s and i have talked to friends actually taking it first year and they say its pretty similar to Bio-Med other than that you have to take the 'Health Sciences' course

I wouldn't really know, sorry because I too am a grade 12 student, but I am not applying for bio-med or health science, however have considered it last year. I mean it dosen't really matter what undergrad you do as long as you take courses or whatever that are required for graduate school whether it be med-school or master in occupational therapy etc... However, health sciences does seem like a good program. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@nicka94 wrote

Yeah, the cut-off for Health Sci is in the low 80s, usually about 83% I believe.

Health Sci students and Bio/Med students typically have pretty similar first years, but they diverge in second year.

For more info, check out these sites:
http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg626.html (this is just one bio program, there are other more specialized ones too)
http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg706.html (this is just one med sci program, there are many other more specialized ones too)
http://www.westerncalendar.uwo.ca/2011/pg410.html (this is just one health sci program, there are many other more specialized ones too)
Was this helpful? Yes 0