yconic - Getting Contact lenses?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Getting Contact lenses?

A photo of fruitpunch9 fruitpunch9
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting contact lenses this summer, but from what I've heard, they're not good for you if you wanna get laser eye surgery. Also I need to mention that the vision in my right eye is a lot worse than that of my left eye. I find it hard to maintain focus while reading for this reason. I dislike wearing glasses and usually I choose not to wear them unless I'm in class or sth.

What's your opinion on this? do you wear contacts? any health concerns??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
28 replies

A photo of Nyx Nyx
I like contacts.
I think that if you're not keen on wearing glasses all the time, then contacts are for you. You just have to make sure that you don't touch your eyes during the day, and follow the instructions for put cleaning the lenses.

I don't know about the laser eye surgery part though, sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
I just switched from glasses to contact lenses recently. I had glasses since grade 1, so it was quite a jump LOL. Honestly, i'm REALLY glad i did. I know this may seem silly to say, but if you don't have bad eyes, you don't really know what i'm talking about... but its amazing to be able to see your face without glasses. Like i could take off my glasses before and look in a mirror, bu i'd have to be inches away to see my face. But with contacts... it's amazing.

You can get different strengths for different eyes btw, so that solves your eye disparity problem.

As for the laser eye thing... i have never heard of such an issue. And why would contacts prevent you from having the surgery down the road, but not glasses? I see no correlation. It seems like a myth to me. But hey, maybe i'm wrong, i'd ask your optometrist the next time you go.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I've had contacts since grade 8, and they actually made my sight better (I used to worsen by -1.00 each year and now my prescription hasn't changed in about 5 years). Hard lenses stabilize your eyesight but since I wear glasses more now (I really only wear contacts for sports/going out), I switched to daily soft lens, which are more comfortable. My right eye is worse than my left eye but you can get contacts in 2 different strengths.

Never heard of the thing about laser eye surgery, I'm planning on getting that in 4 years and my optometrist knows that; he's never mentioned any concerns.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Not to scare you guys, but this might kind of scare you. A friend of mine was using hard contact lenses as part of a clinical trial many many years ago and she somehow got this SUPER rare bacteria ground into her eyes and now has had to have multiple cornea transplants and could become permanently blind (she is already legally blind). Now the lenses still passed the clinical trial because this was such a rare freak event, from what I understand. But stuff like that can happen, however rare. But you could probably just scratch it into your eyes with your fingers by accident, so who knows if the contact lenses played a huge role.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ktel wrote
Not to scare you guys, but this might kind of scare you. A friend of mine was using hard contact lenses as part of a clinical trial many many years ago and she somehow got this SUPER rare bacteria ground into her eyes and now has had to have multiple cornea transplants and could become permanently blind (she is already legally blind). Now the lenses still passed the clinical trial because this was such a rare freak event, from what I understand. But stuff like that can happen, however rare. But you could probably just scratch it into your eyes with your fingers by accident, so who knows if the contact lenses played a huge role.

OMFG this is so scary! Not infections!! I found this website that explains the differences between soft and hard contacts--

[url]http://www.protect-your-eyesight.com/soft-contact-lenses.html[/url]

"Another potential negative is that soft contacts are more susceptible to protein build-up.

Over time such build-up can distort or negatively impact vision. The build-up of protein also can cause discomfort."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@ktel wrote

I've heard similar stories. Another is people who wash their contacts in normal water. There are some amoebas that are in water that are harmless to us, but when they go in your eyes, the screw crap up.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

plan B--only wear contact in my right eye
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JeXx JeXx
Contact lenses are really a good plus, because first of all if you like to take pictures your glasses don't hit the camera (if you use the professional camera's and all)
If you have a boyfriend (or a girlfriend whatever floats your boat and whatever sex you are) Kissing is a lot more pleasant :)
Running and whatever kind of activity you do that consists of movement won't be such a burden because you won't be afraid of flinging your glasses off (that happened to me in jazz class haha :S)
And sometimes I find it amplifies your eye color. I wear clear contacts and I have blue eyes and if the light hits it a certain way my eyes go super blue. Another plus if you want to go crazy you can get other eye colors like purple and orange :) (I don't think they have glow in the dark ones though :(
Your contacts will most likely not get as dirty as your glasses because contacts are IN your eyes, and glasses our OUT of your eye so stuff can go on them and blablabla
Oh and when you open the dishwasher YOUR EYES DON'T FOG!! (the simple joys of life)

But you have to be careful, to change your contact container at least every six months about, (and it also depends on what kind of contacts you get, daily/monthly etc.) get a good solution that you feel comfortable with.

Know how to put them in correctly, (they'll probably show you how and all of this stuff so you'll know what i'm talking about)
If it doesn't feel comfortable take them out and try again and look if there's anything on them, I used to have cats and I would get cat hair on my contacts which is bad because I'm allergic to my kitties :( So be sure to see if they are clean,
And if it really still is uncomfortable, then just take them out,

Also be careful wearing makeup, with mascara i don't really get this but with some people it can dry your eyes out, and when you apply eyeliner be careful that you don't touch your contacts cause I've done that :S

If your conctacts fall somewhere or anything just throw them out, rather go with glasses than be blind right!

Anyways just sanitary stuff like that you should be ok with.
My friends mom used to wear contacts and she had a lasik eye surgery done and she see's fine. So I don't know who told you this but I think it would be good to research it before getting to any conclusions.

One thing that I do find annoying about contacts is that sometimes I go to bed, forgetting that I still have them on and I have to GET UP go in the bathroom put the LIGHTS ON, and take them out and then go back to bed

With glasses you just, TAKE THEM OFF!! haha
anyways hopes this helps you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I tried wearing contacts but I can't touch my eye for more than a second. It's just not right. Plus I look better with glasses anyway.

JeXx does make a lot of good points though. They get in the way a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
I wear soft contact lenses, and they're perfectly fine for me. It takes a while before you can get them, though- you may have to go through a few trials until the optometrists find you a pair that fits you right (not just prescription strength, but also shape). You will then have a trial for a couple of weeks. This is when you would practice putting them on and taking them off, and it's pretty difficult at first. But after that, if the lenses fit you correctly, it gets very simple. Just make sure you replace them accordingly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nyx Nyx

@JeXx wrote

Oh and when you open the dishwasher YOUR EYES DON'T FOG!! (the simple joys of life)

Or the oven! You can see those beautiful brownies you just made instantly :chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I've worn them for about 5 years. They are pretty safe as long as you're willing to take care of them. When I'm on the computer for a long time though, I switch to glasses cause contacts strain my eyes when Im on the computer too long with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme
I have dailies! its honestly so worth it!
-- just.. if your drinking take it out incase you pass out since its bad to sleep with them in :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nicoleviscek nicoleviscek
I have contacts and love them.
I have the same problem as you, but in opposite eyes... my left is worse than my right. The contacts just have different prescriptions.

You may find that the solution you are first given is not right for you.
For example, I had to switch from Opti-Fresh as I found it wasn't cleaning the lenses well enough and there was a lot of calcium build up.

My eye doctor still recommends laser eye surgery and said contacts do not worsen your eyes!

They're easy to use...I have two week disposables...Acuvue with hydraclear and love em.

If you have any more questions...MESSAGE:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nicoleviscek nicoleviscek

@JeXx wrote
Contact lenses are really a good plus, because first of all if you like to take pictures your glasses don't hit the camera (if you use the professional camera's and all)
If you have a boyfriend (or a girlfriend whatever floats your boat and whatever sex you are) Kissing is a lot more pleasant :)
Running and whatever kind of activity you do that consists of movement won't be such a burden because you won't be afraid of flinging your glasses off (that happened to me in jazz class haha :S)
And sometimes I find it amplifies your eye color. I wear clear contacts and I have blue eyes and if the light hits it a certain way my eyes go super blue. Another plus if you want to go crazy you can get other eye colors like purple and orange :) (I don't think they have glow in the dark ones though :(
Your contacts will most likely not get as dirty as your glasses because contacts are IN your eyes, and glasses our OUT of your eye so stuff can go on them and blablabla

But you have to be careful, to change your contact container at least every six months about, (and it also depends on what kind of contacts you get, daily/monthly etc.) get a good solution that you feel comfortable with.

Know how to put them in correctly, (they'll probably show you how and all of this stuff so you'll know what i'm talking about)
If it doesn't feel comfortable take them out and try again and look if there's anything on them, I used to have cats and I would get cat hair on my contacts which is bad because I'm allergic to my kitties :( So be sure to see if they are clean,
And if it really still is uncomfortable, then just take them out,

Also be careful wearing makeup, with mascara i don't really get this but with some people it can dry your eyes out, and when you apply eyeliner be careful that you don't touch your contacts cause I've done that :S

If your conctacts fall somewhere or anything just throw them out, rather go with glasses than be blind right!

Anyways just sanitary stuff like that you should be ok with.
My friends mom used to wear contacts and she had a lasik eye surgery done and she see's fine. So I don't know who told you this but I think it would be good to research it before getting to any conclusions.

One thing that I do find annoying about contacts is that sometimes I go to bed, forgetting that I still have them on and I have to GET UP go in the bathroom put the LIGHTS ON, and take them out and then go back to bed

With glasses you just, TAKE THEM OFF!! haha
anyways hopes this helps you!

Hahahah so true about opening the dishwasher...loved that comment JeXx!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I have used both and now permanently wear glasses all the time. Here's why:

1)Soft contact lenses can be comfortable and all but there are risks. Your sight is yor most important sense. Without it you are severely severely disabled. I don't want to risk it even though it may be 1% or whatever. I don't want to be in that unlucky 1%.

2)Contact lenses have to be cleaned carefully. You must notsleep with them. My friend did this and had to have surgery. Contact lenses will dry out in AC environments which is basically everywhere. You might get a dry eye which I did which will cause your eyes to become red and itchy.

3)Glasses are so stylish these days. There are so many modern stylish frames that you can find. Plus people will assume you're smart:bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cherrypie725 cherrypie725
I can't tell you the number of times I've been writing a test or giving a presentation and started getting dry, itchy, watery eyes because of my contacts. Haha it's kind of awkward when everyone thinks you're crying during a presentation.

That being said, I much prefer glasses... both for comfort and style reasons. I think my face kind of looks empty when I don't have them on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Viking21 Viking21
I've had glasses since I was in grade 5 but I could still see fine I just needed them some special occasions...as one eye was perfect and one wasn't. But from grade 8 I've been using glasses on a regular basis. The switch from glasses to contacts is TOUGH...I used to get soo pissed off some times...but u gotta keep at it. The main reason why I got them was that in school I play alot of sports so basically I was going through 2-3 frames a year.

Tips: I've been using contacts for almost 3 years but I still don't feel comfortable using the long term (hard) contacts. I still use the dailies. I'm used to the brand and the moisture level of the type. Also don't wear you contacts for more than 7 hours a day for 5 days in a week <--- Think about it like this...if you wear contacts for too long ur suffocating ur eyes (not good)...like my eye doctor says, "let them breath"

As for laser eye surgery...I have never heard of it. I really don't there is a major problem with it because if there was then doctors would mention it when we ask them bout contacts.

Even if you think u look better with glasses. I think you should still try them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KatrinaRose KatrinaRose
You should really talk to you eye doctor about this thing, random people on the internets are going to be all over the board and not necessarily have the best advice for your eyes.

But anyway, on the subject of wearing contacts, I sorta on the fence about them. My own eyes both have astigmatisms ( not perfectly round eyes ) and I am near sighted ( I see poorly the further away) added bonus with my astigmatisms I can't stay focused on something with out my glasses. So I wear glasses all the time.

Now I do have contacts but they don't work as good. I have to squint to make out a street sign down the block, things are not in focus how they should be(with glasses). I bought dailies for dance and modeling but they don't do anything to improve my eye sight and just dry my eyes out. I'd suggest getting a small pack of dailies, so you don't have to worry about infections and that stuff, and try them a couple times. Do different things in them see how they feel
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apollo2010 apollo2010
I wear contacts. Love them.
One of my eyes is weaker than the other, you get separate contacts and just don't mix them up. I use daily lenses because my eyelids don't let me keep a fresh pair of weekly or bi-monthly ones in comfortably.
As for the laser eye surgery thing, it doesn't, I was told it didn't when I figure got my contacts.
As for reading, you'll love them! Just talk to your doctor.
Hope all goes well! Feel free to send me a message if you need any help or brand recommendations.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kavilyn Kavilyn
Hi! I've heard nothing about contacts being bad if your going to get laser eye surgery, but you should check with your doctor.
I've been wearing contacts since i was 13 and I use soft, monthly ones and they're cool. However they don't stop your vision from getting worse. If you don't want your vision to get worse, then i suggest you check out the hard contacts which you wear only at night that shape your cornea during your sleep so wen you wake in the morning you take them out and u can see perfectly clearly (without any contacts or glasses!)
My brother had these kinds since he was 9 or 10 and they work perfect. His vision has been stable ever since.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pumpkinsoup pumpkinsoup
I might be one of the few people who switched back to using glasses. There was nothing wrong with the contacts but when they feel uncomfortable during class it feels like crying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JonSmith JonSmith
If you don’t like the look of glasses and don’t like the fuss of contact lenses, then LASIK it is for you. “Laser on your eye” can make even a grown man sweat a little, but it’s actually one of the safest procedures in medicine today. Success rates are in the high 90s and complications are easily treatable. Pain is minimal, although there is the unavoidable post-op discomfort.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted