yconic - Genetic Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Genetic Engineering

A photo of steele steele
I'm doing a project on the Ethics of Genetic Engineering, and part of the project involves conducting a survey. I did the survey at school, but I wanted to get a bit more data. I figure that most people who come here are well-informed, and hopefully could answer two or three questions?

If so, here they are:

1) What is your:

a) Gender (m/f)
b) Age (under 17, 17-22, 23-28, 29-34, 35+)

2) Do you believe the use of genetic engineering to eliminate genetically-inherited diseases is an appropriate use of medical advancements?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

3) Do you believe the use of genetic engineering for purposes of altering traits such as hair colour, eye colour, or any other "cosmetic" trait is an appropriate use of medical advancements?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

4) Do you believe that parents have a right to change the traits of their offspring?

a) Yes
b) Yes, but only for therapeutic purposes (eliminating genetic disease)
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)

Thanks so much! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
64 replies

A photo of leviaidan leviaidan
1) What is your:

a) Gender: F
b) Age: 17-22

2) Do you believe the use of genetic engineering to eliminate genetically-inherited diseases is an appropriate use of medical advancements?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

3) Do you believe the use of genetic engineering for purposes of altering traits such as hair colour, eye colour, or any other "cosmetic" trait is an appropriate use of medical advancements?

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

4) Do you believe that parents have a right to change the traits of their offspring?

a) Yes
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
1) What is your:

a) Gender: M

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

1) What is your:

a) Gender (m/f)

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)

Thanks so much! :)[/quote]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
1) What is your:

a) Gender: f
b) Age 17-22

a) Yes

b) No

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
1) What is your:

a) Gender: F

a) Yes

b) No

c) No, never
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1) What is your:

a) Male
b) 17-22

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

1) What is your:

a) Gender: Female

a) Yes

b) No

Was this helpful? Yes 0

P.S. That's a very simplistic survey that does no justice to actually questioning the ethics of genetic engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@ARMY101 wrote
P.S. That's a very simplistic survey that does no justice to actually questioning the ethics of genetic engineering.

Agreed, but it's just for a high school project, so who cares...

Personally, I know we don't know enough about genetic engineering to be doing it on humans, so I'll answer this speculating that, in the future, genetic engineering will be good but not perfect.

1. a) M b) 23-28
2. Yes, absolutely.
3. No/maybe. It'll be awhile before genetic engineering is safe enough to justify using it for cosmetic purposes.
4. Yes, but only for therapeutic purposes - for the same reason as above. I think we are at least 20 years from being able to do this safely. Even then, I think this should only be done for conditions that manifest themselves prenatally. I don't think it should be used for congenital heart diseases, for example, that are mostly asymptomatic until they manifest in third or fourth decade of life. These can be treated with genetic engineering methods at that time. Prenatal genetic engineering is just too risky to be used in such situations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of firmament104 firmament104

But without a thorough discussion of the ethics behind GE, these questions are fallacious at best. I'm assuming there would be some regulations involved.

Agreed.

Appropriate since I just watched Splice. lol.

a) Gender (m/f)

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lashes wrote
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with Army.

But without a thorough discussion of the ethics behind GE, these questions are fallacious at best. I'm assuming there would be some regulations involved.

Right on bro :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
For any of you that have taken an interest to bioethics, y'all should watch Gattica.
I found it to be quite thought provoking, and a good movie to boot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/

It even has Jude Law in it ;)

(And Uma Thurman for the guys :P)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kaloolah wrote
For any of you that have taken an interest to bioethics, y'all should watch Gattica.
I found it to be quite thought provoking, and a good movie to boot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/

It even has Jude Law in it ;)

(And Uma Thurman for the guys :P)

And The Island.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of steele steele

@ARMY101 wrote

@lashes wrote

Yeah, it's more of a "where do you stand" poll as opposed to an actual discussion about the ethics of it.

...It's a religion class project :P

Anyway, all I've basically been asked to do is compile lots of research and arguments on the issue, present different ethical perspectives, throw in some first and second-hand statistics on public opinion, and then compare it all to the Catholic teaching.

It's pretty much just a research package, facts, data, etc. I'm not supposed to present my own arguments...which leads me to why I hate religion. You just gotta sit there and take it if you want the marks...:silent:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@steele wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@lashes wrote

Yeah, it's more of a "where do you stand" poll as opposed to an actual discussion about the ethics of it.

Anyway, all I've basically been asked to do is compile lots of research and arguments on the issue, present different ethical perspectives, throw in some first and second-hand statistics on public opinion, and then compare it all to the Catholic teaching.

It's pretty much just a research package, facts, data, etc. I'm not supposed to present my own arguments...which leads me to why I hate religion. You just gotta sit there and take it if you want the marks...:silent:

Totally ignore the ridiculous religious doctrine and look for actual academic arguments for and against genetic engineering.

For example, you'll want to look at:

Utilitarianism
Kant
Aristotle
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee

@ARMY101 wrote

@steele wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@lashes wrote

Totally ignore the ridiculous religious doctrine and look for actual academic arguments for and against genetic engineering.

For example, you'll want to look at:

Utilitarianism
Kant
Aristotle

Steele, if you're in grade 12 religion, you should know about Kant and Aristotle. I can totally see why you'd have to compare to Catholic teaching seeing as, from what I can tell, you go to a Catholic school. Kant, Aristotle, Lévinas are all part of the grade 12 religion curriculum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of saber33 saber33

1) What is your:

a) Gender M
b) Age 17-22

a) Yes

a) Yes

a) Yes

Obviously not my study, but I'm just wondering about the reasons some people believe it to be wrong for the parents to have the right to change the traits of their offspring. Parents have the right to do so in the case of male children(circumcision) and have the right over life and death (abortion). What problems does having the right to determine cosmetic traits do you see?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firmament104 firmament104

@saber33 wrote

Obviously not my study, but I'm just wondering about the reasons some people believe it to be wrong for the parents to have the right to change the traits of their offspring. Parents have the right to do so in the case of male children(circumcision) and have the right over life and death (abortion). What problems does having the right to determine cosmetic traits do you see?

It just seems ethically wrong. It may start with something simple like changing eye colour, but that can change to other things quickly. If you look at the aspect of making a body more adaptable to certain things, like playing with genetics to make someone taller or leaner or bigger...that changes what they might be. ie/ someone who may have turned out to be a great musician may turn out to be a football player because of their changed size. It's a way for the parents to decide what they want their kid to be instead of letting it have its own path. In addition, it's almost a way to cheat in competitive sports. (It's already started happening; athletes playing with their genetics/hormones).

It's probably going to happen anyway in the next 20 - 30 years, but I don't like it. It is a controversial subject, just as abortion is. There is more than one side to all of these questions.

But, anyway, to me cosmetic genetic alteration is not a morally attainable option. That is all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote
I'm just wondering about the reasons some people believe it to be wrong for the parents to have the right to change the traits of their offspring. Parents have the right to do so in the case of male children(circumcision) and have the right over life and death (abortion). What problems does having the right to determine cosmetic traits do you see?

Many people see it as "let God take his course" or "let nature take its course" and that the child should come out however it comes out, with all of its natural strengths and weaknesses without human interference.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@firmament104 wrote
It just seems ethically wrong. It may start with something simple like changing eye colour, but that can change to other things quickly. If you look at the aspect of making a body more adaptable to certain things, like playing with genetics to make someone taller or leaner or bigger...that changes what they might be. ie/ someone who may have turned out to be a great musician may turn out to be a football player because of their changed size. It's a way for the parents to decide what they want their kid to be instead of letting it have its own path.

The question isn't really whether parents should have the power though, all alone on itself. The question is also the standard it sets: if a person can just arbitrarily choose to ONLY have blonde haired-blue eyed babies, then what happens to all the red and brown haired babies? Do they become deviants? Are they undesirable? What do we do with them if we don't desire their traits any more?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
1) What is your:

a) Gender: M

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
b) No
c) Don't Know

a) Yes
c) No, never
d) Other (explain)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
The question isn't really whether parents should have the power though, all alone on itself. The question is also the standard it sets: if a person can just arbitrarily choose to ONLY have blonde haired-blue eyed babies, then what happens to all the red and brown haired babies? Do they become deviants? Are they undesirable? What do we do with them if we don't desire their traits any more?

That's only an issue if the vast majority of a country sees blond, blue-eyed babies as desirable. I presume that's an allusion to the Nazi ideal, but I don't see how this is a problem. In country's with large ethnic majorities (Saudia Arabia) will continue to craft children in their ideal of beauty. Country's with ethnic diversity will have a variety. I don't see how brown hair could eventually become undesirable because it's not a trait that leads to any benefit or detriment. In fact it may lead to those with brown/red hair becoming more desirable as their are fewer and fewer of them, so they seem exotic.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@saber33 wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

That's only an issue if the vast majority of a country sees blond, blue-eyed babies as desirable. I presume that's an allusion to the Nazi ideal, but I don't see how this is a problem. In country's with large ethnic majorities (Saudia Arabia) will continue to craft children in their ideal of beauty. Country's with ethnic diversity will have a variety. I don't see how brown hair could eventually become undesirable because it's not a trait that leads to any benefit or detriment. In fact it may lead to those with brown/red hair becoming more desirable as their are fewer and fewer of them, so they seem exotic.

The example that I used is widely repeated because it puts the parent's personal beliefs and judgments at the forefront and allows them to choose what they believe is beautiful, rather than just being "blessed" with whatever child they get. It's not that everyone will think that blonde is beautiful and "perfect" but if enough people do then they might begin to think one kind is superior to another.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I think that is a problem only if the state actively discriminates against those who don't choose to augment their children's genetics to conform to the ideal. Even without genetic engineering there are petty arguments anyways between people who believe blond or brown hair to be more attractive. Unless the government creates a culture of blond superiority it will never evolve into an actual conflict.
Was this helpful? Yes 0