yconic - Getting a Cellphone in a different area code and delivery of the phone
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Getting a Cellphone in a different area code and delivery of the phone

A photo of xshaddowsinx xshaddowsinx
So long story short, the phone that I will be getting for university will finally be my first one, so i have a few questions:

Firstly, I currently live in Markham, and am going to Waterloo, so I was wondering if I could get a phone here with a Waterloo area code?

Secondly, I was wondering if phones are always mailed to you later or if you could pick it up at the store, so that I know when to get it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes, you can change your cell # whenever you want, just let your service provider know.

Both are possible (mail/pick up), it depends on the availability of the phone really.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yes, i know that you could change it, but could you get a new one with a different area code than the store that you are at?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz

@xshaddowsinx wrote
yes, i know that you could change it, but could you get a new one with a different area code than the store that you are at?

Yes, you can. All you do is ask them to give you a Waterloo number and they will be able to set it up for you, regardless of where you are. Just make sure that you tell them you are a student, or else they may charge you for it.

I'm doing the same thing, getting an Ottawa # even though I'm from the GTA. And then when I go back home for the Summer I can just switch it back for free. Of course the downside of this is that you won't have the same phone number after you switch, meaning you'll have to keep updating your friends and family on your new number whenever you change it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks, I think that I get it now. But one more thing: Is it possible to order the phone now and tell them not to start my service until the beginning of September?
Was this helpful? Yes 0