yconic - Getting a MBA from the same school you got your undergraduate degree
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Getting a MBA from the same school you got your undergraduate degree

A photo of jeffk jeffk
So right now i have applied to 4 schools, Ryerson, McMaster, Laurier, and UofT StGeorge. I am planning to get an MBA. I want to get my MBA at UofT because Toronto has one of the better MBA programs, and i wouldn't have to go away to get an MBA. But lets say i go to UofT get my undergraduate and then i try to get my MBA at UofT as well, would it be detrimental to me compared to if i went to Laurier, and got my masters at UofT. Also i heard UofT is competitive and since they bell curve, would it just make it more difficult in general to get into a MBA program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Work experience is the biggest thing they are looking for. Many people do not get their MBA right after undergrad. And many people who go and get their MBAs are for example engineers who are looking to get managerial positions. A high GPA will help, but work exp. is more important.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jdot111 Jdot111
although im not going for a MBA but an MFE (Master of Financial Economics) i can tell you that getting your undergrad from UofT, Laurier or guelph does not matter if you plan to get an MBA. One of the professors who is on board of directors told me they are only allowed to admit a certain amount from each school for fairness. Yes UofT is hard but it will prepare you for your graduate level courses sufficiently.

as for work experience yes it does help you in a situation where say 100 people apply with same GPA, but one of those have 5+ years at a firm, it makes you stand out. most people wait a few years and then do MBA, like what g93 said.
Was this helpful? Yes 0