yconic - General Prices for Off-Campus Living?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

General Prices for Off-Campus Living?

A photo of lilyliu lilyliu
Hello!

I've applied to several universities and have gotten early acceptances for a few. It's at this time that I need to start considering housing as all these universities are far away from my house, thus making commuting near impossible.

I think I'd prefer off-campus living since it's cheaper, so I wanted to ask about the availability of near-by apartments and their approximate costs (with and without roommates) for the following universities:

- Guelph
- McMaster
- Queen's
- Waterloo

If you think On-Campus Residence is a better choice for a certain university, please explain why!

Any amount of opinion, advice, or suggestions is greatly appreciated! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I'm living off campus at Mac. I'm right in Westdale (neighbourhood near Mac with boutiques, coffee shops, small movie theatre, restaurants, TCBY, Pita Pit, Shopper's Drug Mart, convenience stores, banks etc). My house is a 10 min walk to campus, 2 min bus ride (bus stop is 2 mins from my house). I live with 3 housemates and we each pay $400/month for rent. Utilities are extra, and we each pay $50/month for those (digital cable + high speed internet, hydro, gas). There aren't that many apartment complexes near Mac (Waterloo has quite a few though), it's mostly houses.

From what I've seen, Waterloo off campus housing is more expensive (my ex lived in a 5 person apartment suite and paid $560/month with everything included, and my best friend lived in a 4 person house for $500/month with everything included). They have quite a few apartment buildings, especially on Lester St.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Definitely avoid residence. It's more expensive and not worth it.

Waterloo and Guelph all have good apartments in the area for about $650 inclusive. Add $100 for bills and $100 for food and you're set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rourachnitchai Rourachnitchai
Yeah, cuz I mean... rez isn't going to have any social benefits or anything.......
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Rourachnitchai wrote
Yeah, cuz I mean... rez isn't going to have any social benefits or anything.......

No, it doesn't.
Was this helpful? Yes 0